Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools required for a motorcyclist

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries

Tools required for a motorcyclist

Ok so you own one of these motorcycle thingies & it has occurred to you that sometimes they need maintenance, repairs or adjustments in the workshop.
    (I’m not intending for this to become a ‘what should I carry’ thread)

What does one do about tools?

a) Rely on the toolkit (unless it was 2nd hand & therefore stolen by the last owner) as this is what the manufacturer specified & using unbranded tools may invalidate the warranty?
    b) Empty the coffers & tell the Snap-on man to just come & deliver the whole cattledog job-lot?
    c) Buy one of those every-tool-included suitcase from Supercheap or similar?
    d) None of the above

OK so for the workshop you are setting up you will probably be on a budget, after all you just spent most of your wedge on buying the bike. But if you decide that you’d like to perform more maintenance yourself then you will need the proper tools or you will cause more damage than you are trying to save by taking it to the shop.

Ok we’ll start with option a) these tools are the cheapest bidders the manufacturers could find that an owner could remove some parts of the motorcycle at least once without causing too much damage to cause a rash of warranty claims. Nasty.
    b) Are you a professional mechanic? No didn’t think so.
    c) These kits are made by the companies rejected in a) for being too low quality. Avoid like the plague.

So d) it is.

Maybe if I start with a bit of a list, people can poke holes in it & I can edit the main list at the start of the thread.

I’m going to start with the theory that most motorcyclists are typically cheapskates and will buy on price. To some extent one has to proceed with caution. One might not need all these tools if this is just a passing fad. But generally there’s no tool so expensive as one that damages what you are trying to fix & then needs replacing with progressively more expensive tools.

So what we are looking for are ‘fit for purpose’ good value tools.

I am often amazed at what people try to get by with & the absolute rubbish that come as suitcase kits.

Maybe 2 lists; bare minimum & nice to have.

Ok Bare Minimum

Hammer Ideally large ball peen hammer, but can make do with a woodwork claw if you already have one.
    Rubber Mallet Cheap & will save axle threads when you are tempted to bash with hammer or other tool
    Screwdrivers Both Flatblade & Crosshead. Several sizes of each. Cheap ones will let you down. Push when using cross head. Screwdrivers are not levers, never use them as such.
    Cheap flatblade screwdrivers These are in fact sacrificial chisels & levers. You’re going to do it so have some specifically for it & never use for other purposes. Obviously don’t try to lever things that will be damaged, like ally sidecovers.
    Allen keys Don’t buy that rubbish on a spring set. By a proper set of ½ doz metric in a row holder
    Impact driver Blue box type from Ripco will be fine.
    Pliers Fine nose & sturdy type. Some linesman cutters as well
    Circlip pliers One of those combination internal/external sets will suffice, even if they make you learn some new swear words
    Spanners Metric as a set is more economical, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19mm at a min
    Socket set As above. I prefer ½” drive as they are more sturdy, Many prefer 1/4 drive; preference. This is probably the bigger ticket item as a set. Save money & frustration, you will never need an imperial mixed set. It would be nice to get some larger sizes as well, 22, 24, 27, 30 for instance. Spark plug sockets to fit your bike may be nice. Pick carefully.
    Big Cresent Wrench These make fabulous benders. Not so hot on nuts & bolts. Be very careful.
    Vice Larger the better, but can be cheap. Large coachbolts & mount to a bench or anything
    Drill Many bargains about are ok, beware too cheap drill bits.
    Hack saw
    Files
    Kneepads or some carpet
    Rags Do you really wear that BonJovi T anymore?
    Pad For writing down those parts required
    Hand cleaner Washing powder at a push

The nice to have list/buy as required list

Tool box Forget the million dollar one, a couple of big plastic ones are ok, but if can set up a board close to the work area with some screws & pencil some outlines. This will save hours of rooting around. Really.
    Workbench Something sturdy to work on, build or 2nd hand
    Bike bench Something sturdy to work on, build or 2nd hand, about 400 high. Need plank to load & a paddock stand or tiedowns etc to secure.
    Seat Cut down a seat if no bike bench.
    Torque wrench Don’t buy one too large, say around the 2-40NM range is where you will be using it most.
    Flywheel puller Useful on 2 stroke dirtbikes etc Only a few different types
    T Bars Cross head screwdriver & 8/10/12mm socket will make life in the garage more joyous. As will a T bar allen set (surprisingly the $20 supercheap one is good). Won’t fit in all places so still need std set.
    Long wrecking bar Life is nice when you have some leverage. An ~800mm long fixed bar for your sockets will be valuable. Don’t try to use one of those cheapo torque wrenches, the bending makes them useless.
    Compressor Really they are so cheap & blowing out carbs & pumping tyres will make you wonder how you did without one. It’s at this stage where a slightly bigger one will drive an impact wrench better, but you can get by with a small one most of the time. No you can't spray with it. Need a really big one.
    Impact Wrench Don’t use to do nuts up with, but great for shocking nuts off.
    Decent Circlip pliers for external & internal.
    Drill press Small ok, mounted & get a mini vice for holding work
    Bench Grinder One side for grinding steel, the other fit a wire brush. Beware of where things that slip out of hands will get flung at 100mph (grinders were never metricised so only fling things at 100mph). Mount as far away from bike or car, ideally near the messy drill/vice area.
    Verniers Digital are easiest but mech will suffice.
    Mulitimeter Dick Smith will provide a cheapo one for $20. Read the manual & you will work out how to use one or just experiment & look on the web.
    Soldering Iron & solder & heatshrink
    Torch Small but powerful

additions While suggested or I think of it:
    Vice grips Used with care can be valuable.
    Vice grip with a chain Great for holding flywheels etc.
    In Hex Sockets
    Needle nose vice grips
    Ratchet spanners
    Poly (multi) grips large Use with caution
    Last edited by FilthyLuka; 5th February 2008 at 12:30. Reason: Removed the line requesting a sticky, seeing as the thingie has been stickied
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting stuff Dave!!! Thanks!
    My Dad and brother were both mechanical boys who did all their own "fix its" on all our tractors, trucks, cars etc etc, so we had a huge shed which was fully loaded with good quality goodies, so I grew up being spoiled with knowing if there was a tool I needed, I could always find it (eventually).
    These days I live with a husband who likes the idea of tools but doesn't really use them, so we have cheap shitty tools at our house.
    After working with Skunk's tools on Saturday, it made me aware just how much easier everything is when you have a) the right tool for the job and b) good quality tools. I have to say that some good quality tools will be on my birthday wish list this year, as I plan on doing the servicing on my Hornet from now on and now have a bucket that will no doubt need constant repairs, so good to know what I should be getting, so cheers!

Bike
    04 R6
    Kraftwerk make some pretty good kit, i have a full 1/2inch drive socket set from 'em, 8mm-30mm metric and a bunch of imperial gathering dust. Haven't let me down yet Haven't been able to find 'em in NZ though

As F5 Dave has said, get a drill. What i reckon you should ad to that list though, STUD EXTRACTORS. These things come in real handy. Drill the broken bolt, wind the stud extractor in (anti-clockwise), keep winding untill the bolt comes out

Also, if you can get away with it get a corded drill, they spin crazy go nuts fast and can do pretty much anything you will need to do. i just hate picking up the drill and finding the batteries flat... GRRR!

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Awesome post Dave. Have to say buying a couple of ratchet rings spanners as luxury items makes some chores more enjoyable. 8mm, and 10mm for me. Maybe 4mm and 5mm T-handle allen-keys as well.

Ohh... and floodlights.
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    Goose
    And all I bloody want/need is a piston!
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    Honda PC800
    My toolkit has been built up over a few years--.
    I think for a novice a good quality 1/4 drive set is better possibly a 3/8 set --Seeing my latest apprentice heading towards a m6 (10mm head) bolt with a 1/2 drive socket and Im reaching for the mallet to toss at him and the easy out to rip out the busted bolt.
    My stuff is mostly sidchrome,starwille and Koken but when my gargre got robbed I grabbed a 3/8 and 1/4 drive set of King Tony stuff--not bad at all

One other screwdriver I've got specific to working on bikes is a solid shaft hi tensile stubby -Its fantastic for removing stubborn poz/philipsscrews without resorting to the trusty impact screwdriver.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

like skelstar said, a good set of lights to work in garage is a handy.

And a good socket set is a must, many of the socket sets you buy now have 10-16 edges on them, the ones which have 6 edges are far better, and less likey to slip and ruin bolts.

I also brought a 32mm socket and an 1/2" drive few years ago, its only use for undoing the rear nut on GSX-R
    -------
    Regarding tools, they are one of those things, you if you buy good quality it will last a life time, and there are always things that upgrade, certian things you can buy cheap things, other items its always buy best you can afford.

Many items above are very useful, any somethign to aim for in your garage, and will take time to get up. But its damn annoying in middle of a job and reliese you don't have the tool you want. Also i guess some items will really be needed if you do really fiddle with your bike or weather you do nothing and let the people who know what they are doing but many anyone should have in there garage.
    -----

Its also good just reading the junk mail from places like bunnings, supercheap, mitre 10. Sometimes they have some good quality tools come up for good prices, and even if you are in there for something else look at the tool section and see if any bargins can be had.

Bike
    RC36, WR, RS250, GSXR1000, Duke250, IZH
    +1 on ratchet spanners

Allen(hex) 3/8 drive, you only need two or three to fit 90% of the allen bolts on your modern jap bike.

3/8 Ratchet - get the best you can afford/find at a garage sale (Stahwillie)
    3/8 six wall tube sockets, buy a cheap name brand (Great Neck (yes I am ashamed) ) they fit all the way over long threads to a nut and also fit every random sparkplug you are ever going to come across

Bike
    Missile
    Nice list. Tools are oarsome. I had to buy tools because god didn't bless me with great tits

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
    Nice list. Tools are oarsome. I had to buy tools because god didn't bless me with great tits
    more than a mouthfulls a waste
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Missile
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    ... garage is... handy.
    I found having a gargre to be one of the handiest tools. They're also cool for storing your tools. Wardrobes can get a bit cluttered.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    ACTUALLY--thinking about it I do dissagree sorry dave.
    1)Quality pozi screwdrivers-preferably hi tensile blades on em.
    2) 1/4 drive and 3/8 drive socket set-good quality-
    When in doubt go SMALL
    3) Impact screwdriver.
    4)Quality L hex heys --Think Bhondus ya cant go wrong.
    5)Decent quality spanners. M8 M10 m12 m14 M17 and M19
    6)QUALITY tyre pressure qauge.
    if I was starting out I'd start with that list then add to it as needed

Looking in the gargre now.
    Compressor--calculate how much air ya need -then get a compressor DOUBLE its capacity.
    Air gun-unbelievably usefull tool
    Degreaser gun
    1/2 inch rattle gun
    3/8 air ratchet.
    Spray paint gun small
    Air die grinder.
    Tyre inflator
    Wheel balancer,tyre levers,tyre remover,
    welder
    portable lights.
    1/4.3/8 and 1/2 inch socket set
    shitty sockets -selection of
    Impact socket set-1/2 drive
    ratchet spanners-8.10.12.13.14.17.19
    spanners 2x 6.7.8.9.10.11.12.13.14.15.16.17.18.19. 1x20.21.22.23.24.25
    philips,pozi,flat screwdrivers -quality-selection of
    pry bars--selection of.
    Angle grinder
    Electric drill-battery
    Tie wire tool
    selection of pullers for pulleys,electrics etc.
    Rubber,copper,rawhide mallets,
    fuckoff big sledghammer
    hacksaw.
    Tyre gauge.
    Voltmeter
    continuity tester.
    Thread cleaner.
    recoil 6 x1 and 1.2 8 x1.25/1.5
    dial gauge
    compression tester
    Feeler gauges
    Shim tools
    suspension spanners
    Deep socket set
    "strange'screwdriver bits-snake eyes etc
    Vice grips.
    big Vice
    selection of pipee 600mm long-19/25/32mm iID.
    gREASE GUN,SEALANT GUN
    Gasket cutters
    pit standds

Bike
    SV400
    Interestingly you don't have any feeler gauges on your list Dave

A few taps along with tapping drills and common helicoils are always good to have too. Especailly when you start working on shitters that others have had a go at.

Bike
    SV400
    Also the best tool (if you can call it that) is the workshop manual for your bike. Haynes manuals ussually have a section on tools and give you a guide as to how difficult a job might be.

Bike
    04 R6
    Yeah, you might wanna ad feeler gauges. Cant set valve clearances with out feeler guages...

Thread Information