View Poll Results: What tyres do people prefer?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • M1's

7 7.14%
  • Rennsports

4 4.08%
  • Diablo

13 13.27%
  • Diablo Corsers

13 13.27%
  • D208's

1 1.02%
  • D208GP's

3 3.06%
  • B010's

6 6.12%
  • B012's

8 8.16%
  • Azaro's

7 7.14%
  • other

36 36.73%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What tyres to people prefer??

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Sports bikes seem to run well with 36psi front and 38psi rear ( never had the squirming around you are talking about BB - and the VTR isn't light)....just remember not to rely on garage gauges - get your own AccuGauge pressure gauge and treat it with utmost respect - I check my pressures before every ride (as poor pressure can shag a tyre very smartly)

42 on the front - feck that is high??!?!?!?!?  Your tyre wouldn't heat up enuf which would cause as much problems cornering as too low a pressure

DoR - as for tyres - any of the tyres named will do a good job for you.....you can't really go wrong - it just comes down to personal experience (and dollars) - M1's are well priced at the moment and a super tyre....208's are still expensive (and have a flat profile), Diablo's are good, the Diablo Corsers and Rennsports are the mutt pearls but fecken expensive (Corsers more than Renners), 012's are super sticky (which equals super low mileage), 010's are still a great tyre.  I know nothing about the Azaro's.

That is of course if you are after good scratching tyres - no nothing about sports tourers or tourers

Bike
    Not many, if any
    firstly: Dave and bikerboy you two are getting to b we little bad-boys eh? always giving me the flak!     hahaha!

Firstly, i picked other, as i really dont care, all tyres feel like tyres? they slip when u reach limit. i have never ridin a bike on a tyre, then changed.. oh no wait, my GPZ750, yeah, but true it felt a little different, with the harder/mor efirm tyre it felt sharper, like less touching the ground, and quicker steering, perfect race tyre, i suggest anyone who can find an old continental race rear tyre to use it on the front! works a treat.. i think it was continental? who can remember?

anyways so i dont know much but just ride on whatever the previous owner chose for you.

meh.

Bike
    Sold
    I support Wkid with the use of an AccuGauge - absolutely essential if you're going to get it right!

Yep, 42 psi front presure!  The 'bird is 229 kg dry and has slight front end bias.  Bridgestone even manufacture a special BT 020 for it (which isn't available in NZ, so that's why I use Azaro ST's).  And the front tyre gets plenty hot

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    I've experienced squirming on both ends of the pressure scale. thrashing from whangamata to Hikuai not only buggered my rear tyre (got up to 48Psi when I stopped to find out why!) but didn't do much for the confidence at the rear. Some prick let 10psi out of my rear tyre at work (a few times) as well and that felt VERY unnerving. Gotta get'im right!

ps. When is the sun going to stay out for 24 hours in this darn city!? I have a perfectly good supercorsa on the front now and no dry roads to try the slick edges on!! grrrrrrrrrrrr

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Currently have Michelin Macadam 90X on the TRX and the bike handles beautifully on them if the pressures are right. A bit lacking in grip in cold and damp conditions.

Currently weighing up whether ot not to go for the Macadam 100X or Pilot Road for my next set. They are the same compound, but different profile and tread pattern.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    Currently have Michelin Macadam 90X on the TRX and the bike handles beautifully on them if the pressures are right. A bit lacking in grip in cold and damp conditions.

Currently weighing up whether ot not to go for the Macadam 100X or Pilot Road for my next set. They are the same compound, but different profile and tread pattern.
    Jim,
    There are rarely bad tyres per se, just bad choices for how you ride! I had 90X's on the 'bird for a while. They certainly lasted incredibly well but as I grew in confidence in using the power of the bike, I found that grip became an issue and went to softer compound tyres. This pushed the purchase price up as well as shortening tyre life. It all comes down to "fitness for purpose".

Geez - that was a bit philisophical

Geoff

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird
    Jim,
    There are rarely bad tyres per se, just bad choices for how you ride! I had 90X's on the 'bird for a while. They certainly lasted incredibly well but as I grew in confidence in using the power of the bike, I found that grip became an issue and went to softer compound tyres. This pushed the purchase price up as well as shortening tyre life. It all comes down to "fitness for purpose".

Geez - that was a bit philisophical

Geoff
    The TRX is heaps lighter than a Blackbird and around half the horsepower, so I think you're right about "fitness for purpose".

I certainly don't have issues with traction WFO exiting corners (eh Blink ). They just seem a bit dodgy in the wet. The new compound might fix that, and I just found out that a set of 100X Macadams is exactly the same price as the Pilot Roads.

Thanks for the feedback Geoff
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    I prefer the pilot sport.
    They do the HPX for big fast bikes,had 'em on the ZX12,great tyre,still spin up outta corners though,but at least you got some drive,unlike the diablo's which were shit.
    I have Diablo's on the 7fiddy too,and don't like them on it either.....
    Used Avon supersports on the Gixx before,interesting tyre.....you had to have the gas dialled on for them to work....which meant accelerating INTO the corners,bit hairy at first but ok once you got used to it....

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    interesting reading on these tyre pressures. I'm using 30 in the rear and 31 in teh front on the diablo corsas for my commuting (hey, i enjoy it) and thrashing. works a treat
    36Plus seems awful high and damaging to tyres!

Michelins

I stick to michelin pilots (c:< i only ride on michelins first and second bridgestones nothing else,

Pressure wise, i run my rear a little harder than man specs but its suits my riding also good having an air compressor at home means i can adjust pressures at home before leaving for anywhere

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkiwi
    Wow. I'm following Yamaha's recommendations and using 36 front, 42 rear.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Well i used to have pielli mtro2 at the rear and mrt01 in the front but then they stopped importing the mtr02's. So after much deliberation i blew the budget and got a dunlop gp80 on the rear and mtr01 on the front. The grip was a bit loose at first on the back but after about 600 - 700 km it started to settle right in and havn't had any problems yet. I also find that when the back does start to slide out the tyre just smoothly let go and then smoothly gripped back without any problems what so ever.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by celticno6
    Wow. I'm following Yamaha's recommendations and using 36 front, 42 rear.
    Exactly the same as the VFR 36, 42 and they feel fine. I'm on Michelins these days and they still have quite a soft feel to them especially compared to the rat-awful MEZ4s I had before.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Riffer

g

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkiwi
    interesting reading on these tyre pressures. I'm using 30 in the rear and 31 in teh front on the diablo corsas for my commuting (hey, i enjoy it) and thrashing. works a treat
    yep the book says 36psi front and rear. I droped them both 2 to 3 psi and that was good not so bumpy too

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    Quote Originally Posted by scroter
    yep the book says 36psi front and rear. I droped them both 2 to 3 psi and that was good not so bumpy too
    yeah... you want to get rid of those stock dunlops ASAP mate. I think anything will perform better than what they've shod these gixxers with

Thread Information