Thread: New Harley owner needs your help

Bike
    1995 Harley Hertiage Softtail

New Harley owner needs your help

Guys i have just purchased a 1995 Heritage Softail and bugger me as soon as I got home I couldnt start it as follows.

Symptom: Starter motor won't start. You can hear a relay pulling in when you push the start button but nothing else happens.

Additionally there is no nautral light, no horn, no indicators or stop light but the main lights work fine indicating the battary is fine (and I have checked). I noticed the horn and indicators stopped while riding the bike home and as soon as I stopped the starter motor was added to the list of things no longer powered.

I have checked the main ignition switch and volts are transported in and out on all the correct pins when turned.

I suspect it is a large fuse somewhere or a relay not engaging but can't tell and don't know where to look for such a fuse as I don't have a service manual yet. So can anyone tell me where to look for the magic fuse/relay of where I can get a wiring diagram in a hurry. Really like to have a ride this weekend.

Thanks a bunch.

SLP

Bike
    1981 Yamaha XS650SH chop
    Good place to start is with the fuses. Don't know your bike to point you in the right direction as to where to find them though.

See if you can download a manual, and an electrical diagram for your machine as well in case you have a short. You will know if the wiring is shorting out if it does it again.

The wiring diagram will give you a clue as to what circuit to start looking at and testing. If it is shorting out do not try and by-pass the problem by hot wiring it up as this will pass the load onto the next part of the wiring circuit which could well be something expensive to fix or replace.

Also check your battery voltage with a multimeter just in case it is a bit on the low side (multimeter cost $40 from DickSmith).

I try and carry a few spare fuses with me and a few tools just in case.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Bike
    1983 Ducati Darmah 2003 Ducati SS 1000ds
    bridge the solernoid and see if it cranks over.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX750-H1~2 (Pre 89 F1)
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Guys i have just purchased a 1995 Heritage Softail and bugger me as soon as I got home I couldnt start it as follows.

Symptom: Starter motor won't start. You can hear a relay pulling in when you push the start button but nothing else happens.

Additionally there is no nautral light, no horn, no indicators or stop light but the main lights work fine indicating the battary is fine (and I have checked). I noticed the horn and indicators stopped while riding the bike home and as soon as I stopped the starter motor was added to the list of things no longer powered.

I have checked the main ignition switch and volts are transported in and out on all the correct pins when turned.

I suspect it is a large fuse somewhere or a relay not engaging but can't tell and don't know where to look for such a fuse as I don't have a service manual yet. So can anyone tell me where to look for the magic fuse/relay of where I can get a wiring diagram in a hurry. Really like to have a ride this weekend.

Thanks a bunch.

SLP
    Gidday,
    Check static battery voltage with multimeter, a fully charged battery should have around 12.8 +/- .2 volts in it

Before getting as drastic as bridging the solenoid out, try charging your battery over night if it comes in under the above voltage measurements, if it's a sealed battery chances are the damage has already been done & it's poked in which case replacement is the only real course of action (Pull the top out of the battery once it's on the bench, if you can see the lead plates etc etc theres a good chance it's seen much better days...)

In the interim you can jump start it with another battery (if your going to use a car, DONT have the car running when you jump the bike, you risk spiking the electronics in the car when the bike starts etc etc) once started break out your trusty multi meter (set to Volts or something similar for measuring voltage) & stick it across the terminals on the battery (red = + black = -) you want to be seeing 14.5 ~ 14.8 volts across the terminals with the motor running at about 2500 rpm - this will give you an idea if all is well with the rest of the charging system...

Get used to the fact that Harleys shit regulator recticifiers with monotinous regularity - you can fit a Honda unit to most of them but this requires modifacation to the wiring loom which once done cant be easily reversed...

Give that lot a whirl & see how you go, something in the above should get you back up & running...

Cheers

To finish first - first you must finish... Oh b.t.w, which way doe's Turn 1 go & whats the lap record...

Bike
    Darmah, 888, B50SS
    I'd say that you're on the right track with a blown fuse or crook relay.
    I don't know Harleys at all but you need to find out where the electrickery bits are hidden and check them over first.
    Do the simple stuff first.
    ...she took the KT, and left me the Buell to ride....(Blues Brothers)

Bike
    Crashed it.
    My money is on a dodgy starter - too many short runs between cafe's & pubs.
    If it wasn't for a concise set of rules, we might have to resort to common sense!

Bike
    a red and blue 1 with custom art

diargram

if ya need a diagram pm me i have one scanned on my pc, hope it helps
    ride for freedom, ride safe, ride for me, and all the other bikers no longer able to ride

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Probably fixed by now, but does this one have a kill switch in the side stand?

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    Probably fixed by now, but does this one have a kill switch in the side stand?

I don't know of any Harleys with that feature so unlikely.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Probably low power in the battery - duff battery or duff charging system ( = duff regulator as the rectifier is inside it).

Sometimes they can kindof stick too - put it in gear and rock it back and forth to free it up.

Otherwise, do as the above people mentioned. If you are local to North Shore, I could take a look.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Thread Information