Thread: 2008 Nationals Rounds 1 – 3 Report

Bike
    2010 Yamaha XT250, 2008 BMW F650 Dakar

2008 Nationals Rounds 1 – 3 Report

I think this story starts back in June but I won’t go there and bore you with the details, instead I’ll skip forward to January and the story of how I ended up at Round 1 of the 2008 Nationals at Ruapuna. After anticipating the arrival of my completely rebuilt, fastest SV in the country for a number of weeks, its eventual arrival 2 weeks before heading south gave me limited track time to get things set up. A few laps of Taupo and a day at Pukekohe with completely the wrong sprockets didn’t do anything at all for my confidence and I nearly canned the whole idea of going to the south island at all.

Actually just getting to the start line was miracle enough after driving all the way to Christchurch non-stop overnight and pulling into the campground to have the trailer drawbar snap taking the chain with it…

That aside, the first round at Ruapuna was going to be a challenge for me mentally (read no time on bike and 5 crashes in the past 6 months) and physically with my shoulder still giving me grief and a lack of track fitness to boot.

Practice day Friday my times were so hideously embarrassing I refused to tell anyone what they were. Over the course of the weekend I managed to drop a total of 13 seconds off my times but qualifying on Saturday morning I was still working on this and so ended up last on the grid…

Despite my last place start (not to mention missing the start completely in race 2 and having to start from the dummy grid – yay for Ruapuna’s sound system…) I never actually came last in a race which pleased me. Had some great battles at the back of the pack and really enjoyed the ride. After all, it’s why we are there!!

Huge thanks to Rodders for pitting for me all weekend – there were so many things still to be sorted out on the bike I never would have achieved it all without Rodders!!!

With the trailer welded back together and a couple of days relaxing in Christchurch it was time to head to Timaru and Levels. My confidence on the bike was improving by the day and with an extra day of practice on the Wednesday; I headed into Friday practice feeling good. Better qualifying here and again some great racing. Times still not fast enough to really be playing with the big boys but at least I could keep them in sight! Levels is a fun track and I definitely enjoyed it more than Ruapuna. Thanks to Kerry Dukie working consistently on my suspension, the bike was handling well and the engine was working great.

From Levels I spent a couple of days in Oamaru where Andy Bolwell spent every spare moment he had checking the valve clearances on my bike and making a few tweaks here and there. Apparently my SV was the first to ever grace his workshop floor. New sticker to be added to bike: “Boost by Bolwell” © Eric De Boer aka Feral1. A huge thanks here to Andy for giving up his free time to help me out.

After my two kiddies had scared enough Oamaru penguins to get us kicked out of town, we headed south to Invercargill. By now I was starting to feel tired after nearly 3 weeks on the road and 4 days a week on the track and I woke up Thursday morning with a cold. This was my first time at Teretonga though and my goal had been to try and be on pace with the boys by this round. What a great track – I love the huge sweeper at the end of the front straight although watching Eric cartwheel off into the dust followed a lap later by Tom Bos was interesting…

The biggest thanks for this weekend goes to Andy Bolwell who sat me down and talked through some different options in terms of gearing and gear changes. Although the between race sprocket change didn’t work, the rest of it did and by the last race I was finally playing with the pack – even beating Tom Bos! (I think he had bike problems but I’ll take the credit, thanks…)

Some statistics for those of you interested:

Ruapuna: fastest lap: 1.48.6 (top guys doing 1.39ish), best placing: 10th
    Levels: fastest lap: 1.15.7 (top guys doing 1.10ish), best placing: 10th
    Teretonga: fastest lap: 1.08.4 (top guys doing 1.04s), best placing 10th.

Over the course of the three rounds I went from 10 seconds behind the winners to 4 seconds behind the winners so I’m pretty happy with that. My theory, of course, continues to be that although I may be last, at least I’ll look good doing it…

Huge thanks to those people who helped get me to the start line and to those who helped out along the way: Paul from Cardales Stationary City Albany, Chris, Tony, Corinna, and Ness from Haldanes Motorcycles, Billy from Autocycle Refinishers, Steve from www.kiwitrackdays.co.nz, Pirelli, Rick from Pawson Reid Velo who do Dainese and Diadora, Andy Bolwell, Kerry Dukie, Rodders, Kevin (Bubbles), Gav, Aria, Tim, and Chris.

Biggest thanks go to the youngest pit crew in the world: My two kiddies Ben and Sally ages 9 and 7 who did my stands, tyre warmers and fuel on every practice day, drove me crazy the rest of the time, but gave me the biggest hugs when it all got too much.

Biggest, biggest thanks to Gordon who flew down from Auckland every weekend to help me out and has put up with me trying to do all this racing stuff for far too long.

Roll on Manfeild and Pukekohe!!
    Exploring pastures anew...

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Keep in mind you are out there playing with either the best in the country or the best of theat tracks local talent. You finished every race which is better than some .
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    FXR1fiddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystone19 View Post

Despite my last place start (not to mention missing the start completely in race 2 and having to start from the dummy grid – yay for Ruapuna’s sound system…) I never actually came last in a race which pleased me. Had some great battles at the back of the pack and really enjoyed the ride. After all, it’s why we are there!!

...Better qualifying here and again some great racing. Times still not fast enough to really be playing with the big boys but at least I could keep them in sight! Levels is a fun track and I definitely enjoyed it more than Ruapuna. Thanks to Kerry Dukie working consistently on my suspension, the bike was handling well and the engine was working great. ...

...Although the between race sprocket change didn’t work, the rest of it did and by the last race I was finally playing with the pack – even beating Tom Bos! (I think he had bike problems but I’ll take the credit, thanks…)...

...Over the course of the three rounds I went from 10 seconds behind the winners to 4 seconds behind the winners so I’m pretty happy with that. My theory, of course, continues to be that although I may be last, at least I’ll look good doing it…

Good report Jill and good to see you were having a good time at the end of it all.

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Good stuff Jill..
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    SV400
    Good to hear how your going. Best of luck with the north island rounds.

That drawbar incident sounded lucky. Glad it didn't happen on the road.

Was good to see you out there again Jill, and even better so see you attaining the goals you set for yourself.

The next 2 rounds should be very interesting i reckon.

Bike
    aprilia

go jill

great to see your confidence returning, you will be all go for manfield and i bet you get a top 8 finish at the last round.
    good luck and don't pass tom boss again please......lol
    its good to see you catching the front guys, you will be there soon....

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    And look at the time differential to the fast guys shrinking each round. You can be very proud of your achievements

Bike
    600RR3
    Good stuff Jill.

By my calculation (such a typical Finance geek):
    Ruapuna: 10% slower than leaders
    Levels: 7% slower
    Teretonga 6% slower

That's some genuinely good progress

Will be good for you to get out on the tracks that you know well, and with a bit more race fitness. Take it easy and take it to 'em

Bike
    Yamaha R1 S & ZXR400 F3 racer & Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystone19 View Post
    From Levels I spent a couple of days in Oamaru where Andy Bolwell spent every spare moment he had checking the valve clearances on my bike and making a few tweaks here and there. Apparently my SV was the first to ever grace his workshop floor. New sticker to be added to bike: “Boost by Bolwell” © Eric De Boer aka Feral1. A huge thanks here to Andy for giving up his free time to help me out.

Real nice write up Jill. Was good to meet you (and your friend Aria).
    We had a lot of fun wif your SV in the workshop...
    Interestingly enough, the only chunck of fairing on my bike that wasn't completely fucked after the tripple summersault pike flip at 180km/h in invercargill was the piece wif the 'Boost by Bolwell sticker on it.... good omen....
    I'll definantly be following you around at manfield chicky, I've never been there so be cool to learn the place. We're lookin forward to it.
    Now, must stop procrastinating. Fibreglass should be dry enough, time for the outside coat...
    Feral

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Awesome Jill! Nice one!
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Ah nice work, and thanks for the daily updates!

Bike
    empty garage )-:
    Good stuff Jill. All the best for the North Island rounds. Sorry I will be overseas during both North Island rounds and can't come to support you. I am currently working hard on brownie points so the wife will let me go back racing in 2009/2010 with a plan to do S Is rounds as well as the north (especially if the north island rounds are LONG track Manfeild, Taupo and Hampton Downs!!!!) in 2010.
    "...New Zealanders, for all their faults, have virtues that are precious: an unwillingness to be intimidated by the new, the formidable, or class systems; trust in situations where there would otherwise be none; compassion for the underdog; a sense of responsibility for people in difficulty; not undertaking to do something without seeing it through - "
    Michael King

Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Way to go Jill, must feel good to be back on your fav machine. Keep up the ever improving effort -see ya at Paeroa ?
    Glen

Bike
    2010 Yamaha XT250, 2008 BMW F650 Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by codgyoleracer View Post
    Way to go Jill, must feel good to be back on your fav machine. Keep up the ever improving effort -see ya at Paeroa ?
    Glen
    No...

I missed the entry deadline.
    Exploring pastures anew...

Thread Information