Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: white power

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    From my understanding, a simple feedback loop control could be built with a positional sensor on the damper stroke and a microcontroller and a valve to regulate the oil flow. Then you could have any charactoristics you would ever want. Once you have the physical stuff (valves and controller) then it is just a case of software.
    You could have the crappyist valve in the world and the software would just drive it to control the damping. So long as it could open wide and fast enough not to get into a turbulent flow condition.
    1) Its not as simple as you make out. Bending shim stacks doing a surprisingly great job of modulating oil flow. I would have to wonder about the frequency response of electronic valves?

2) Ohlins have been at the forefront of selling and ongoing development with their CES electronic control valve for cars for many years. Over a million delivered to major car companies. Passenger cars on relatively smooth surfaces are less of a challenge than say the Audi Le Mans cars which use conventional hydraulic Ohlins dampers to very good effect

3) Cost, especially development

4) Be patient, if the system ( anybodies ) was foolproof and adequately developed it would already be out there

and 5 ) As someone else broadly eluded to there is a parallell to how long carburetors have survived. Given that many of the fuel injection systems on many of todays bikes are by no means perfect one has to wonder

The theory is fine in practice but.....is it working well enough yet?

is the market actually ready for it?

what is it goinG to cost in development and what is the commercial risk?

ETC

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    So long as it could open wide and fast enough not to get into a turbulent flow condition.
    Probally not quick enough...for racing conditions...having a track mapped for acceleration points,bumps,braking..etc...etc...and having the suspension react accordingly would be nice...but real world...electronics would be hard pushed to react to damping as it happens...as...as the sensor is detecting...it should already be reacting and should already have reacted!! to late!

I'm sure there are advance's to be made in this area...by combining engine torque inputs and braking inputs too, different low speed damping rates via sensors to allow for softer damping mid corner for bump absorbtion and keeping a close to ideal ride/geometry and more resistance to the forces of acceleration and braking...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Passenger cars on relatively smooth surfaces are less of a challenge than say the Audi Le Mans cars which use conventional hydraulic Ohlins dampers to very good effect
    I dunno if conventional is the right word Robert.

Don't they have a very technical balancing valving system and resivour between left and right side dampers to keep more inside pressure on wheels for grip while cornering???
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    I dunno if conventional is the right word Robert.

Don't they have a very technical balancing valving system and resivour between left and right side dampers to keep more inside pressure on wheels for grip while cornering???
    Indeed they do. But again I emphasise that the application is arguably less challenging for passenger car use.

Thread Information