Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CentOS or Ubuntu?

Bike
    CharlesidealOB
    Blog Entries

Question CentOS or Ubuntu?

Gonna drop Fedora on the next server upgrade. Tied of the short support time for each release. So am looking for comments on CentOS and Ubuntu from people who have experience running either as a server. Not interested in what they are like for workstations.

CentOS is RedHat based, so will be very familiar.

Ubuntu is Debian based, but nothing wrong with learning a new distro. The server edition has a guaranteed 5 years support which is swaying me towards Ubuntu. And their website is nicer.

My main concern is support. How often/quickly updates for security/bug fixes are released and how long each version is supported for.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    We use CentOS for our servers and workstations at work. Can't really fault it. The only problem I have with it is that it's Red Hat/Fedora based and I've never been a fan. However, seems to be easier to use and maintain because it doesn't seem to be as far removed from your average *nix than Fedora is. I always found it bloody annoying trying to figure out what the equivalent command for something in Red Hat was. But it's a decent base OS for running a server.

I've always preferred doing things using sudo rather than login in then going su. Mainly because I have a habit of walking away from my keyboard for undetermined lengths of time and leaving the thing logged in as root. I've also always preferred Debian over most (although I still stubbornly stick with Slackware on some machines) and use it on my home server.

Main point of difference is that CentOS installs SElinux (Security Enhanced Linux) by default whereas ubuntu doesn't. Unfortunately CentOS installs X and all the gui crap that isn't needed while ubuntu server installs command line only.

The Debian based distro's have an apt source for security related patches that you can update from every day without updating anything else on the system. Haven't found anything like that for CentOS.

The current ubuntu server release isn't (I think) an LTS version, but the previous version is with support for 5 years.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    None, sold.
    I've used debian for a few years over a few things and have never had a problem. So, my vote would be for debian, but if you're going to insist on one of the two I guess it would be ubuntu.

BTW, considered putting the site on a VPS slice? Slicehost (http://www.slicehost.com/) are cool and support two flavours of ubuntu, debian and centos. Even gentoo for the freaks.

Dave
    Signature needed. Apply within.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    As long as its says.....''thank you for login in Maha'' when I do, then I dont care what you do you Spank....Cheques in the mail.

I mean that in the nicest possible way

Bike
    yamaha FZR-R EXUP, 1989
    Debian ftw. What advantage does ubuntu-server-version have over debian, more politics?

Debian based package management is the best i've found.

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Quote Originally Posted by Dargor View Post
    Debian ftw. What advantage does ubuntu-server-version have over debian, more politics?

Debian based package management is the best i've found.
    Which is what Ubuntu has as well, being Debian based... Although, yum has caught up a bit with apt and isn't as bad as the rpm management tools that were there back in the day that I last had to deal with it (rug or something? horrid).

And to answer your question re advantage - Ubuntu is a little less anal about GPL compliance from what I can see, though that's more relevant for a desktop than a server.
    Redefining slow since 2006...

Bike
    Gone
    Debian/Ubnutu. I run debian on all my servers.

Yum is arse. That said the last fedora I used was Fedora Core 6.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe
    My main concern is support. How often/quickly updates for security/bug fixes are released and how long each version is supported for.
    Debian are good with bug fixes. And Ubuntu has a LTS version (Long Term Support) which is good.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Ubuntu LTS. As long as you don't use it as a development box, or build stuff from source packages, it should sit there solid as a rock for eons.

Make sure the hardware you run it on is super-generic so there are no issues with wierd module-assistant stuff.

Update it manually every few days or weekly. Run the update at such a time where it wont keep you up all night should borkage occur.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    None at the moment
    for my two cents worth I have found Ubuntu ultra reliable for a home PC. CentOS I have had no experience with, but Ubuntu is bloody good....I am currently on Suse and hate it!

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    my thought on this matter???

thats right.. they are blank

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    KTM 950SM, '78 X7, FZ750, GN250
    Ubuntu send out free install CDs, which I use as coffee coasters.

Bike
    2013 lil red tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Trousers View Post
    Main point of difference is that CentOS installs SElinux (Security Enhanced Linux) by default whereas ubuntu doesn't. Unfortunately CentOS installs X and all the gui crap that isn't needed while ubuntu server installs command line only.
    CentOS 5 gives you the option during install to disable the SElinux, so shouldn't pose any problems.
    The gui crap can be biffed during install too. You just need to take your time and do it all up front, not just accept defaults during installation...

I run CentOS on a server running apache etc and Database (MySQL and Oracle 10g) and it performs quite well. Haven't had any issues with security/patching etc.
    May be a little different if you want it for workstation - would look at ubuntu for that, even if it was just to have a play...
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by turtleman View Post
    CentOS 5 gives you the option during install to disable the SElinux, so shouldn't pose any problems.
    The gui crap can be biffed during install too. You just need to take your time and do it all up front, not just accept defaults during installation...

I run CentOS on a server running apache etc and Database (MySQL and Oracle 10g) and it performs quite well. Haven't had any issues with security/patching etc.
    May be a little different if you want it for workstation - would look at ubuntu for that, even if it was just to have a play...
    I use CentOS with SElinux on a couple of important machines. They're hard as fuck to break into but that makes it a real pain in the arse to setup stuff on them.

Out of the box CentOS with SElinux is way more secure. Ubuntu has dedicated critical security fixes apt sources you can update from daily but CentOS you have to watch out for vulnerability announcements and patch them yourself.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Trousers View Post
    I use CentOS with SElinux on a couple of important machines. They're hard as fuck to break into but that makes it a real pain in the arse to setup stuff on them.

Out of the box CentOS with SElinux is way more secure. Ubuntu has dedicated critical security fixes apt sources you can update from daily but CentOS you have to watch out for vulnerability announcements and patch them yourself.
    hey .. thanks for that info... it will be very handy when we next have a site meeting.. the boys will love to know this...

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.
    Ubuntu. I hate RPM so much I cry when I have to deal with it.

Which is stuff all these days.

Thread Information