Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New hypothesis

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa

New hypothesis

Okay this is for all interested in two stroke bikes...the bike wouldn't start again today, had to push start it myself downhill on a main road when nothing was coming after work lol. I've checked the plug and it's not fouled, it's fine and dandy. It almost started on the first kick but died and consequently didn't start on any further kicks....hmmm a mystery indeed. My hypothesis is the battery is screwed and there isn't enough juice to get a spark, thats why it starts on the first kick sometimes, cos that battery isn't drained yet. After that there isn't enough in her to get the plug going. Now, anyone else keen to throw in suggestions? Ixion...most knowlegable person in two strokedom, how does one go about checking the state of a battery? Mmmm the new nija250r looks..no must not be tempted....the rg is a great bike and i luvs her lol

Bike
    WR250R
    I've had my KR running with the battery very flat (wasn't even enough juice to light up the neutral light lol). The indicators didn't flash, but otherwise, you wouldn't know anything was amiss.

Re: checking the battery. Go to Dick Smiths and buy the cheapest multimeter they have. I got one for $11 last year. The dial on the front should have a 0-20V (DC) setting, set it to that, put the red lead on the positive terminal of the battery, and the black lead on the negative terminal. Hold the flat sides of the probe things against the terminals, rather than the points. Wait for the number on the screen to come to a reasonable reading (generally somewhere around 10-14V, as a guess). The number will move around a bit, depending on how good a connection the probe things are getting, usually the largest number it gets to will be a reasonable indication of the voltage you are getting. A number larger than 12V means the battery is sweet. A number smaller than 12 means it isn't.

I'm a bit of a munt when it comes to electricity, but I have successfully checked a motorbike battery all by myself. With that in mind, any corrections to my method from those who understand electricity better would be appreciated.

Good luck getting it sorted! 2-strokes can be drama queens sometimes.
    Last edited by Rosie; 22nd January 2008 at 15:04. Reason: Added stuff

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    2-strokes can be drama queens sometimes...
    ...and the rest of the time they are Satan's Spawn.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    ...and the rest of the time they are Satan's Spawn.
    It's called "personality"!! Boy they have heaps of it too, that's why I love em!!
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    It's possible. But I doubt it. From memory the RG150 can be run OK with no battery at all (someone was doing it - Coyote ? ).

Are your lights working? If so, unlikely to be battery.

Once running does it idle cleanly and reliably at not much over 1000 rpm. Pull cleanly to the red line ?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    It idles under one thousand at the moment or just on one thousand. Once she's been thrashed a little then she'll idle at one thousand. I don't know whats wrong with it then. The bike shop will charge me an arm and a leg to fix it..so thats not an option. Yup the lights work perfect along with the rest of the electrics. Could it be the starter? Or the powervalves, or the...i give up lol

Bike
    Does it live outside? Try a cupfull of meths in the tank, and if possible drain the carb. Won't be the starter. Powervalvces is a possibility but a very remote one

Hard starting , but runs OK once started is usually something simple. If anything were seriuosly deranged it wouldn't idle nicely (two strokes are fussy about idling), or there would be Noises or it would splutter and miss or have flat spots.
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    Nein...it lives in a garage away from the nasty weather and bugs. Meths in the tank aye hmm how much meths *gut feeling tells me meths plus bike = bad lol*. She's got a minute crackle to her when she runs but nothing bad. She runs great once she gets going.

Edit: I'll take a cupful as an actual cup measurement.

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850
    Yo D, sounds like you're taking a lot of shit from this bike huh! Well done for persevering, I do hear lots of opinions that 2 strokes aren't too ideal for commuter style riding etc . Has anyone had a good look at the bike lately?

Bike
    small cupfull to one tankfull of petrol

Does your tank have a prime position on the tap.

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    It has a mains (tap pointing down), off (tap is horizontal) and reserve (tap is pointing up). I just filled that tank so i'll go put some in now. I took it to stephens but i changed the plug and started her and she started, should have thought to off her and then start her again. How long do i leave the meths to settle?

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    You havent mastered the 1/4 throttle, flick kick to starting an RG i suspect. Dont worry it will come little learner. Try not to flood the carbs too.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    '08 DR650
    asked ya last night if your batt was sweet chuck it on a charger anyway (cant hurt really)

I go with 1/2 a cup of meths to a tank, then just go for a wee ride

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    I apply only a little throttle when starting her, but i've been starting her for two months no problem it's not like i will all of a sudden forget everything and start flooding her lol.

Bike
    Oh. what fuel do you use, and have you recently changed brands or types?

Thread Information