Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladies'-only scooter training days

Bike
    2000 Suzuki Bandit

Ladies'-only scooter training days

Have you just bought a scooter? Or maybe you're thinking about buying one? Then come along and spend a few hours getting to know all about scootering with our team of experienced instructors in a safe environment. You can use your own scooter or one of ours. Lunch provided. $99.00 per person inc gst.

To be held at the Auckland Kart Club, Rosebank Road, Avondale.

Please email dione@triumphnz.co.nz for a registration form and more details

Dates are:

Sunday 10 February
    Sunday 2 March
    Sunday 13 April

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by EssGee View Post
    Ladies Only Scooter Training Days

Have you just bought a scooter? ... {snip} ...
    You cannot, in law, have a Ladies-only anything. You are a commercial operation. Your post has been copied to the Human Rights Commission in the form of a complaint.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grub View Post
    You cannot, in law, have a Ladies-only anything. You are a commercial operation. Your post has been copied to the Human Rights Commission in the form of a complaint.

nice! I was on the verge of taking you seriously..............

nearly got me.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    why ladies only? Just curious.

Bike
    Too many to count
    hold on, did you say ladies with bikes?

Bike
    2000 Suzuki Bandit
    The reason for it being ladies only is that some women feel easily intimidated, so we are endeavouring to provide a safe, friendly environment for the training day. No offence guys, if you feel you need some training I am sure we can put something on for you.

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    Maybe those women need to HTFU lol just jokes esgee. On a more serious note though, do you also provide classes for basic handling for women on motorcycles? Or just scooters?

Bike
    2000 Suzuki Bandit
    We don't do training on motorcycles, but AMCC have rider training days that cater for all classes. There are more details on their website www.amcc.co.nz

Bike
    '08 DR650
    some women feel easily intimidated
    Lifes tough baby, get a helmet

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    The reason for it being ladies only is that some women feel easily intimidated, so we are endeavouring to provide a safe, friendly environment for the training day. No offence guys ....
    Offence taken. That's just the attitude the Human Rights Act was enacted to shut down.

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    I reckon it is a little *a lot* unfair *after pondering it for two days* to say women get intimidated so we'll hold women only classes as i'm sure some guys too feel intimidated when first learning to ride. But it would just illicit the response that i'm an uncaring guy. Lol like squiggles said get a helmet....an HTFU.

Bike
    AX100 "Poppy"
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drider87 View Post
    i'm sure some guys too feel intimidated when first learning to ride.

I think that learning to ride and finding it intimidating/ scary/ challenging at first has much more to do with personality and previous experiences etc, ie the INDIVIDUAL than it does with gender.

Ok, I can see where this idea is coming from. In my experience there are many more male riders than female riders (when it comes to motorcycles, anyway... scooters are perhaps a different story). Women new to bikes might find the gender balance different to that that they face in other areas of life, and one way to read 'different' is to feel intimidated.

I see no problem with mentoring systems, but surely they should be extended to all of those wishing to benefit from them.

A supportive environment to learn in is beneficial to both men and women. It is far better to offer such an environment than to send illequipped/ inexperienced riders in out of their depth and expect them to cope just because they are male and should therefore somehow be hardwired to 'deal with it' and survive every time a new, potentially dangerous, situation occurs.

Personally, I have never felt intimidated (neither by my bike nor those I ride with), but I was fortunate to have capable mentors, and Dushy makes a valid point. Open these things up to everyone and then promote organisations such as WIMA, which have a specific interest in women who ride and will be able to help with networking etc., to those who are interested. Then everyone wins.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

Vegetarian Motorcyclists Unite

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanne View Post
    I think that learning to ride and finding it intimidating/ scary/ challenging at first has much more to do with personality and previous experiences etc,.............................................. ........... Then everyone wins.
    Vote Hanne for first lady?

Bike
    Hornet
    My two cents:

I used to get pissed off at UOA cause I'd get regular and unblockable emails informing me of the Tutakana programme which I couldn't attend, (free tuition and support network for black people only). I understand the programmes' need and purpose but imagine what the reaction would be if there was a white-only tutoring programme...

Anyway, now I'm going to contradict myself and say this:

We all know what the average/typical teenage male learner rider is like: everything to prove... put him in front of girls and it gets worse!

I say do what you want girls, but maybe offer a mixed one at the same time incase there are male scooter learners that are keen too.

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    Well here's one for you. There's a guy that I work with. He's a bit of a lowlife and not made of money so I try and help him out with advice etc where I can. I have been trying to get him to try a scooter from a hire shop to see if he likes it and reacons he could ride it to work from Henderson each day, thereby saving $1000 parking each year plus petrol etc. I also told him riderskills.co.nz does a get-you-started scotter course for 80 notes. But there is no way he will entertain that idea on the off chance that there might be some females on the course too ( this guy is 50 remember ). He would rather tough it out and learn the hard way ( by himself and binning etc ) than take a course coz a girl might be there and may catch on quicker than him. WTF? Sometimes he makes my head hurt!

Thread Information