Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools required for a motorcyclist

Bike
    1994 MotoGuzzi California 111 LAPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    A 20' container should be a good size for 3 bikes + workshop gear. Might even be able to pack a bit of other stuff around the bikes to serve as padding.
    Do I detect a slight note of cynicism / sarcasm in there - her indoors wants to take lounge suite / couple of semi antique items / cat etc !!!

A 20' container for everything? Or a 20' container for your workshop? That's the main reason I've never moved overseas,I'd never be able to take all my stuff.Shifting house is bad enough,more distance is more problems.I needed to put up a 6x12 shed to shift in here....and the cars stay outside.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertwin Don View Post
    Do I detect a slight note of cynicism / sarcasm in there - her indoors wants to take lounge suite / couple of semi antique items / cat etc !!!
    She's planning to ship the cat in a container ? Call the RSPCA! Or do you mena a caterpiller bulldozer. That would be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    A 20' container for everything? Or a 20' container for your workshop? That's the main reason I've never moved overseas,I'd never be able to take all my stuff.Shifting house is bad enough,more distance is more problems.I needed to put up a 6x12 shed to shift in here....and the cars stay outside.

That's metres, by the way. Not feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    living in the UK means that I have had to learn to have only what I need - not what I would like!
    I had to get rid / leave a couple of sheds full of stuff last time I moved from NZ to UK, so I know where you're coming from.

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    Take as much as you can Don, tools and equipment will be last on your list when you get here as they are only essentials when something gives out. Things like lathes and mills- if you know they are good and your happy to use them for what you need then keep em. Especially if they have all the attachments and tooling you commonly use- those bits can really add up and are frustrating if you don't have them.
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    08 HD ₦ightster®
    You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't
    move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use
    the duct tape
    RiDe SaFe

Some balls are held for charity
    And some for fancy dress
    But when they're held for pleasure
    They're the balls that I like best

Bike
    Unfortunately, those of us with big v-twins need a third tool - a big hammer!!!

Bike
    92 Yamaha FJ1430A
    Blog Entries
    gosh .. wish we had a resident tool-guy so we knew where to get all that stuff....

oh... wait ..
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

SARGE
    represented by GCM

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    What a crass & blatant plug. Bet they don't do self powered timing lights (better for race bikes without 12v or other bikes that it is a pain to get to the battery).

. . . erm, oh they do, actually it isn't a bad site.

hmm, can't spring for the rinky dinky one, wonder if the budget one is ok.

Ahh see! - they don't have a midrange priced one. (can't please some people huh?).
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Smile

[QUOTE=F5 Dave;1412460]Ok so you own one of these motorcycle thingies & it has occurred to you that sometimes they need maintenance, repairs or adjustments in the workshop.
    (I’m not intending for this to become a ‘what should I carry’ thread)

What does one do about tools?

a) Rely on the toolkit (unless it was 2nd hand & therefore stolen by the last owner) as this is what the manufacturer specified & using unbranded tools may invalidate the warranty?
    b) Empty the coffers & tell the Snap-on man to just come & deliver the whole cattledog job-lot?

I happened to buy motorbike of snapon man in wellington nice guy to showed me his truck its got like 10 ton of gear amazing set up.

he told me they sell diffrent brand which suit me more as snapon really for professinal mechanic .

he showed me socket set looked like good place to start was like 200.00 .

Id say for me impact driver set been god send on older bikes esp when used those nasty philips screws on early honda engine

Covers. but even my 90,s vfr750 bloody handy for clutch brake fulid covers so you dont damage the heads at all, just little tap of the hammer to just crack tread free.

ring spanners always better so you not so likely to round bolt heads , can crc so u can free up parts b4 you try undo them

Silickon rtv very good to use to seal gaskets very good product.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard

Thread bump

I am a distributor for Sulco Tools, and have been thinking about posting their monthly flyers. Is this the right place?

Anything you see on their website I can get for you, probably at a somewhat lower price than if you approached them directly.

Here are the latest...

http://www.sulco.co.nz/monthly_speci...y_specials.pdf
    http://www.sulco.co.nz/monthly_specials/ms_equip.pdf

Let me know if there is anything you need and I'll see if I can get it cheaper for you.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ahh so you're the new Sarge (for older KB pundits). Oh hold on he's even on this thread history.

Anyways further up I've lambasted blowform plastic all in one toolkits that one sees & are invariably Shite. At a trail ride the other day I had to borrow some tools & the chap next to me had a Bahco socket & spanner set he took to rides (had his own tools for job as Mechanic).

I'd make an exception for these. You can sometimes find them at M10 on special & while not 'cheap' are good value for money & I'd happily add them to my racekit if I had the spare. They are 1/2" & some people don't seem to like that, but I love 'em & of course the length of the lever determines leverage, nothing else.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Anyways further up I've lambasted blowform plastic all in one toolkits that one sees & are invariably Shite. At a trail ride the other day I had to borrow some tools & the chap next to me had a Bahco socket & spanner set he took to rides (had his own tools for job as Mechanic).

I'd make an exception for these. You can sometimes find them at M10 on special & while not 'cheap' are good value for money & I'd happily add them to my racekit if I had the spare. They are 1/2" & some people don't seem to like that, but I love 'em & of course the length of the lever determines leverage, nothing else.
    I use them every day, not only good value for the money, just straight good value. Couple of minor idiosyncrasies, the case latches are shit and I don’t like the single 19mm/3/4” socket, but the material quality is better than most kit twice the price.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ok act fast, just saw these same sets in m10 down from $370 to $150.

Thread Information