Thread: 1991? gsx-r250

Bike
    1998 Suzuki GSX-R600

1991? gsx-r250

Woe is me. I recently purchased the above bike and have already been on here once asking for advice on getting the engine mounts welded (thanks Wheel & Frame Cambridge).

Since day one of purchase I have been having electrical problems with the bike, mainly slugish starting or not starting (first ride I took got about 5 km after push starting it and the bike just died) and I assumed it was a dud battery, as on inspection half the cells were below the min level. Topped it up and gave it a recharge over night and bike started first pop and went for about 3 days before dying again. Purchased a new battery but due to my ignorance used the old mans car charger (8Amps) and boiled the nice new acid in my bat and now some cells need topping up.

In the interim I charged the old bat again and bike started ok took for a short ride around my house, getting the mrs to have a little go. After 15 mins and a few elec starts (as the mrs stalled a few times) went to start and all I got was a solonoid click. Decided battery must be flat and tried to push start it again but this time back wheel just locked up. Tried 2nd and 3rd gears but to no avail. Couldn't get the back wheel to budge. Plenty of oil in bike no strange noises before engine stopped. Removed spark plugs to lower compression, still no movement. Tried rocking bike back and forth in gear and thought when going backwards I could hear the starter whir around slightly. Put in 6th gear and I could get the wheel turning just. Removed starter and flywheel cover to discover disintegrated magnets in magneto and damaged rotor. Pics attached. Previous owner must have known this was the case as there were only minimum traces of the broken magnets inside, and the stator wires have been cut and twisted back together. On reassembly they have also managed to jam one of the wires from the stator in the flywheel cover badly enough so it would have been shorting straight to the bike.

Does anyone have experiece with this and can answer questions below.

1. Is my bike a 1991 model? Rego says it is but from what I've been told/read on web steel frame box section and Frame no. GJ72A XXXXXX is a 1989 model????

2. If I can locate 2nd hand Stator & Rotor, is it an easy job to do myself and how do I do it. Do I need a special tool to remove the Rotor. Do I then need to align the replacement with certain timing marks etc. In the photos you can see someone has previously cut the wires to the stator. Is this a common replacement part. How do I know what yellow wire goes where on a replacement? ( I labeled these ones before removing)

3. Could the half wired in alarm system be draining power from the battery also?

4.Is a 1600mA charger 2A RMS good for charging bike batteries?

Sorry for the long ramble but I am not much of a mechanic and I am dying to get my bike going so I can actually ride it (now that I've missed all the nice Jan weather) Any help greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fly Wheel Rotor.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	496.2 KB 
ID:	87371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fly Wheel Rotor1.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	499.5 KB 
ID:	87377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stator.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	445.5 KB 
ID:	87378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stator Wiring.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	87379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GSX-R250.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	480.1 KB 
ID:	87380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1991 GSX-R250.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	501.4 KB 
ID:	87381  

Bike
    RF900 /cbr1100xx/GAS GAS 250
    dont get a secondhand stator, your just asking for trouble.
    best to get it rewound(but yours looks like its had a wack?) so a new one is on the card for you. go aftermarket as a suzuki one will prob be 800 bucks.
    Not sure of your magnet setup, you may be able to replace them. i know my hondas have all had embeded magnets so you replace the outer rotor as 1 part. (older bikes you could replace just the magnets)
    you will need to trace any other faults as well, test regulator and the whole charging system otherwise you may find yourself right back were you started!
    its important to check every component.
    not sure whats happedend to your stator, looks nasty, is it mounted to the outer cover? or fixed inside the rotor?
    its Crazy Big Al but if your have lesbian fantasies you can read it crazy bi gal if you like!

Bike
    Niftyfifty
    I had a stator rewind done on my honda cost $180 witch isn't bad, you should find the guy who sold you the bike

Bike
    1998 Suzuki GSX-R600
    I think the damage done to the stator and the gauge marks on the outside of the rotor have been caused by big chunks of the magnet being thrown about inside.

Bike
    what and rewind him!

Quote Originally Posted by rudolph View Post
    I had a stator rewind done on my honda cost $180 witch isn't bad, you should find the guy who sold you the bike
    its Crazy Big Al but if your have lesbian fantasies you can read it crazy bi gal if you like!

Bike
    looking at it again, the stator looked ok, well not cooked anyway. mine looked like it had been on the bbq when it died.
    not sure why magnets would fall apart unless something had wacked them in the first place, was the stator bolted to the cover tightly? ie wast it rattlin around inside the rotor and hitting the magnets?

Bike
    1998 Suzuki GSX-R600
    From what I can gather the stator was screwed on ok. Not sure how the magnets disintegrated, I now know the bike had been dropped at some point and Wheel & Frame in Cambridge thought the impact could have been in the area of the Flywheel cover. Yes I think the windings on the stator look ok, just not sure what effect the damaged tips would have on its function. Plus the wire that was jammed in the cover needs replacing and I would be running out of room for any crimp connection I could do. Thought it would be best to go for a 2nd hand one if it was in good nik. I have also heard that on some older bikes you could have the magnets replaced on the rotor?? Is this a possibilty?

Bike
    some older bikes you can replace the magnets as they get weaker over time. but modern ones are embeded so you replace the whole thing.
    i guess you could go for a secondhand stator and if it shits out then rewind it. just keep any eye on the AC voltage coming off it into the regulator.
    mine puts out about 70v AC from mem at med revs and bugger all at idle. I dont think your 250 will require as much juice as that.
    Im not sure what your charging specs are but wouldnt be hard to find out.

i rewound my own in the end, bitch of a thing to do but it worked.
    the stator poles are laminated plates and once broken i think thats the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Pete View Post
    From what I can gather the stator was screwed on ok. Not sure how the magnets disintegrated, I now know the bike had been dropped at some point and Wheel & Frame in Cambridge thought the impact could have been in the area of the Flywheel cover. Yes I think the windings on the stator look ok, just not sure what effect the damaged tips would have on its function. Plus the wire that was jammed in the cover needs replacing and I would be running out of room for any crimp connection I could do. Thought it would be best to go for a 2nd hand one if it was in good nik. I have also heard that on some older bikes you could have the magnets replaced on the rotor?? Is this a possibilty?

Bike

Bike
    Gone
    Might also want to contact Westie (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=9016). He was wrecking one of these.

Bike
    Several
    mikey has a complete spare one of those, yes steelframe one too, in his garage. pity you cant PM him because he ha been booted off.
    I will look under the floor, I have some bits of GSX-R250 motor, it may include the bits you want.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    1998 Suzuki GSX-R600
    Have spoken to Westie and he was trying to locate for me but no luck so far. Koba if you have anything, please let me know.

Cheers.

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    Check the part numbers and see if it is the same as an Impulse/ GSXR400. be easier to find, adn I might even have one somewhere.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Thread Information