Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 03 KTM LC4 or 08 DR650

Bike
    08 DR650

03 KTM LC4 or 08 DR650

I took the KTM out for a spin, road only and it was so much fun it should be illegal. Haven’t been able to try the DR yet, just not sure whether to go with a new bike or a five year old bike, they are about the same price.

Bikes intended use would be mostly commuting on road with some gravel / shingle fun at the weekend. I’m used to sport bikes and have never ridden a bike offroad so nothing too gnarly. Any opinions on which would be the better bike, greatly appreciated.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    The KTM is a great bike. I'm coming up to 50 000km on mine with no major problems. The only real upgrade from 03 onwards on the LC4 (I assume you mean the Enduro version) was some bigger footpegs in 04. But if they want near new DR650 money that's bordering on too much, the last of the brand new runout 04 LC4 Enduros were being advertised for $11.5K last year.

If you look on advrider.com in the Thumpers forum you will find enough info about the LC4 to make your head explode.

However the DR650 is a pretty good rig too, just a lot lower tech & without the extra grunt & bling suspension of the KTM.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    08 DR650
    Thanks Clint640, the KTM is coming up to 14,000 km's and is being offered for $8500, which is only $500 short of a brand new DR650. I like the look of the KTM, but think the price is a bit steep. Decisions, decisions.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Isnt there something about a high flow head being on the 03 and later as well Clint/Warewolf?

Given your intended use the DR650 would be more than OK. If your at all on the bigger side (I'm 110kg and 6'2") you will want to have a good look at the suspension though it is probably true of both bikes.

The DR doesnt have the bling (read power and more modern tech) of the KTM but with with suspension mods there ain't many places you cant go at very close to KTM pace (unless it gets pretty rough). Other things that may or may not be necessary given how you want to ride it are a bigger tank (easy to get from the states for about $360) and a seat upgrade. There is heaps more you can do the DR's as well. Check out Nordieboys thread

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    08 DR650
    This KTM has the high flow head.

Weight shouldn't be a problem, I'm about 75kg dry, I am a short arse though, 5'7". Found the KTM was fine heightwise and I believe you can lower the DR, if that was too high. Guess I need to try a ride on a DR.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabike View Post

Weight shouldn't be a problem, I'm about 75kg dry, I am a short arse though, 5'7". Found the KTM was fine heightwise and I believe you can lower the DR, if that was too high. Guess I need to try a ride on a DR.
    If you can handle a KTM for height then a DR should be no problem. I'm pretty sure the standard height DR is lower than the the 640's. The DR can be lowered using the factory built in features. Shock is piece of cake to put in lower position, forks need to be disassembled but the likes of Dirt Action Service on Saxon Street (DAS) can do it pretty quickly.

I'd give you a spin on my DR but it is currently at DAS getting 3rd gears replaced (some of them have developed a whine but current thinking is that it is an assembly problem not a design flaw - will know more in couple of weeks) and a new shock spring and revalve.

If the KTM is in good nick (better be for that price) and your even half keen on one then given your weight I'd go the KTM. You wont have to play with the suspension on the KTM where as the DR will be OK but never quite as good (in more ways than the suspension).

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro

The KTM is set up for a 70kg rider, I'm around 75 like you & with a 1 or 2 clicks stiffer all round the suspension is great.

Definitely go for a test ride on a DR, you might like the lower seat & smoother motor, but the moment you start thinking: 'Well, if I just upgraded the suspension, & put a better pipe on it for some more power, & maybe one of those digital dash thingys & some stronger handlebars...' give yourself a slap & go buy the KTM :-) (beat 'em down on the price a bit though!)

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    black and blue
    Thanks Clint640, the KTM is coming up to 14,000 km's and is being offered for $8500, which is only $500 short of a brand new DR650. I like the look of the KTM, but think the price is a bit steep. Decisions, decisions.
    Some shops still have the DR at summerfest price of $7995... there are three shops on trademe listing at that price
    "In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bike
    02 ktm 640 enduro
    sounds like it could be Lemans's old KTM you are looking at ... PM him & check out if it is ... he will be able to fill you in on it's history ...
    ... you know it's a bit windy when you get passed by your own dust ...

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Wot Clint said.......
    I looked at swapping my DR for an LC4 and only decided not to as I wanted to put the money into an off road bike. Apart from the vibrations, the KTM is far superior all round and I would certainly buy one given a fresh start at adventure riding.

However, you need to decide that for yourself, so go ride a few bikes!

PS. I would expect to pay $7500 for that year LC4, given my research of a couple of months ago.

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Weight shouldn't be a problem, I'm about 75kg dry, I am a short arse though, 5'7" ... I believe you can lower the DR, if that was too high.
    You're the same weight and height as me. My DR is still at the stock height and I haven't bought any aftermarket bits for the suspension. Although when I 1st got it I found the suspension to be all soft and bouncy, so took it in to Dirt Action who adjusted the rear end correctly for me, and also fitted some spacers to the front end to stiffen it up a bit - it was MUCH better. The stock suspension was fine for sealed and gravel roads, but wasn't up to the rough stuff at pace until after the adjustments. We're coming up to 5 years together now and I'm still very happy with it.

I haven't ridden a KTM so couldn't comment on how they perform.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    08 DR650
    Thanks for the advice guys, food for thought.

Bike
    2009, Ktm 990 Adventure S
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    Wot Clint said.......
    I looked at swapping my DR for an LC4 and only decided not to as I wanted to put the money into an off road bike. Apart from the vibrations, the KTM is far superior all round and I would certainly buy one given a fresh start at adventure riding.

However, you need to decide that for yourself, so go ride a few bikes!

PS. I would expect to pay $7500 for that year LC4, given my research of a couple of months ago.
    Hi, what were your sources? I've been looking and can only see a couple in Tardme both dealer, one for 8.5k '02 and another 10.5k '03. It doesn't look all that cheap to me (well 02 would be ok). They're a bit scarce as well not many on the market at a given time.

Thanks

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    There is nothing like the smell of a new bike

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Quote Originally Posted by pampa View Post
    Hi, what were your sources? I've been looking and can only see a couple in Tardme both dealer, one for 8.5k '02 and another 10.5k '03. It doesn't look all that cheap to me (well 02 would be ok). They're a bit scarce as well not many on the market at a given time.

Thanks
    Private sellers; I prefer not to use dealers unless backed into a corner, surrounded by rabid sheep and someone else is paying.
    The one I was considering was $7,500, 04 model with 25,000 km.

Keep looking is the answer!

Thread Information