Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What tyre am I really getting?

Bike
    2020 Honda Rebel 500

What tyre am I really getting?

I've got a tyre priced up for my rear, just wondering if you guys reckon this is a crap quality tyre.

Front: 2.75x19 - Chengshin C117 - $55.00 + $28 Labour
    Rear: 3.50x17 - Chengshin C180 - $70.00 + $28 Labour

What do you guys reckon about the brand?

Also, what's the difference between the 19 and the 17?
    /end communication

Bike
    '96 suzuki GSF600s,'86 CBR400R Aero
    well i dont like them at all but thats just my opinion

17 & 18 are the rim size (diamiter in inches)
    asked Mom if I was a gifted child ... she said they certainly wouldn't have paid for me.

Bike
    Sold
    They've never been noted for grip, but if you aren't a hard charger, they offer value for money.  Fitness for purpose an' all that.

Bike
    2020 Honda Rebel 500
    Yeah I was thinking they might not be great grippers, I'll see what else I can get that's good..

Anyone recommend a brand for me?
    /end communication

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Well everyone knows my opinion on tyres - they are the only thing holding you upright - don't be cheap when chooing them.

Ant - look at the Dunlop 208's, Metzler M1's, Pirelli Diablos, Bridgestone BT010's - all great tyres for sport riding on the road.....and reasonable in the wet also.

Bike
    98 HondaRS125
    Chen shing are crap,I borrowed a cr125 to race motocross and that had them on-looked the part,not too different than a bridgestone only thing was when the bike was leaning into a corner,they just let go,all the time.(crashed in the carpark paddock).No more cheng shit.
    Luv it!

Bike
    gone
    Originally posted by wkid_one

Ant - look at the Dunlop 208's, Metzler M1's, Pirelli Diablos, Bridgestone BT010's - all great tyres for sport riding on the road.....and reasonable in the wet also.
    can you even get such tyres in smaller sizes? (remembers back searching in vane for a 140 to fit an 18inch rear rim)

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    For a 150, you'd be hard pressed to do better than Metzler ME77 / 33 combination. Good grip and should last yonks on a small bike. Not too dear,either.
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    Originally posted by georgedubyabush
    can you even get such tyres in smaller sizes? (remembers back searching in vane for a 140 to fit an 18inch rear rim)
    quite right. many of the supersport tyres are not available for under 400cc bikes and very few tyres at all are available for 18" rears. I ran a dunlop GPR 80's on my GPX 250 (18" rear too) and they were pretty good. I did screw up badly on them though and wrote teh bike off so my confidence was a bit shaken in them (but I doubt the tyres really played much of a role vs my inexperience).

Stick with the well known brands to be honest. if its a dirty cheap tyre, there will be a reason.

Bike
    Blog Entries

shinko tyres

has anyone heard of these guys? the tyre looks the same, feels the same (soft compound), smells the same......

http://www.shinkotire.co.kr/product/em_radial.htm

Bike
    2020 Honda Rebel 500
    Well here she is, she's a beast & looks more like an offroader. I must say it's rather good now that I know from experience. Very good in the wet too

/end communication

Bike
    KTM Duke. Last ridden.....?
    Did that come off a Massey Ferguson?
    If this is for your commuter bike, cheap = good?
    It's not like your gonna get a knee down or anything, or possibly?

Bike
    Registered. For now...

Re: shinko tyres

Originally posted by marty
    has anyone heard of these guys? the tyre looks the same, feels the same (soft compound), smells the same......

http://www.shinkotire.co.kr/product/em_radial.htm
    Opinions, opinions...

Kiwi Rider magazine gave then a good write up. Two dealers I know refuse to stock them on safety grounds. Stuffed if I know, but I do remeber clearly when owning any Japanese tyre was not a sensible option. Now, Bridgestone are amongst the best.
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

That's a copy of the old Dunlop K70 - Kenny Roberts was happy on them sideways at 100mph on a mile dirt track....give it a try.I still have a very hard original K70 on the front of my old Yamaha 650.In their day they were a good wet weather tyre - I used to hit manhole covers in wet corners to loosen things up.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    interesting to read that shinko publicity blurb about winning races... but I wonder, how many race teams actually use shinko tyres??? maybe I'm just an elitist Pirelli user but if the tyres are good, regardless of the publicity, people in the know will use them... and i don't know anyone using them!!

all of the major companies do make cheaper lower performance tyres for commuting etc anyway, so there's not really any need to go for a dark horse is there?

Thread Information