Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kawazaki ZZR250 / Getting started.

Bike
    big gay1 that I am not licenced to use

Question Kawazaki ZZR250 / Getting started.

Sorry to be all of question, and no content.. hehe

Well I have decided that the best bike that I should go for is the ZZR250, seems to have power, handling, and breaks, and work touring fine, then jump on a track easy!

One question on road bikes, the closest to road bike that I have rode was a honda CX125?.. I think - not entirely sure, but what sort of problems will I encounter while learning? - is gearing that hard?, more importantly hows the clutch **shudder**

Another few questions;

What sort of gear should I get, I'm semi crazy, but would prob stick to the rules of the learners most of the time, except the L plate :S!!, I will do ALOT of long distance travelling, things such as Whangarei -> Auckland and further, and think maybe I better get full gear, so that if I do crash in burn (I know its gonna happen) at least I have a better chance at getting up

What sort of servicing do I havto do on the bike, or leave it to the pros

Another, (fun huh?) how hard is the learners licence to get, will I havto examine the road code in detail, I think I have the 2001 semi memorised, and hows the skill test? also anyone know where I can get this done in Whangarei?

Thanks for your time, I understand it must be a bitch to answer nubies questions.

Bike
    1994 ZZR250

Red face re zzr250

hi there,
    this is the first time i've been in this site so i hope you get this message.
    i have just purchased a zzr250 and loving it. have been on learners for over a year as haven't got around to sitting restricted. getting learner license is really easy. you need to sit a basic mc handling course before doing the theory test. (contact passrite for details) the theory is a scratch card and pretty much common sense.
    hope this helps a bit

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by hailz
    hi there,
    this is the first time i've been in this site so i hope you get this message.
    i have just purchased a zzr250 and loving it. have been on learners for over a year as haven't got around to sitting restricted. getting learner license is really easy. you need to sit a basic mc handling course before doing the theory test. (contact passrite for details) the theory is a scratch card and pretty much common sense.
    hope this helps a bit
    Heya, thats great info - welcome to the site its great!!

Thanks!!

Bike
    **bump**

Just wondering if I will fit the ZZR's I'm about 5'6" what bike should I look at otherwise...

thanks..

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Hey John,

The ZZR is ok, have test ridden one for a mate....ok power and ok brakes, quite an upright sitting postion.... not a track bike, but you can take it on the track...

I think a naked bike is the best, just due to if you bin it, it doesnt cost much to fix... (think VTR, Zeal, Hornet etc...)

ONLY GO FULL GEAR!!!!!!!1 I have crashed many times and no that full gear is a must...

I reakon start out with cordura pants and jacket (fully armoured), also go for gloves and helmet (ofcourse)... but a really important piece of proctective clothing you should get is a back protector...

Getting your learners is a piece of piss so dont worry about it.. hardest thing about learning is countersteering, and growing some balls and fiting you panic insticnts...

Welcome along and i hope you have a great time looking for bikes and gear
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    justsomebike
    Hi there John,

I too just got myself a ZZR250. I'm bout 5"10 and my feet fit flat on the ground with my knees slightly bent.

So at 5"6 you should have no probs - easiest way to find out is to actually sit on one - but I don't think you will have any problems.

And yes good choice -- I too believed that the ZZR is the best bike all factors considered.

Bike
    thanks for the vote, they seem very balanced - I will get full gear most definatly, I already have nurmorus sports injuries that haunt me, my back from hockey - panadol works :P that ok so no real problems, right knee so I dont need to worry much about that, and my chest damn rugby - I have this stupid rib that keeps cracking - so that could be an issue, becuase I will most prob bail, more than once in the first few days, so the full gear advise is good thanks - play it safe eh?

As soon as I get the bike, I'm finding the nearest learner centre and going to ride to it, with the excuse for the cobbler that I had no other choice (which is true).

But thanks, and I will be sure to post pics and stuff of everything.

cheers for the help.

Bike
    justsomebike
    Yes please do buy the best gear you can afford - THAT IS THE BEST GEAR YOU CAN AFFORD. Remember you will get a discount for cash and if buying everything from one place.

Also shop around. I have bought gear worth about a $1000 for only $470.

The way I justify spending big bucks on gear is by repeating: "You can always buy more gear when you break it. You can't buy a new body."

Also good quality gear keeps you very comfortable while riding.

And also save up as much as you can for good tuition. Cos as those who know say --- the best safety equipment I have is inbetween my ears.

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    i learnt on the suzuki GF250, not sure how well it compares up with a ZZR250 but i know that the suzi has less style too it. Pulls hard when you ask it too and is good for cruising, done auck - thames, and auck - mangawhai no sweat, and with fuel to spare. Depending on how much you want to spend, im selling one at the moment (hint hint). But on the whole, i agree with the other guys, get gear! gloves, helmet, jacket is a minimum.
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    -
    The comment on getting a naked bike to learn, cos it will be cheaper to repair, is a good point. Haven't riden one, but the Suzuki Bandit 250 is a good looking naked 250.
    And make sure you do buy the gear, and wear it - even on a very hot day.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    John: Dont stress about pranging it while you're learning. You dont have to you know heh.
    You just need to ride within your limits. While you're learning, id avoid testing your limits too much. Ive had my restricted for a couple of months now and haven't come anywhere near binning it and I dont ride like a complete nanna either. Part of its in your head, if you think you're going to fuck up, theres a good chance you will.

Clothing: If you're doing a few miles then go cordura jacket and pants, good weather protection.

Riding tips: Avoid catseyes on corners, and tar-snakes in the wet (those thin black rubbery lines of shit they use to patch cracks in the road).

Bike
    2020 Honda Rebel 500
    You lookin at that black ZZR at Shaws mate? As for the basic handling test the dude runs it on Sat at the train station. Ring up the AA and ask for the number.
    /end communication

Bike

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for all the tips, But I had a talk with mum - and she said that she would front me money if I got a GN250 (she wants me on a new bike as aposed to a oldie) and then when I get my full I can move to a 600cc.

Thanks for all the help, hope to see all the whanageri boys around, look for a midget on a GN250 its me, if you see me give a wave in I'll stop for a chat...

The GN250's although not my style, nor speed - I supose is a good start..

and in a year and a bit.... ( ) 600cc for me :spudbooge

cheers.!

Bike
    Ohh another question, any pitfalls with the 04 GN250e that I should look for? cheers.

Bike
    2020 Honda Rebel 500
    If she wants you on a new bike, you should get a GSX250.
    /end communication

Thread Information