Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to embed images aesthetically and not enrage the mods

Bike
    -

Smile How to embed images aesthetically and not enrage the mods

You may have seen the controversy lately about embedding images. The site rules are, 640x480 resolution, no more than 100kb. The alternative is to upload your images as attachments, but this means you only get 6 images per post, and they all end up clumped together at the bottom of the post. Not ideal if you want to tell a story with words and pictures.

What to do? Thumbnails! Embed little pictures, that you can click on to get the full-sized ones. Just like this:

Used to be you had to have, for example, an account with Imageshack or others to host the images for you, and you'd have to use image editing software to produce the thumbnails. This is no longer necessary -- use the KB personal gallery and it's all taken care for you.

Let me show you how.
    1. First of all, let's get your photo into your KB photo gallery. Where's that? Go to Quick Links up the top of the page, then underneath Site Stuff is Gallery. Once in the gallery, click on My Photos, then Upload Photos. You can do up to four at once -- the process is fairly self-explanatory.
    2. So we have our photo in the gallery. Go back to My Photos and click on the photo you want. Now we have a choice. We can either embed the tiny traditional sized thumbnail, or we can embed a larger 640x480 sized thumbnail. For the smaller one, find the small image in the left-hand list, right-click, and choose `Copy Image Location' or similar. If you want to use the larger thumbnail, do the same thing except with the large picture in the middle of the screen
    3. This is the geeky bit. Go back to your post, write exactly the following where you want the image (except paste in the thumbnail's address that we got in the last step where appropriate):
    4. Now, we need the location of the full-sized image. In your photo gallery, click on the centre image so it opens up in a new window. This is the full-sized image. Now, like before, right-click and choose `Copy Image Location'.
    5. Go back to your post, and select the full `img' code, complete with brackets. At the top of the page, there's a little icon called `insert link'. It looks like an icon of the earth with a piece of chain (see image). Click on it, and paste in the location of the full-sized image.
    That's it. With a bit of luck, when you submit (or preview) your thread, it should have wee thumbnails to click on. If nothing displays, check the code is exactly how it is written, and make sure you've pasted the correct image locations.

Bike
    All of them

Bike
    -
    Yeah but but but...

I don't like those dirty adventure types. Make me feel inferior.

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    Yeah but but but...

I don't like those dirty adventure types. Make me feel inferior.
    nice layout on the instructions.

Bike
    GSX650F K9
    Blog Entries
    Yeah cheers. Very Helpful...

awsome work there xerxesdaphat

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Do you still need to be a member to see the attachments and/or the gallery?

Does the server still send pr0n as error messages when you try to cross-post attachments or view independently?

I don't want to upload my images twice, once to keep dial-up KBers happy and once for the rest of the world.

PS Most image hosting services also do thumbnails.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    -
    Well I just tested it out -- it works if you're not signed in. Attachments require you to be a member, IIRC.

In terms of cross-posting, it works on Google Pages just fine. Although, if you're cross-posting across different sites, it might be better (or simply more polite) to host them somewhere else in the first place. This is meant to be for people who don't want to have to host them and produce thumbnails themselves, keeping it all nicely self-contained on KB.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I did that and got into trouble for embedding thumbnails to files that breached the site rules.

Good luck with that.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

I don’t mean to be rude here, and Dave you know I have tons of respect for you as a person and for the work you so... but the rules have been made to help and suit 99% of the users. They cant make rules to suit one or two members out of 10500... that’s crazy... if you look at it rationally you will know what I mean.

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    I don’t mean to be rude here, and Dave you know I have tons of respect for you as a person and for the work you so... but the rules have been made to help and suit 99% of the users. They cant make rules to suit one or two members out of 10500... that’s crazy... if you look at it rationally you will know what I mean.
    Perfectly rational thanks.
    99% is spurious. So is 10,500 - that's how many have joined - tell me maybe 2000 active and I'll buy it
    However - numerous of the moderating team are even in favour.

And apart from all that. I don't really care that much. There are other outlets. It's just discussion.

However, we all know that 99% of the users dont have the talent like you do... hope there is a solution where you dont give up ownership and can still post within the rules.

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    I did that and got into trouble for embedding thumbnails to files that breached the site rules.

Good luck with that.
    What the shit...? But that's ridiculous. This is KB's own image gallery. Furthermore, we allow absolutely massive sized attachments to posts, what's the difference? None, except we can place them wherever we like throughout the post.

Mod's word on this?

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    I think the incident Jim2 is referring to was quite a while ago (vague alcohol hazed memory of something like that ages back ..... could be wrong though). Later on the mod team and Spank looked at the issue again and came to the conclusion there's no problem with it. And there still isn't a problem with embedding thumbnails.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    -
    Ah. I suppose with Jim2, most things he talks about happened `quite a while ago' and one should take them with a grain of salt Cheers.

One thing I find interesting about this, is that under Firefox, I'm getting pretty blue borders that change on mouseover with the thumbnails in this thread. In this thread, I don't get anything, just the images. And under Opera I don't get any borders anywhere. What are other people's experiences?

EDIT: Fixed.

Thread Information