Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools required for a motorcyclist

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    You've pretty much covered the field there, Dave.
    The only things I'd add are one of those telescopic magnet thingos (having had four 4-engined bikes, I know they all have a black hole installed in the engine V, and the only way to retrieve bits that disappear is to either turn the bike upside down and shake it, or probe away with a magnet on a stick.

Also, I have a pair of needle-nosed vicegrips that I've used possibly more than any other tool - not for bastardising nuts'n'bolts, but for holding things. It's also the only thing I can use to remove the restrictor from the Satantune.

A friend of mine in the US bought me a set of those ratchet spanners when he was collecting parts for me. They cost him US$10, and sell here for ~$50. They're not as good or strong as a socket set, but very useful for confined spaces.

A hot air gun can be useful too.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    SV400
    I'm going to suggest a timing light as well but with modern bikes hardly necessary.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Comfy chair or two.
    Bottle o Bourbon.
    Favourite mind altering drug of choice. Pillow.
    All required for those moments when jobs turn to shit, mrs tells you "stay out there!", and when mates drop by.
    Sorry dave, but after spending 40+k on tools, the enthusiasm is waning.

If you people plan on doing a lot of their own work. Buy midrange. Otherwise you'll be overspending.

Bike
    SV400
    Valve tool,Bead Breaker and tyre spoons/levers would be great for anyone that wants to save a few bucks. Car tyres are also alot easier to change than you may think too.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Bah you can do everything with the kit under the seat lol
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    SV400
    Other stuff you really must have is antiseize. penetrating oil and some select loctite products.

Also selections of nyloc nuts, bolts, washers, splitpins etc etc etc.

These are all consumables but you will be screwed if you don't have them and will find youself off to the hardware if they are open half way thru a job.

Good quality grease and a greasegun for suspension linkages but these days you don't see to many grease nipples. (Cost cutting I suspect)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Socket sets

Yes a very opinionated subject, everybody has an idea & I’m by no means advocating that my particular bias is correct. Preference.

I have 3 sets but was trying to make it cheaper to start off on.

I have ¼ for tiny stuff, hardly ever use it, nice to have.

3/8 was my first motoguard set I misappropriated from my dad. Pretty low quality but has lasted & great for 8 & 10mm & sparkplugs + my beloved 3/8 socket allen set (how could I have forgotten? Actually there is a heap I have forgotten but I had to make a start on the list, this is a thread I’ve been thinking about for a few months starting, just never had the time).

But my fave is my ½” set. I bought a elcheapo OSMO set back about ’82 for $30, back when no one had ever considered that the Chinese would make tools & tools were expensive so $30 was only going to buy crap. But I got lucky. They were 6 point hex made with enough precision that I will never go back to 12 point sockets. The year before I put a crack in the 17mm but that’s it. I got given a Tipco ratchet which is a dam sight older than I am, close to double? but is lovely to use.

Didn’t include ratchet spanners as they are expensive for what they are. But they are nice, time to update the list a little. I only went for 10/12/13/14.

Handy tip: I can tell the size of a spanner or socket from looking at it quickly, but the only one that catches me out is the damn 13mm. Silly idea really & the Japs don’t use them, but sadly they are ingrained in our system & lets not even mention euro bikes that have all sorts of crazy sizes.

Paint doesn’t stick on long so I have a bit of heatshrink over my 13 spanners & a grind line on my 13 socket so I can tell the diff at a glance.

[edit] I have also got a Metrinch (sp) wall driver set. These are great for rounded off heads as they drive on the wals rather than the points. However I have found I virtually never need to use them as the 6 pointers are so good. Also they are a pain for everyday use as they slop around on the bolthead.

Impact socket set is good as well esp deep walled one. Hardly ever use it but I know it's there. Might have saved me cracking my 17 if I'd not been so lazy haha.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    I also have three torque wrenches..1/2" drive, 3/8" drive and 1/4" drive. I always tighten the fasteners to the service manual recommendation
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    Honda PC800
    ooops--yea torque wrench
    silly me
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Missile
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    ooops--yea torque wrench
    Tut tut Frosty. You're losing it... Heh

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well people are poking holes which is what I kinda was asking for. As I said though it was to be a list to get started with rather than a lets scare everyone off I can never afford this sort of thing.

I have everything listed so far with the exception of extractors. Never had the need for them or rather had found other ways around. I didn’t include a lathe or Mig, but damn they are useful. Just don’t go crazy spending money if you can pay someone else several times to do a job you will not get the money back on.

Crap. Did I not put torque wrench? Oh hold on

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ok I will update the list as it matures, but I might temper it slightly so as not to be a list of every tool produced.
    Plastic faced hammer for example? Well you don’t have to have one, its just nice. I use mine all the time. Oh crap. Bad example.

Ok so where to buy tools?

Where everyone gets a bargain? No they have not stepped up to the plate or even attempted to with the exception of the rubber mallet.

OK so most people will attempt to shop at M10, Supercheap or Ripco. Indeed there are some worthy tools here but one has to be very careful. There is also some junk. A lot of it. Anything to do with fastners buy reasonable quality.

Fullers, Sidchrome, Repco, Motorgaurd all are medium quality, they used to be considered bad quality but have lifted their game. Unbranded stuff avoid.

While we would all love to be using top label stuff most cannot afford if they need to buy other tools as well. My fav 10mm ring-spanner is a Stahwhile (sp) thin accurate & no idea where it came from. Only issue with the larger ones are they thin & cut into you when you lean on them.

Check out places like engineering supplies. Their lower level stuff like Teng, Kingchrome etc is sometimes on special & great value.

I guess trademe might have some good 2nd hand stuff, but please make efforts not to buy anything stolen. Also there will be a lot of people trying to sell low grade new stuff that pictures well for a decent wad more than it’s worth.

Several cans of satin black.These days I prefer the black zinc spray,it's really tough stuff.

Socket sets,I'm with Frosty.As a pwofessional I use 3/8in for 80% of my work,and 1/4in for 15%.....the 1/2in is only used on the impact gun.

Bike
    2001 GSX1200
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    when you are tempted to bash with hammer or other tool
    Screwdrivers Both Flatblade & Crosshead. Several sizes of each. Cheap ones will let you down. Push when using cross head. Screwdrivers are not levers, never use them as such.
    I'm a bit wary of bundling all 'Crosshead' screws/drivers together. Too easy to damage either the head or the driver by using the wrong one. I guess most on bikes are Pozi rather than Philips, but it's handy to have both - and be able to tell the difference

Richard

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I think the emphasis should be on QUALITY
    I sometimes get asked if I want tools for Birthdays n stuff and ALWAYS they tell me they could buy a WHOLE set for the same price as one single spanner or screwdriver
    A quality tool will literally last you a lifetime as a non professional mechanic and a fair few years if used regularly by a professional.
    I've been a customer of the sulco tools truck for years as well as the local engineering supply company
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Thread Information