Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft brake trick - damaging?

Bike
    Ducati 944

Soft brake trick - damaging?

The brakes on my GSX are not the best, although they are OK. This is generally accepted. However, mine "get soft" fairly regularly. No fluid is being lost from the system, and there is no problem that I can see.
    Last service my bike shop mechanic used heavy rubber bands to pull in the brake lever, and left it in the workshop overnight. He said that this bled the air out of the system gently. Since seeing this trick I've being using a cable tie every few weeks to do this over the weekend.
    Sure enough, come Monday morning the brakes are firm again.
    A few weeks later and the mush is back with a vengeance.
    My first question is:
    1) can this trick being used regularly damage the system in any way - too much pressure on the seals etc?
    2) any ideas of how to improve the situation - is this a poorly sealed master cyclinder or something?
    3) any other advice?

Thanks in advance for your ideas
    Motorcycle songlist:
    Best blast soundtrack:Born to be wild (Steppenwolf)
    Best sunny ride: Runnin' down a dream (Tom Petty)
    Don't want to hear ...: Slip, slidin' away, Caught by the Fuzz or Bam Thwok!(Paul Simon/Supergrass/The Pixies)

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    I had this same problem on my VTR1000 - they're renowned for it. In that case, the problem is that the brake lines splits in two, and has a 'hump' above the front mudguard. This 'hump' collects air bubbles and is hard to bleed. Like you, I did the "tie the brake lever up overnight" trick, but it doesn't really help. It just forces the air bubbles back into solution in the brake fluid, then eventually, they bubble out again.

What I did in the end was overhaul the brake calipers (not the real problem, but it helped) and fitted dual brake lines (braided) to the front brakes.

Problem solved.

I suspect that in your case, you've got somewhere that bubbles are collecting: a banjo connection or other fitting. It's possible you've also got something like a worn seal allowing air to slowly leak in, but not that likely.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2013 EX300SE
    Does your bike still have it's original brake lines? These can get soft over time, and it may be a good (but messy) idea to replace them. You can go the braided lines route, but that's probably not necessary unless you like to push on a bit when you're riding.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwalo View Post
    Does your bike still have it's original brake lines? These can get soft over time, and it may be a good (but messy) idea to replace them. You can go the braided lines route, but that's probably not necessary unless you like to push on a bit when you're riding.
    Just a comment on that - when I went to braided lines, there was no performance improvement (why would there be?) but there was much better feel at the lever, and no mushiness.
    However, some braided lines can feel a bit 'wooden' compared to OEM; the second set I had on the VTR weren't as good as the first ones (unfortunately, not legal) and did feel a bit wooden, Still HEAPS better'n the OEM ones.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2013 EX300SE
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Just a comment on that - when I went to braided lines, there was no performance improvement (why would there be?) but there was much better feel at the lever, and no mushiness.
    However, some braided lines can feel a bit 'wooden' compared to OEM; the second set I had on the VTR weren't as good as the first ones (unfortunately, not legal) and did feel a bit wooden, Still HEAPS better'n the OEM ones.
    The wooden feeling is exactly what I mean. Besides who uses brakes on a V twin?

Bike
    Ducati 944
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwalo View Post
    I've got braided lines, fully dot compliant etc and according to Haldanes & Wild West well made. Basically line goes from lever and banjo to the split just above the front wheel then splits into two lines, one for each caliper.

The 'trick' DOES work for up to two week - so as suggested there is some air trapped in the junction?
    Motorcycle songlist:
    Best blast soundtrack:Born to be wild (Steppenwolf)
    Best sunny ride: Runnin' down a dream (Tom Petty)
    Don't want to hear ...: Slip, slidin' away, Caught by the Fuzz or Bam Thwok!(Paul Simon/Supergrass/The Pixies)

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Before all this effort Id suggest getting the brake fluid changed and a propper bleed be done
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Crashed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Before all this effort Id suggest getting the brake fluid changed and a propper bleed be done
    And failing that, in my experience, a full strip of the calipers to free up the pistons and restore lever feel.
    If it wasn't for a concise set of rules, we might have to resort to common sense!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Vifferman has it, that pressure trick isn't long term. As Frost sez new fluid & proper bleed. You may want to consider a mc rebuild if that doesn't do the trick.

Pwalo. erm do V twin riders not like front brakes? Last time I checked the engine was connected to the rear via a chain. So how can you 'brake' harder with the rear than the front?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Pwalo. erm do V twin riders not like front brakes? Last time I checked the engine was connected to the rear via a chain. So how can you 'brake' harder with the rear than the front?
    Ride smoothly, you rough old 2-smoker

Engine braking is enough in most twisties for me, and we all know an ancient 250 single is totally the same as a 1000cc V-twin.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Try speeding up a little.

So what is that circle thingy in the top rhs of your Avatar anyway? None of my copies have it.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    HAD a bit of a think about this.Memory being fecked and all that.
    BEFORE changing the brake fluid on the bike using this lever back against bar trick does put the air bubbles in the lines back into the fluid making it easier to flush out when the fluid changes
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    93 fireblade
    My 600 was doing this. Swapping the fluid out and bleeding didn't fix it. I rebuilt the master cylinder ($50 for a kit) and my brakes feel as good as new again.

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Try speeding up a little.

So what is that circle thingy in the top rhs of your Avatar anyway? None of my copies have it.
    Like I said, everybody knows 250 singles are just the same as 1000cc twins -- surely corner entry speeds can't be that much higher?

It just says
    PINK
    FLOYD
    THE
    DARK SIDE
    OF THE
    MOON

I got it cheap from Japan, perhaps that's the edition they got? Vinyl of course. Yay for EMS combined shipping.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Hi guys and girls is there anyone out there who can point me towards a shop/workshop that can replace my 1981 XV's front brake lines, they're at the age of no return. I'd like to ride it into a workshop and have the lines replaced either in rubber or braided, but so far I've not found a place that can do that.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Thread Information