Thread: Books on Racing

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries

Books on Racing

Here is a list of books that people might find helpful. All books are available on Amazon.com. Please note that none of these books have been reviewed by any member of Kiwibiker so if you would like to provide a review please do so in this thread.

Any other suggested books can be added to the list as well. Please post suggested books in this thread.

Please keep posts in this thread to reviews or suggested additions only. All other posts will be removed.

Keith Code
    Twist of the Wrist: The Motorcycle Roadracers Handbook
    Paperback: 117 pages
    Publisher: Code Break; Revised edition (May 12, 1997)
    ISBN-10: 0965045013
    ISBN-13: 978-0965045018

A Twist of the Wrist 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding
    Paperback: 117 pages
    Publisher: Code Break; New Ed edition (August 31, 1997)
    ISBN-10: 0965045021
    ISBN-13: 978-0965045025

The Soft Science of Roadracing Motorcycles: The Technical Procedures and Workbook for Roadracing Motorcycles
    Paperback: 166 pages
    Publisher: Code Break; 2Rev Ed edition (May 14, 1998)
    ISBN-10: 096504503X
    ISBN-13: 978-0965045032

Nick Ienatsch
    Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track
    Paperback: 128 pages
    Publisher: David Bull Publishing (March 1, 2003)
    ISBN-10: 1893618072
    ISBN-13: 978-1893618077

Andy Ibbott and Keith Code
    Performance Riding Techniques: The MotoGP manual of track riding skills
    Hardcover: 176 pages
    Publisher: Haynes Publishing (November 30, 2006)
    ISBN-10: 1844253430
    ISBN-13: 978-1844253432

Kenny Roberts
    Techniques of Motorcycle Road Racing
    Paperback: 224 pages
    Publisher: Hazelton Publishing (UK) (August 1988)
    ISBN-10: 0905138511
    ISBN-13: 978-0905138510

Neil Spalding
    MotoGP Technology
    Hardcover: 192 pages
    Publisher: David Bull Publishing (November 15, 2006)
    ISBN-10: 189361879X
    ISBN-13: 978-1893618794

Road Riding oriented books may also be of use.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Missile
    Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques by Lee Parks

Paperback: 192 pages
    Publisher: Motorbooks (July 12, 2003)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 0760314039
    ISBN-13: 978-0760314036

NOTE This book is included in the list of Road Riding books as it has Street in the title

Bike
    2005 Honda CB1300

Thumbs up Books on racing

Good post guys - thanks. I'll look some of them up. Already have Twist of Wrist 2 and it is a real bible.
    Never try and teach a pig to sing: it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig. --Robert A. Heinlein .

Bike
    Meads speed 650R, Kawasaki S2a

twist of the wrist on VIDEO

Hey i have just got the "twist of the wrist" video - be more than happy to share it but what i really want is for someone to convert it to dvd.

Any uber vid nerd got the gear to do it??

i have also downloaded twist of the wrist 2 and can send it to you or set up a way for someone to tap into it.................. for free

Bike
    2010 YZF R6
    Blog Entries

My Books have arrived

I just got:
    Sport riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch
    A Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code
    Performance Riding Techniques by Andy Abbot

CHHHOOIICCEEEEEE!
    Will let you know how i found them.
    NOT RACING ANYMORE SNIFF SNIFF

Bike
    2004 VTR1000 - GSXR600K7

I recommend .................

Twist of the wrist one and two. They are brilliant books ive read and read and read the both of mine and they put everything into terms you can understand.

The rest is practice practice practice and learn what the bikes trying to tell ya.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa . I finaly got my suspention setup for my weight, ttx ohlins on the rear (yeah bit flash really) and front end setup.

Cant wait for the summer rounds
    Bikes For Life "Misfit Racing"

Bike
    RG Loncin Bucket, CD200 Benly
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_cb125t View Post
    Hey i have just got the "twist of the wrist" video - be more than happy to share it but what i really want is for someone to convert it to dvd.

Any uber vid nerd got the gear to do it??

i have also downloaded twist of the wrist 2 and can send it to you or set up a way for someone to tap into it.................. for free
    Hey there, I'd be keen to grab a copy of the Twist of the Wrist 2 from you if the offer still stands! Can it be emailed, or a link set up to watctc/download it from?
    Gingas get life...Why don't murderers and rapists?!

RAG Racing

WFactor Racing 2010 - www.wfactor.org

Bike
    Laverda, Ducati, Morini and a odd Guzzi
    For those of us who are so-so riders, there are books out there that tell of riding in a different era, that are very good.
    Geoff Dukes book "In Pursit of Perfection" comes to mind.

Bike
    400 Husqvarna vmx
    There's a few goodies around from ye olden days, without doubt the best of them is the Jon Ekerold book, "The Privateer". Ekerold, a Seth Efrikan, won the world 350 title in 1980 on a privateer Yamaha, and his hard-as-nails, burning focus on the win is wonderfully depicted. He dumps shit on the FIM, Jackie Stewart, Sheene, and a few others, and his yarns about the working conditions endured by legendary tuner Helmut Fath are amazing, A riveting read.

For the eight or nine people left in NZ that haven't read Croz's book, that's well worth a few $$ as well, plenty of comedy masking the quiet determination of an undervalued talent.

Bike
    400 Husqvarna vmx

The latest from Kevin Cameron covers 53 successful race engines from the 1930s 120-deg v-twin Guzzi to the modern YZR-M1. As usual, clearly written, concisely explained and relatively cheap at around $35. A worthy read for tech heads and racers alike.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Having looked at what has been posted, and had a look at my bookshelf, the following books are racing related to a lesser or greater degree. Some are "how to" books, others are about racers. The books with "sport bike" in the title are there because most racing bikes in this country started life as sport bikes so the info should be relevant. With one exception I've left the older stuff off the list so most should be available. Somewhere.

The Art And Science of Motorcycle Road Racing - Peter Clifford ( That's the exception.)

Marco Simoncelli: The Tribute Book - Edited by Paulo Beltramo

Being There - Hugh Anderson

The Grand Prix Motorcycle - Kevin Cameron

Sportbike Performance Handbook - Kevin Cameron

Sportbike Suspension Tuning - Andrew Trevitt

A Faster Way - Troy Bayliss and Andrew Trevitt

Moto Vudu A GP Winner's Guide To Riding Faster on Circuit - Simon Crafar
    Available as video or book but don't get both because the information is the same.

That Near Death Thing: Inside the TT: The Worlds Most Dangerous Race - Rick Broadbent

John McGuinness TT Legend - Steven Davison

Guy Martin My Autobiography

Riding Man - Mark Gardiner
    I have the Kindle edition but the dead tree version can be obtained from his blog.
    http://www.backmarker-bikewriter.blogspot.co.nz/
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R100GSPD

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

Built For Speed - John McGuinness

Since the weather today is less than wonderful I'll take the time to mention this book.

Firstly what the book is not. This is not a manual on how to do a quick lap of the Isle of Man. When he was writing this, McGuinness had no immediate intention of retiring and he didn't want to give away any of his secrets - and he says so.

His writing style is brutally honest. If he stuffed up, be it a social situation, a business decision, an on-track incident or a familiy situation, he doesn't hold back. He is a working class lad and expresses himself in a very direct way. Were I writing a book like this I doubt I would be quite as forthcoming as he is.

He is by trade a bricklayer and getting the money to go racing did not come easy and that, coupled with a rather undirected approach to racing in the early days, meant that he was relatively late getting to ride on the Island. He considers this no bad thing. Young riders can be pressurised by team management or sponsors and he feels strongly that the Isle of Man is no place to be riding under pressure.

On one occasion Guy Martin made a crack about riders having to leave to polish their flash motorhomes. McGuinness took offence. He was copping flak from a 25 year old guy who was riding for a top team with top machinery. At 25 McGuinness was still laying bricks and trying to get the money together to go racing. In the earlier days he did have a big American motorhome but only a few people knew that was his only home. He, his wife and kids lived in it full time.

Still, he could return fire. At a subsequent TT McGuinness had won and Guy Martin was on the podium with him, as ceremonies were completing McGuinness turned to Martin, shook his hand and said "Excuse me I have to go and polish my motorhome."

McGunness comes across as a nice guy. He really doesn't want to be bothered just prior to the start of a race but people will come up for a selfie or a chat or whatetever. He obliges because he understands that it's a big occasion for them too.

There's some nice anecdotes about TT characters. He tells about the occasion Joey Dunlop was honoured by his home town. McGuinness and some other Brit riders went across to support Dunlop which he appreciated. After the formalities the group adjourned to Dunlop's pub. After a serious drinking session Joey Dunlop drove the guys back to their accommodation. The place had a big rockery out the front, as he left Dunlop demolished the rockery completely. The owner appeared screaming the odds wanting to know what the Hell was going on.
    Surveying the scene he asked, "Is that Joey Dunlop?" When told it was, he laughed and went back inside.

McGuinness comments on the various classes of bike. The 600s need to be ridden very precisely to get a good lap time and he feels the successful riders are underrated. The Superstock bikes are relatively easy to ride and thus there are quite a few riders capable of riding at the front of the field. The Superbike class is different. He says the Superbikes have a very small window where they perform at their best and very few riders can reach that window. The most difficult bikes to ride are the electric bikes, everytime an ebike goes into the pits the crew change the power settings and it's like riding a completely different bike. He says riding 120mph laps on a bike that weighs quarter of a ton is a special challenge.

McGuinness counsels new riders to wait until they have new machinery to race in the Island, both for safety reasons, and because they need to be riding around learning the course not working on the bike in the pits. Even now his bikes are never the most powerful. He wants enough power but he also wants reliability.

I have no idea what the book costs locally I got mine from The Book Depository. And now on to Michael Dunlop's book...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Nice .phill reads a great one.
    Athough might not be your era
    Want read spencers feel.
    Get alot from the library.
    You into auto bio, s from musicians too
    Joe jacksons reason for gravitys one most upifting
    Funny down to earth.
    One smart cookie.
    Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk