Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitting wider tyres.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Just go to a 170 - there should be clearance with this - its an available size - the GS1200ss model came out with a 170 rear. No idea why as the rim is the same as Bandit that runs a 180, and lots of 1200ss end up with 180's. The 170 is possibly to quicken the turn a bit.
    They are a bit dearer ($10 or so) than the popular and pretty much standard 180.

Nothing wrong with a bit of a chicken strip, but not as much fun as riding a landing strip

Bike
    Mid 80s superbike, Mid 00s superbike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    I wouldn't do it. You'd turn a sweet handling bike into a pig, but most people say I don't know shit and you should do it anyway.
    Jim2 doesn't know shit and you should try it anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Grub View Post
    Nobody on KB or a bike shop knows better than them. Not even me.
    Neither does Grub, he can't even wave White flags on the right lap
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, but I seem to remember a young chap by the name of Karl Morgan or something with a 180 or 190 rear tyre fitted to the rear of his SV650 pro twins bike.

Has anyone actually beat Karl in that class this year.............?
    Here's a man who's thinking.
    Glen Williams is running a 180 I believe, and I know that Karl Morgan is running a 190.
    Guess which SV's are leading in their classes. If you can get them cheap, why wouldn't you throw it on and try it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Ok im coming out of my closet just this one time , I too kinda have a curvy figure which makes it worse beacuse im a guy. Well the waist kinda goes in and the bum pushes out. When I was in college the girls in my year would slap me on the arse and squeeze because apparently it is firm, tight... I wear jeans
    .....if I find this as a signature Ill hunt you down, serious, capice?

Bike
    aprilia
    in f3 you can change wheel/rim sizes and then get your 180-190 tyre on the correct tyre rim fitment.
    But in pro twins you must use the homologated rim and therefor the correct tyre for that rim as homologated is a 160 tyre even have correct part number 65110-17g00 for those who are building protwins up........
    if someone is using a 190 tyre on a 4.5 rim they should have read rule book and dunlpos tyre fitment guide as per sticker on every tyre sold .....
    did someone say a protwin rider had a 190 rear and all the others had 160's, isn't there a protest in that class regarding two items..........

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTboy View Post
    Here's a man who's thinking.
    Glen Williams is running a 180 I believe, and I know that Karl Morgan is running a 190.
    Guess which SV's are leading in their classes. If you can get them cheap, why wouldn't you throw it on and try it?
    Yes but Glens running his on the right sized rim. And I haven't asked him if he's convinced with it.

Never met Karl but he sounds like he's a lateral thinker or has some good people helping him out.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I rode Glens bike and was really impressed by how well it handled.
    But a factory SVrim wont take a 180 so it must have a cibber rim
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2002 SV650S
    Im pretty sure sv's run the same size width rear rim as late model katana 600 and 750's. (4.5")

if this is the case then you can get a 180 on their but the bigger you go the less tread is in contact with the road and this means more chance of hydroplaning in the wet or loose gravel.

also bad wear angles as the middle is pinched to fit on a smaller rim width than oem, so i could only assume this would hinder turn in stability.

but what do i know

Kiwi Biker - Keeping you up with the latest gossip...no matter where you are
    signaturepics/sigpic12191_4.gif

Bike
    1989 GN250 cafe racer
    Blog Entries
    wide tyres add street cred..you'd be partway to a mean streetfighter! as for the handling issue..with something putting out less than 100bhp at the wheel, its more likely to fuck your handling in and out of corners, due to the effects it'd have on your steering geometry (bikes gonna be on an odd angle when you put your knee down)..

but i say if you can find a way to do it, and affordably, go for it. just make sure you get REAL used to it before taking the old girl back onto a track!!
    original quote from 98tls - Who gives a shite about Kw when you can all arrive in Fox at the same time sit and have a coffee and thank fuck for motorcycles..whatever the wording on the gas tank.

Bike
    Ducati 900SS '93
    IMHO as "phat" as big dog tyres look on the rear (and they look pritty damn cool), and although it may fit, stick with manufacturers guidelines or you may be pissing away your money. I want to fit a bigger rear to my ZX6R so I'm looking into this at the mo too.....

So do it and tell us what happens!

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsv650 View Post
    in f3 you can change wheel/rim sizes and then get your 180-190 tyre on the correct tyre rim fitment.
    But in pro twins you must use the homologated rim and therefor the correct tyre for that rim as homologated is a 160 tyre even have correct part number 65110-17g00 for those who are building protwins up........
    if someone is using a 190 tyre on a 4.5 rim they should have read rule book and dunlpos tyre fitment guide as per sticker on every tyre sold .....
    did someone say a protwin rider had a 190 rear and all the others had 160's, isn't there a protest in that class regarding two items..........

If there is a protest in this calss, based on a rider using a non reccomended! Size tyre- I would personelly call the person who laid the protest a real WANKER

What a pathetic thing to protest about
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Same could be said about whoever protested Bruce Ansteys use of a carbon front mudguard two seasons ago.

Or a rider riding without a front guard fitted.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Same could be said about whoever protested Bruce Ansteys use of a carbon front mudguard two seasons ago.

Or a rider riding without a front guard fitted.

Where did that happen man?
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If there is a protest in this calss, based on a rider using a non reccomended! Size tyre- I would personelly call the person who laid the protest a real WANKER

What a pathetic thing to protest about
    Shaun --I think whats being "hinted" at is that the factory SV650 rim barely fits a 160 -therefor how could a 180 possibly fit.
    Or on plain english-pro twins rules say you must run FACTORY rims
    If someone has a 180 tyre the rim cannot be factory
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    SV400
    On the subject of fitting the Supersport tyres to SV rims I believe this to be a good thing if its not going to be turned into an issue and it actually works well.

Its good for Supersport riders as they have a market to onsell their slightly worn tyres to. And its great for racers on lower budgets as they can have good rubber without paying high prices.

My experience when buying new tyres has been that the 180s are cheaper than the 160s probably becuase they are produced in much larger numbers.

As for the rider that started doing it. possibly cost and availability may have been the initial reason. Maybe a bike will be better with a 160 but riders should be free to make up their own minds as to what they wish to run.
    Unless of course theres a safety issue here.

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTboy View Post
    Neither does Grub, he can't even wave White flags on the right lap
    One flag, one lap, two bikes, 6 months ago - get over it. Apart from that, it was the lap couter person that called the flag, I just wave the thing.

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by GSVR View Post
    On the subject of fitting the Supersport tyres to SV rims I believe this to be a good thing if its not going to be turned into an issue and it actually works well.

Its good for Supersport riders as they have a market to onsell their slightly worn tyres to. And its great for racers on lower budgets as they can have good rubber without paying high prices.

My experience when buying new tyres has been that the 180s are cheaper than the 160s probably becuase they are produced in much larger numbers.

As for the rider that started doing it. possibly cost and availability may have been the initial reason. Maybe a bike will be better with a 160 but riders should be free to make up their own minds as to what they wish to run.
    Unless of course theres a safety issue here.

Agree with all you say here mate

Thread Information