Thread: Warped front discs

Bike
    1991 yamaha FZR 250

Warped front discs

I have two front disc's warped, actually I realized i bought them with the bike... (I though that my front break shakes cause it is very sports like ... I know ..dumb .. but ... before I did a full service, I told mechanics that my front brake is dodge , but they didn't find anything wrong with it... it is only when I complained again they found that both of disc were f***d , so I guess I am not the only one. They offered me two replacement disc's from jap, brand new ones for a 1000

* Now Is it possible to fix warped disc's ? (I know it can be done on a car)
    * Is there a good place for old bike parts? (I found used FZR disc's being sold in australia, reasonable price too(well comapring to the new ones)).
    * And can anyone advice on good mechanic that can fix them? (f1 engineering Hamilton, but is there any in Auckland?)

PS thanks everybody for help and support!!!

Bike
    Mid 80s superbike, Mid 00s superbike
    Before making the decision on whether to repair, or replace your current discs. You should check their thickness against the minimum spec which should be stamped on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Ok im coming out of my closet just this one time , I too kinda have a curvy figure which makes it worse beacuse im a guy. Well the waist kinda goes in and the bum pushes out. When I was in college the girls in my year would slap me on the arse and squeeze because apparently it is firm, tight... I wear jeans
    .....if I find this as a signature Ill hunt you down, serious, capice?

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by 4xe1 View Post
    I have two front disc's warped, actually I realized i bought them with the bike... (I though that my front break shakes cause it is very sports like ... I know ..dumb .. but ... before I did a full service, I told mechanics that my front brake is dodge , but they didn't find anything wrong with it... it is only when I complained again they found that both of disc were f***d , so I guess I am not the only one. They offered me two replacement disc's from jap, brand new ones for a 1000

* Now Is it possible to fix warped disc's ? (I know it can be done on a car)
    * Is there a good place for old bike parts? (I found used FZR disc's being sold in australia, reasonable price too(well comapring to the new ones)).
    * And can anyone advice on good mechanic that can fix them? (f1 engineering Hamilton, but is there any in Auckland?)

PS thanks everybody for help and support!!!

F1 Engineering in Hamilton!

Call Steve Bridge on 07 8476990
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    VL1500TK7

Warpped disc's

Dont panic too much. Do a run-out measurement first and check it against the specs. Many mechanic are confused by the pulsing in the brake lever and presume that it is warped without measuring it.
    It often is a contaminated disc from when they are real hot and you pull up to a stop and hold the brakes on, this leaves a small pad deposit on the disc which you can then feel as a pulse sensation through the lever. It can be fixed by fitting new pads and burnishing them in with a series of hard braking in third gear roll ons.
    I'd rather have a bike in front of me than a frontal lobotomy....

Bike
    1991 yamaha FZR 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Klark View Post
    Dont panic too much. Do a run-out measurement first and check it against the specs. Many mechanic are confused by the pulsing in the brake lever and presume that it is warped without measuring it.
    It often is a contaminated disc from when they are real hot and you pull up to a stop and hold the brakes on, this leaves a small pad deposit on the disc which you can then feel as a pulse sensation through the lever. It can be fixed by fitting new pads and burnishing them in with a series of hard braking in third gear roll ons.
    but the front break is actually pretty bad when I use it, it's like I am riding on bumps, fells like pads griping and then slipping...and then when speed is low pads just block the wheel , besides break lever doesn’t pulse during this. Ill try out what you suggested anyway. And if it doesn’t work I’ll take it to Hamilton.

Thanks for the advice!

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    Match the rotor up with another, more common model. Brand new disks and carriers are around overseas and are usually cheaper than OEM.

http://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn?oid=2147858
    http://www.patternparts.net/stock_re...1&model_go.y=9
    http://www.denniskirk.com
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    GSF1200sk3, DR650k6
    Blog Entries
    if the disc is warped and the pads are good you should see a spot on the disc surface where the shine is less or you can tell the pads dont actually touch it there

Thread Information