Thread: Manfeild Track day report

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1

Manfeild Track day report

Well LooseBruce and I carried on down to the Manfeild Track day on Fri (19th Nov) after our Fred Merkel coaching the day before.

It was my first visit to Manfeild. I've heard lots of stories about what a goat track the surface is but it wasn't anywhere near as bad and similar to Puke and Taupo. It was a beautiful day and there were about 20+ bikes and only 10 cars!!! It was bikes/cars/bikes/cars all day which meant we only had a chance to catch our breath before we were back out again (we had done 4 sessions by 12pm!!). If that wasn't enough they also made the last session (I gave up counting after 8) a 40 min endurance session!

All the big guns were out too - Brian Bernard, Karl Morgan, Jared Love, Carey Brier, Glenn Williams, Shaun Harris were the ones I recognized but there was bound to be others judging by the big trailers and shiny new race bikes around.

Manfeild is very different to Pukekohe and Taupo in terms of layout. I found my riding technique lacking in a few areas due to lack of exposure to the type of turns Manfeild has. Lots of fast straights with hard braking at the end before tipping into long sweeping corners - great stuff. My brakes also got a good workout with 5 braking points per lap (as opposed to Pukes 1 per lap). But a lot of nice banked turns with exits that open into long straights.

LooseBruce has some good onboard footage so I'll put that up too once I get it sorted.

However the rough surface killed what was left of my rear tyre so I'm on the lookout for a new set (Supercorsas or Pilot Race slicks 120/60/17 160/60/17) if anyone knows of any good deals!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3013.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	4968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3031.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	4969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3015.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	305.3 KB 
ID:	4970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3094.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	342.3 KB 
ID:	4971  

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Glad it was good for ya brother. Its a bloody good job I diddn't try to join ya--My van threw a big expensive hissy fit about halfway home .Mella yella and all jy gear is in cambridge somewhere.--arggggg
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    99 zx6r

Talking how often????????????

hey good on yas,anyone have an idea how often manfield has these open days?or where to find out?thanx.
    my drinking team has a racing problem

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    I let my mouse do the walking.

http://www.manfeild.co.nz/testdays.asp

Unfortunately it looks like Fridays one was the last for a while - no wonder it was so busy!!

Bike
    MV 910 R Brutale...
    Looks fun if just afew too many tyre walls to bounce off
    Because I can......................

Bike
    Riffer

easy

Quote Originally Posted by Juan
    Looks fun if just afew too many tyre walls to bounce off
    if i had an F4 and a Brutale i think i would find it so easy to leave huge amounts of room for error and not bounce of anything. course i couldnt afford 1/2 of one of them though.

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Sorry Hoon only just saw this..... Looks like you had a shitload of fun..... That supercorsa is well and truely shagged....

Talk to Alistar or Dan at Colemans... they will do a good deal on them just tell them you race, and i put you onto them lol....

Slicks cost more than the supercorsa's so i would stick too the latter.....
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    Yep Alistair has already sorted me out. They also have 160x60x17 Dragon Supercorsa racing slicks in stock as well ($350) which got sent accidentally.

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoon
    Yep Alistair has already sorted me out. They also have 160x60x17 Dragon Supercorsa racing slicks in stock as well ($350) which got sent accidentally.
    So that was your ZXR400 rim sitting in there with the new supercorsa..... That other supercorsa sitting there is mine lol... I thought about the slicks, but too much and take too long to heat up
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Thread Information