Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools required for a motorcyclist

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    This is how you tell an Asian ''Crescent'' tools too - they work backwards compared to genuine Crescents and quality copies.
    I've had several arsy boo adjustable "Crescents" over the years, briefly, some of them very good quality. They just feel wrong, especially in awkward positions where you can't see properly, they all ended up being thrown as far as I could manage.

Wee tip: Some bikes have nuts you might want to deal with on the side of the track/road that are quite big. You can carry all the spanners you need, but in some cases it'd be a fair few. You can modify most Crescents by fileing an extra worm groove in the moving jaw, usually some of the extra groove is there anyway. This can mean, say, that a 6" Crescent can open an extra turn and sometimes means you might not need to carry an 8".
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    ZZR1100 D7
    Has anyone mentioned hose clamps? The new types are composite plastic and don't damage the pipe like the old metal ones used to. They are great for tying off brake hoses during a caliper overhaul.

Maybe you can add a speedbleeder to the list too.

Bike
    01' NZ Postie CT110
    I like to quickly mention if anybody has experience with 'TENG TOOLS' ? ?

They seem to be in the upper market end but way cheaper than those snap on American stuff.

Teng are one of the best ''cheap'' brands,one I'm happy to have in my tool box.My Teng 1/4 drive ratchet is probably the most used tool I own - nearly every cover and small part is held on by 8 or 10mm fasteners,first tool I grab is the 1/4 drive ratchet and long Koken or Cornwell 10mm socket.It's plastic and longer than most 1/4 drives - I dislike my Snap-On 1/4 drive so much it's now in my motorcycle tool kit,I just won't use it at work.

Teng are supposed to be made by Stanley - but the tell tale of their origin is no bold and proud ''Made In *****'' embossed on the tool.And as I mentioned - my Teng ''6in Cresent'' works backwards - duh,at least copy it properly!

Bike
    03 Hornet 900, 08 Daytona 675 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Here's a tool that is quite useful & cheap. It's a spring puller for those nasty powerful springs either on dirtbike or aftermarket pipes or sidestands etc. Using vice grips works some of the time but when they slip off expect bashed knuckles.

Old spoke with the nipple (schoolgirl laugh) ground to a hook & the other end through a piece of the ever shortening workshop broom.

Of course the other day I noticed motion pro or some crowd make one but this is for free & works very well.
    Good tip - I need one of those to get my side stand spring off !!!

I have had a sidechrome socket set for over twenty years - its been used heaps

A workshop manual is a must - If only to scare you into getting a pro to the work
    "You never understood that it ain't no good, you shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you" - Bob Dylan

Bike
    none for now
    Socket set I'd highly recomend are the repco branded ones. The are not cheap but way cheaper then the big name brands. Their 3/8" drive set was about $380 but I got it at a 50% off sale. I had a couple of mates who swore by them. I've now had it for 5 years hard use and have it hasn't missed a beat. Have done stuff way beyond what you are supposed to do with a 3/8" set. Like put a metre bar on it and use my full weight on that. The rachet switch is backward to most ratchets but that isn't hard to get used to. Highly recomended.

Bike
    1994 suzuki rf400
    teng tools are very good for price, also MAC, little bit more than normall but still cheaper than snap on, and just as good. even craftsman tools are good, another american brand, good spanners. but if you what the best i would go for Stahl Willy, they make brillant stuff. almost unbreakable. o and get a welder, you may only use it once for its intendend use, but its fun welding abnormall things to each other :P

o and i have a 1/4 drive ratchetless ratchet, made by britool, is very good in tight spaces, what i mean by ratchetless is that it works by having eliptical cams inside that grip as soon as you move it, "dosnt click". not recommended for anything above 1/4 as i could see it slipping on really tight stuff, but good for small nuts and bolts

Bike
    07 ktm 525 exc
    I bought a "Teng Tools" socket set about 17 years ago at the start of my apprenticeship and it is bloody good, and i have given it a hiding. Also has the long sockets which are very handy. Infact Mitre10 in Invercargill actually gave me a new case under waranty (the set has lifetime gurantee) when the hinge broke! Its propbably not snapon type quality but perfect mix for me.

Bike
    Aprilia RS250
    Can someone please tell me where I can get a compression gauge from?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Supercheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Lots
    I have 4 Teng Tools Torque Wrenches, the Teng Tools 10 Drawer roller cabinet, 11 piece Teng Tools screw driver set.
    I'm certainly no A grade mechanic but I think these things are just great. If I recall correctly, the complete screw driver set cost me a little more than ONE SINGLE snap-on screw driver.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    A piece of 4x2 timber comes in handy.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    As does a length of 2 inch water pipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    1986, Yama FZ250 Phazer
    Where does everyone buy their tools these days? I need to get my hands on some now that I have a bike...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Isn't Fazer spelt with an F?

Most people probably buy from Supercheap. Whether that is an entirely good idea or not is debatable.

Just don't buy an all in one kit, they are usually miserable.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information