Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Tools required for a motorcyclist

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Glad that worked out Si

Used mine night before & its nice enough, seems good & tight on the bolts. Got to get used to pushing the socket release button, but that won't take long.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Don't be a dutch jew

Snap-on, Koken, Bahco

chur

Bike
    an imaginary one atm
    i got one them 200 odd dollar bahco kits..... dont find i need much else

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    i got one them 200 odd dollar bahco kits..... dont find i need much else
    yea they go really well
    I use my bahco sockets ratchets and spanners every day.. they go hard... 8/9 years old now my stuff. And if you lose a piece from the kit you can order individual bits. Lost a philips head bit or something, was about 10 bucks.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Crumbs I sound like a salesperson but supercheap have deal on compressor for $ 120 with free airline. 20l tank. Must buy one, no idea on this brand but I've had 3 only killed 1 by being silly. 20 l isn't big enough to spray but will do most else.
    Tank capacity has fuck all to do with capability when selecting an air compressor. It's all about free air delivery or displacement (CFM).

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Tank capacity has fuck all to do with capability when selecting an air compressor. It's all about free air delivery or displacement (CFM).
    totaly correct.... it's all about how fast the pump can fill that tank...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    So, if you've got an air tool that intermittently uses 20cfm you'd buy a 3 phase 20cfm compressor, eh?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    So, if you've got an air tool that intermittently uses 20cfm you'd buy a 3 phase 20cfm compressor, eh?
    Yeah, especially if that air tool is a percussive type tool like a riveter or a nailgun.

Cock.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    We talking piston, diaphram, or screw compressors? I would go the screw any day.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    This thread is about being a resource of ideas for home tinkerers, if you're here to prove how smart you are, the rest of the Internet is waiting your expertise.

A tank is merely a buffer sure but let's keep the limitless wallet arguments out of this. Fact is most people don't have a compressor so my point is to suggest a little outlay can step up a new level.

A 20l size is a good starting size, heck I often just run off what's in the tank for most simple tasks without starting it. My 60l takes longer to refill. Must try find the tiny leaks.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    A tank is merely a buffer sure but let's keep the limitless wallet arguments out of this. Fact is most people don't have a compressor so my point is to suggest a little outlay can step up a new level.

A 20l size is a good starting size, heck I often just run off what's in the tank for most simple tasks without starting it. My 60l takes longer to refill. Must try find the tiny leaks.
    A tank is a buffer but it's not by itself capable of maintaining a constant pressure (of any significance) without a big enough pump to keep up.

Your reference to spraying prompted me to post. 20lt is insufficient to spray paint, as is 40lt or 60lt if you don't have the free air delivery behind it. I've sold a fair few compressors over the years to people who already had a 20lt "cheapie" because they thought 20lt was "heaps to paint the car, bro".

Bike
    Blog Entries
    So my original statement stands, go buy a 20l cheaply and get to do lots of stuff, just don't expect to spray with it. It's the right amount of info for a beginner with a small budget. They don't need a belt drive hooer. I had mine 3 years before I decided to unpackage it as the 20l did all I needed, just the die grinder if used in anger needed more.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    I tried painting my shed with zinc power pylon paint with my little 20 ltr compressor, gave it a really good textured look. I think most home handy men would get along fine with a small compressor, as long as you dont over work them and cook the oil. One thing I would recomend if buying a cheapie from repco or supercheap or whatever, is spend a little extra money for some decent fittings and a length of decent hose.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    We talking piston, diaphram, or screw compressors? I would go the screw any day.
    when was the last time yer seen a home handy man screw compressor.... links would be nice...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    when was the last time yer seen a home handy man screw compressor.... links would be nice...
    Kaeser do a 3hp screw, and several other manufacturers do 5hp jobs.

They're still full blown industrial quality machines though, they'd set you back at least $3k.

Edit: found this looking for little screws. http://www.elgi.com/2.html
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information