Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Countersteering

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by madboy
    I think you're confusing outright speed with looking good. It's soooo much cooler to hang off the bike. And we all know that "cool" adds 30km/h to any cornering speed.
    Until you get passed on the outside of a corner by some Grandad who doesn't know how to hang off, just ride fast.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez
    A few on KB at the mo. Seems getting one knee down is
    more important than learning to counter steer properly these days.
    I was amused a all the "hanging off" that was going on on a recent KB ride,Funny,they didn't seem to be going around the bends as fast as the bandit though.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Until you get passed on the outside of a corner by some Grandad who doesn't know how to hang off, just ride fast.
    heh heh heh good one ! I think it's a Bandit thing too !!!! G.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza
    heh heh heh good one ! I think it's a Bandit thing too !!!! G.
    Hmmm Phil Turnbill have just dropped the price on a s/h naked 01 one, I think it is, with 52,000 up Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Bong
    How do you counter-steer for a corner? Do you lean first in the direction you want to turn then push on the handle bars in the opposite direction or is it vice-versa. Must one overcome the fear of falling from grace or just put some balls on and go. How low can you lean, how low should you lean.
    Is it best to hang off the bike when you lean into a corner?

Hmmm
    You will cover this in your lessons (which you will be taking won't you!). As I have recently been shown having an instructor show you exactly where to position your arms, knees, bum and head.

You can lean all the way over so that feet, pegs and possibly other bits are touching. Is that advisable, not really under normal road conditions.
    You should be able to stop within the distance you can see and stopping quickly whilst cranked over is not easy, it eats up too much traction.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    Black TLS
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    Use the most excellent "search" facility to check out all of the old offerings on countersteering.

I am amazed as to how many motorcyclists are unaware of this phenomenum. Demonstrate it to yourself at low speeds by pushing forwards on each grip in turn and observing how the bike turns in the direction you're pushing. This is countersteering at its simplest. The actual physics themselves are more complicated to explain. So I won't. Use this technique to practice weaving amongst catseyes on the road (when you've got no oncoming traffic, otherwise you may put the shits up a few cagers). Start at about 30kmh and increase your speed steadily as you gain confidence.

Just keep an eye out for the sheriff factor...they often have a problem with the "i was conducting counter steering practice" excuse...
    :spudguita

Bike
    Honda PC800

Countersteering

You'll hear other riders going on about countersteering and what it does.
    Dunno about you lot but egghead types going on about gyro this or that gives me a headache.
    Do ya really want to know what countersteerings all about?
    Find a long straight quiet bit of road.
    Ride up and down it slowly to make sure its clear of hazards.
    Now staying towards the middle ride up the road at 50km/h. Pull back on the left bar and push on the right bar gently. -so you are turning the front wheel to the LEFT
    Now do the same again this time pull the right bar and push the left. so turning the wheel to the right
    Which direction did the bike turn?
    Congratulations you now know about countersteering -easy innnit ?
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four
    Countersteering absolutely rocks Please practice it as it is one of the most usefull tools there is!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Time to cut out the "holier/more enlightened than thou" bullshit and the "slut" comments and let people live honestly how they like providing they're not harming themselves or others in the process.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo
    Then do the same thing but at 20kmph.... hehehehehe
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
    Jeremy Clarkson.

Kawasaki 200mph Club

Bike
    None any more
    The site's most excellent search facility using the word "countersteering" will reveal a myriad of most useful information and tips on this subject.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Nada
    Quote Originally Posted by 007XX View Post
    Countersteering absolutely rocks Please practice it as it is one of the mist usefull tools there is!
    Along with kissing your mirrors eh

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    The site's most excellent search facility using the word "countersteering" will reveal a myriad of most useful information and tips on this subject.
    ...But not as many as you'd find doing a search for "search facility"....

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    Yes, my teacher...

That'd have to be #1 on my list...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Time to cut out the "holier/more enlightened than thou" bullshit and the "slut" comments and let people live honestly how they like providing they're not harming themselves or others in the process.

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    ...and push on the right bar gently. -so you are turning the front wheel to the LEFT
    Now do the same again this time pull the right bar and push the left. so turning the wheel to the right
    ...But, but... but, i cant push the bar forward... I can push it down but not forward ????? WTF ?

Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    ....With tongue in and eyes open !

Bike
    08 CRF 450, 2K RSV-R
    I want to know how people get around without counterstearing, it should just come naturally to anyone on two wheels
    XLR8 Racing
    Spectrum Motorcycles
    Computerforce
    Metzler, Maxima oils

Thread Information