Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitting wider tyres.

Bike
    aprilia
    be a shame to lose a championship on something so clear in the rules......none would risk doing that would they ?

Bike
    2010 Yamaha XT250, 2008 BMW F650 Dakar
    I've been running a cbr600 rear rim and 160 tyres on my sv. Works well with the wider rim and none of those chicken strips to be seen.
    Exploring pastures anew...

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystone19 View Post
    I've been running a cbr600 rear rim and 160 tyres on my sv. Works well with the wider rim and none of those chicken strips to be seen.
    Maybe people should stop veiwing those as chicken strips and more safety strips as the fact you still have some tyre left to lean onto to my mind is reassuring. And yes as soon as you fit the same tyre to a wider rim the profile flattens and they get smaller (safety margin strips).

Bike
    GSXR1000
    But surely when racing you want to use all the lean available when practical?

Bike
    Best Bitza Bucket 2008 BoB
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GSVR View Post
    Maybe people should stop veiwing those as chicken strips and more safety strips as the fact you still have some tyre left to lean onto to my mind is reassuring. And yes as soon as you fit the same tyre to a wider rim the profile flattens and they get smaller (safety margin strips).
    In this particular instance you don't have this rubber available to you anytime!
    The tyre's slight constriction on the narrow Suzuki rim means this part of the tyre is effectively vertical and you get no benefit from it what so ever. So you actually have less rubber on the road at lean angles than you should. No chicken strips on race bike tyres (and hard road riders) generally means the correct size tyre is fitted and is deforming and working as it should.

So they aren't a sign of a safety strip at all they're a sign that Suzuki still have huge reserves left in the spare parts bin and when you buy a "budget" model this is the equipment you will get.

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully60 View Post
    That's the point! In this particular instance you don't have this rubber available to you anytime!
    The tyre's slight constriction on the narrow Suzuki rim means this part of the tyre is effectively vertical and you get no benefit from it what so ever. So you actually have less rubber on the road at lean angles than you should.

So they aren't a sign of a safety strip at all they're a sign that Suzuki still have huge reserves left in the spare parts bin and when you buy a "budget" model this is the equipment you will get.
    And this is your excuse for having chicken strips? I bet you mine are bigger than yours.

Its ok this thread is starting to go off topic.

When I asked a 600 rider why he was fitting 190s to his bike the answer was because he was getting off the edge of a 180. That was last year and trends may have changed.

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Seriously Jono if you do this again I'll be forced to red bling you. This is a serious question.

sorry...promise i'll be good
    F M S

Bike
    Best Bitza Bucket 2008 BoB
    Blog Entries
    And this is your excuse for having chicken strips? I bet you mine are bigger than yours.

I only do poultry in small servings so big chicken strips aren't very appealing. Anyway haven't you seen what all the animal rights activists publish about chicken farming and growth hormones!
    When I asked a 600 rider why he was fitting 190s to his bike the answer was because he was getting off the edge of a 180. That was last year and trends may have changed.
    You'll find on the bikes that run 5.5 an 6 inch rims this is a valid choice because the profiles are designed desined to work with these size rims. In our case it's 160's or the highway pal, unless you do the wider rim thing.

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsv650 View Post
    be a shame to lose a championship on something so clear in the rules......none would risk doing that would they ?
    Almost as bad as having the wrong colour background on your number boards.

The rot has set in...

I know what you mean but the majority concensus here is that it would be a dissadvantage. And the rule your quoting seems more like a miss quote to me.

Bike
    GSXR450
    Almost as bad as having the wrong colour background on your number boards.

The rot has set in...

I know what you mean but the majority concensus here is that it would be a dissadvantage. And the rule your quoting seems more like a miss quote to me.

10-1-2 At all times the onus is on the competitor to ensure that their equipment is being operated
    within the specifications and limits (if any) imposed by the equipment manufacturer or
    supplier.

SO the F3 Rules allow you to change wheels! So the above rule, would apply still, to the wheel fitted to the bike! ie CBR600 5'' wheel, has a recomended tyre size of Bla Bla Bla

Simple really if you read and understand the rules
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    Honda PC800
    dude if you want to ask why not talk to people who have "been there done that"
    Have a look at www.svrider.com
    the race guys there are using 180s on cibber rimms etc
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    10-1-2 At all times the onus is on the competitor to ensure that their equipment is being operated
    within the specifications and limits (if any) imposed by the equipment manufacturer or
    supplier.

SO the F3 Rules allow you to change wheels! So the above rule, would apply still, to the wheel fitted to the bike! ie CBR600 5'' wheel, has a recomended tyre size of Bla Bla Bla

Simple really if you read and understand the rules
    Thing is with rules worded like that everyones got a different idea on what it actually says or means.

Whats the recomended tyre size for a 4.5" rim?

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    dude if you want to ask why not talk to people who have "been there done that"
    Have a look at www.svrider.com
    the race guys there are using 180s on cibber rimms etc
    These people have "been there done that" and liked the results apparently. I find it interesting as everyone else I've spoken with before this has wanted to move in the oppersite direction.

JohnsSV may be able to fill us in on the whole story?

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, but I seem to remember a young chap with a 180 or 190 rear tyre fitted to the rear of his SV650 pro twins bike earlier this year.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, but I seem to remember a young chap with a 180 or 190 rear tyre fitted to the rear of his SV650 pro twins bike earlier this year.
    Jimmy you psychic. I was hopeing no one would get what I was talking about for a few days yet!

Apparently its just not cricket. Sour grapes and all that.

Thread Information