Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Float like a butterfly...

Bike
    XJR1300/EC250/SRX600/TLR250/MuZ660/KLX45
    Back in 72 the lawnmower shop in Hartham Court Porirua had a couple for sale and really piqued my interest. Then I rode a proper dirtbike and the dream went in a different direction. I did have a ride on one in 73. Thought it was a pretty cool little bike.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    As per my earlier comments I reckon they were one of the best sounding bikes ever built. Being a two stroke twin they sounded like they screamed flat out but redlined at only 9,000rpm.

The one we had was smooth and quite quick for a 125 at the time but not massively so as they didn't have a real power band hit at all in standard tune. Some people modified them with pipes and the like but we sold ours in as new condition.

Its only let down was fuel consumption as we couldn't even ride from Napier to Wairoa without having to stop to fill it up. Just as well in the 70's there were gas stations at short intervals to suit the Stingers and the Kawasaki triples.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    One with 2 wheels
    My father had one of these 125's. Back then we didnt have a family car, so dad would take us in turns to go for a ride. My turn came up one Saturday and dad had the bright idea that we would ride down to Wellington on it to go and have a look at the show that was on in what used to be the Winter Show Buildings. We set off on a bloody miserable morning, leaving from Feilding, going through Palmy and down Pioneer Highway. About half way down the Longburn straight he gave it away. It was blowing so hard that we could barely make 50kph in 2 gear. Just too much weight for the poor thing. I loved that bike though. A year or two later I saw the 250 version of it, thought it was the best bike I had ever seen.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    The trade fair. Where toffee apples seemed like a good idea, and where you'd endure endless dishwashers and wonder mops so you could get outside to ride the ghost train or maybe the dogems if you were old enough.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well the project just gained momentum. I've been struggling with how to start. I have two half stripped bikes. You're supposed to do a dry build to see what you need. But that grates with my lazy impatient nature.

Ages ago a mate had said I should get a parts book so you can search the part numbers you need to order. Bah I thought, pre Internet technology.

Somehow I ended up with one, I think he'd got it for us.

So I'm working my way through every page listing what I have and what work it needs. This way I will have a list of any parts I still don't have, but also a list of all the items that need zincing or chroming or fixing in some manner.

It also will give me a list of mini jobs so I can wander into the garage one night with two hours. Pick the carbs up and set to them and cross that off the list.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well here's my electrolysis kit. So far I have the battery box, headlight rim and instrument mount soaking in it with a sacrificial anode of steel. the anode gets hella rusty and the other stuff gets less rusty. magic. have to wipe off the anode. rust goes from (-) to (+) side. I have a power supply set to 12V but you can use an old school battery charger or a battery and a smart charger. Seems to pull up to 2 amps & settles down to 1 & then less as the anode gets rusty and gunky. You can see the gunk. Soda crystals (green pottle in washing area of New World) just a shake or two in some water is enough to get things bubbling.

Bike now in elementl pieces. Will do frame repairs & look to get that powdered along with a few other things.

Forks being disassembled. Wheels will be next to build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150816_140502.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	347.5 KB 
ID:	314921  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Charming. Just found out my T125 is a T90. Frame number gives it away. Did wonder why there was a T90 tank in the spares. Engine is a T125. Only question is if I ever want to make it legal I'll need an lvv even though they were the same bike.

Rusty is T125 but the frame is pretty scabby. Maybe I should clean it up and reassess.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    The T90, besides having less power was missing the dual instruments i.e. no tacho if I remember correctly.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well Rusty is in components now. I took the scotchbrite drill attachment and rippied off the paint and rust in a couple of areas to see if it was saveable. It would save the Rego hassle. Even have the old plate.

It went to bare metal pretty easy, looked promising but there were still black marks underneath. I could paint over that easy but I'd never know if it had undermined the frame. So out with the dremel and I chased a couple of welts slowly with a small stone fitting. It cleared them back to base metal with minimal depth. This is saveable so far. Powder coat will help cover it up after a decent sand blast.

There are so other advantages. Rustys frame hasn't had the grab rail cut off.

Steering head bearings have arrived. All supercessions but seem to be the right size.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    The T90, besides having less power was missing the dual instruments i.e. no tacho if I remember correctly.
    My one def never had a tacho or the drive for one on the engine. The pipes were chrome on the T90 with blackpainted yet chrome underneath mufflers as well. All the T125's pipes I ever seen were Black with chrome mufflers.
    You can put the 125 top end on the T90 they have the same stroke rods etc. In fact the sleeve can be bored out to fit the 125 pistons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yeah there were chrome paintedblack pipe or two in the mix like early model 125. But two of my engines started as 125s.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Yeah there were chrome paintedblack pipe or two in the mix like early model 125. But two of my engines started as 125s.
    Is there a way of checking the frame and engine numbers.
    A lot of old pommy bikes frames Like say the A10 BSA carried A7 (500) prefixs
    Suzuki might have done the same.
    I can't say I ever looked to see what the frame number prefix was.
    Oh yeah I am pretty the carbs on the T90 were smaller by a few mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Blog Entries
    The T90 frame no is prefixed T90. The 125 with T125. Think the jig would be up pretty quick at the registry office.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well a combination of brass brush on the drill and the flapper wheel on the angle grinder and I've chased the rust away.

So now the decision is whether to get it blasted or dip striped. Whether to powder or two pack.

I've got some welding to repair the centre stand which I cut some steel to rebuild the feet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150906_174410.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	397.6 KB 
ID:	315552  

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Well a combination of brass brush on the drill and the flapper wheel on the angle grinder and I've chased the rust away.

So now the decision is whether to get it blasted or dip striped. Whether to powder or two pack.

I've got some welding to repair the centre stand which I cut some steel to rebuild the feet.
    Grit blast - dipping is a risk as the frame welds are never completely water tight and any stripper getting in is guaranteed to come out at the wrong time....

My opinions on powder are well known, i use baked enamel on everything.

Thread Information