Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle accident statistics

Bike
    WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Does anyone wear shin/knee guards, or spinal/chest armour while road riding?

I met a rider last week who wore shin/knee guards - he got these after a boy racer came too close, hitting his mirror, and he was knocked off but lucky he was not going fast and on a residential street.
    I often wear knee armour.

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850
    My cordura pants have knee, shin, and thigh soft armour built in

Bike
    WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingrob View Post
    My trousers have soft armour in the knees, but it's just skinny closed-cell foam. The armour has foam and a hard outer layer, and it's strapped onto my leg, so it's going to stay in place better.

The armour can be worn with other trousers - draggin jeans, mx pants etc. And it keeps your legs warm in winter.

Bike
    Scorpio
    42. Approximately 50% of the motorcycle riders in traffic were using safety helmets but only 40% of the accident-involved motorcycle riders were wearing helmets at the time of the accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouser View Post
    So what we can gather from that is, no helmet = more likely to have accident. Possibly because of underlying stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    20% less likely, in fact.
    I'm with Trouser: those figures suggest no helmet = more likely to have accident. Unless my brains have been baked by wearing a helmet all these years.

Bike
    DL1000 K8 VStrom
    What I meant was hard armour, not the soft CE armour built in to jackets and pants, and not even Kevlar that is built in. Motorcross armour sold separately is what I am asking about - such as what Rosie has for knee protection - the type that is strapped onto your body. I would think spinal-chest protection would cut down on serious injuries if a rider hit something like a car or lamp post.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Badjelly View Post
    I'm with Trouser: those figures suggest no helmet = more likely to have accident. Unless my brains have been baked by wearing a helmet all these years.
    If 50% of the overall data set is not wearing a helmet but only 40% of the crashies are, then...?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2013 Victory Judge
    42. Approximately 50% of the motorcycle riders in traffic were using safety helmets but only 40% of the accident-involved motorcycle riders were wearing helmets at the time of the accident.

20% less likely, in fact.

Which is inneresting, less risk-averse without one perhaps?

Note the data doesn't specify consequencial outcomes, just incidences.
    I read it the other way around:
    Riding: 50% with helmet, 50% without helmet (that's an awful lot!)
    Crashing: 40% with helmet, 60% without helmet

Therefore people wearing helmets crash more often. This would support the theory that people who wear bright colors are less likely to crash because of their general attitude rather than what they wear. Damn, it contradicts what I though all along...

Quote Originally Posted by Badjelly View Post
    Here are a few things I noticed:

19. ... female motorcycles riders are significantly overrepresented in the accident data.

This surprises me.
    Yes, me too. Are ladies less comfortable in urban traffic?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy View Post
    I read it the other way around:
    Riding: 50% with helmet, 50% without helmet (that's an awful lot!)
    Crashing: 40% with helmet, 60% without helmet

Therefore people wearing helmets crash more often. This would support the theory that people who wear bright colors are less likely to crash because of their general attitude rather than what they wear. Damn, it contradicts what I though all along...
    Y'know, I do believe you're right.

Which sorta makes more sense, what was your theory re violently coloured gear?

Yes, me too. Are ladies less comfortable in urban traffic?
    Surprised me a bit too, generally they take less risks. Maybe a higher percentage of 'em have a shorter riding carrer, putting more of them in the learner category.

Bike
    2013 Victory Judge
    I've noticed the following two that surprised me:

41. Seventy-three percent of the accident-involved motorcycle riders used no eye protection, and it is likely that the wind on the unprotected eyes contributed in impairment of vision which delayed hazard detection.

53. Less than 10% of the motorcycle riders involved in these accidents had insurance of any kind to provide medical care or replace property.

I'm sure the numbers are a bit better here, but how much better?

Oh, and:

# Black is a poor choice but not as bad as olive drab.

Damn, when I think of all those olive drab leather jackets around

Bike
    2013 Victory Judge

Y'know, I do believe you're right.

Which sorta makes more sense, what was your theory re violently coloured gear?
    There are some studies showing that people wearing a white helmet and colored gear are less represented in accidents, presumably because you are more visible. The difference is significant enough for me to wear gear with some sort of colored pattern.

However, there are also some arguments that people wearing high-viz vests and other types of colored gear for safety reason are more likely to be careful riders and less represented in crashes because of their attitude rather than the color of their gear.

There are quite a few threads around about gear and color.

Bike
    2000, Suzuki GSX 1200y "Inazuma"
    I'm obviously wrong, but I thought if people wearing helmets accounted for 50% of all riders, but only 40% of crashes, then helmet wearers are under-represented in the crash statistics by 20%, wheras if non-helmet-wearers represented 50% of all motorcyclists but 60% of riders involved in crashes then they were over represented by 20%.

Where is my maths going wrong?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by kave View Post
    I'm obviously wrong, but I thought if people wearing helmets accounted for 50% of all riders, but only 40% of crashes, then helmet wearers are under-represented in the crash statistics by 20%, wheras if non-helmet-wearers represented 50% of all motorcyclists but 60% of riders involved in crashes then they were over represented by 20%.

Where is my maths going wrong?
    You're not. Both are correct.

I just mis-read the original statement to mean the dudes without the helmets were less likely to crash.

Bike
    Scorpio
    However, there are also some arguments that people wearing high-viz vests and other types of colored gear for safety reason are more likely to be careful riders and less represented in crashes because of their attitude rather than the color of their gear.
    Yes, that sort of effect tends to confound all these statistical analyses.

You remember the announcement a few years back that HRT (hormone replacement therapy) increases the risk of breast cancer? A major part of the previous belief that it was beneficial arose from the fact(*) that woman taking HRT were more health-conscious & wealthy and consequently healthier, leading to a positive correlation between HRT and health.

At least I read an article on the WWW that said this a few weeks ago. I wish I could find it.

The question was solved in the case of HRT with double-blind clinical trials, but this wouldn't be possible for motorcyclists wearing high-vis clothing.

(*) Well, OK, it's more of an educated guess, but it will pass for a fact on KB.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    ...or diesel
    Enter Grahameeboy..not literally of cause....

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I've had countless motorcycle accidents over the years but like Jim2, I can't think of a single one that wasn't either my fault or that there wasn't something I could have done to avoid it.

Thread Information