Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Fitting wider tyres.

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmmm lets really start a debate here.

The new dunlop slicks being used in the Production Superbike class are not the recommended tyre size for a GSXR1000 (or any other brand 1000 for that matter) therefor according to the arguments above everyone running them should be protested. Leaving only those riding on pirellis or metzelers elegable to win the championship.

What a crock. What next?, you can only run the oil specified in the manual. Or the specified brand, model and size of origonal fitment tyre????? Come on!!!!

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Actually, truth be known, none of the rear tyres ANYONE are using in Superbike or Supersport are factory fitted sizes as even the Pirellis are 55 profile. Standard fitment is 190/50 X 17 for all road going thous, 180/55 for most 600s.

She's a sticky situation when you get to this comprehension of the rules
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Actually, truth be known, none of the rear tyres ANYONE are using in Superbike or Supersport are factory fitted sizes as even the Pirellis are 55 profile. Standard fitment is 190/50 X 17 for all road going thous, 180/55 for most 600s.

She's a sticky situation when you get to this comprehension of the rules

HEY, who what where when, was Bruce A protested over the front guard
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    GSXR450
    MODS OR SOME ONE HELP PLEASE

Can a link be posted to the thread that was about a few months back, RE Tyre size for the 150 class being raced in the Sth Island

The way the rules are written now! and then! are CRAP, this current subject, and the issue over the 150 tyres PROVE THIS
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    Best Bitza Bucket 2008 BoB
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    MODS OR SOME ONE HELP PLEASE

Can a link be posted to the thread that was about a few months back, RE Tyre size for the 150 class being raced in the Sth Island

The way the rules are written now! and then! are CRAP, this current subject, and the issue over the 150 tyres PROVE THIS
    I've been looking for that thread and had no luck but I found these:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ht=streetstock

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ht=streetstock

Bike
    kohler 150
    Blog Entries

Manufacturer's recommendation

The official MNZ line re the Streetstock rules was that they were legally obliged to prohibit any tyres being used outside the manufacturer's recommendations. Of course we asked why this didn't apply to all the other classes, and in fact even with the FIM etc but we got no reply.

As a result we we have the sitiuation where the closest tyre to the MOTORCYCLE maunfacturer's specification we CAN"T use, and the tyre size MNZ tested and approved is actually illegal for road use, as it breaches LTSA rules (too small)

So if MNZ were in any way consistent with last years determination on Streetstock (note SS and Pro Twin are very similar format Sports Production classes) then only tyres specified by the Motorcycle and / or Tyre manufacturer can be used.

I feel the WANKER previously referred too was only acting with consistency as directed by the MNZ ruling lst year. I think that's fair (not wanking)

Bike
    Honda PC800

Doesn't this highlight a generic issue ??

That ALL the mnz rules need to be reviewed and common sense applied to them ?
    I'd also suggest that the class rules need to be reviewed by indipendant motorcycle engineers who DO NOT have personal reasons to want the class rules one way or another.
    Perhaps by a European/American or even Australian organisation.

Further I just cannot understand why we need to reinvent the wheel.
    Using Pro twins as the example. There has been a very successful pro twins series run in the UK for the past 5 or so years.The rules have been tried and the wrinkles worked out.
    In the US I can say the same thing with their mini twins series.
    I prefer the poms rules only because the yanks are more for open slather with engine work.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by oyster View Post
    The official MNZ line re the Streetstock rules was that they were legally obliged to prohibit any tyres being used outside the manufacturer's recommendations. Of course we asked why this didn't apply to all the other classes, and in fact even with the FIM etc but we got no reply.

As a result we we have the sitiuation where the closest tyre to the MOTORCYCLE maunfacturer's specification we CAN"T use, and the tyre size MNZ tested and approved is actually illegal for road use, as it breaches LTSA rules (too small)

So if MNZ were in any way consistent with last years determination on Streetstock (note SS and Pro Twin are very similar format Sports Production classes) then only tyres specified by the Motorcycle and / or Tyre manufacturer can be used.

I feel the WANKER previously referred too was only acting with consistency as directed by the MNZ ruling lst year. I think that's fair (not wanking)

Thanks for this post Oyster, and to your above comment, fair enough and well said, apologies the the person who put in the protest as an example to MNZ

DOES THIS CASE NOT PROVE WE NEED A FULL TIME RIDERS REP TO MANAGE OUR SPORT PROFESSIONALLY, Something MNZ cannot and does NOT DO!

Bike
    Big ol' Hornet.
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    That ALL the mnz rules need to be reviewed and common sense applied to them ?
    I'd also suggest that the class rules need to be reviewed by indipendant motorcycle engineers who DO NOT have personal reasons to want the class rules one way or another.
    Perhaps by a European/American or even Australian organisation.
    Thanks for this post Oyster, and to your above comment, fair enough and well said, apologies the the person who put in the protest as an example to MNZ

DOES THIS CASE NOT PROVE WE NEED A FULL TIME RIDERS REP TO MANAGE OUR SPORT PROFESSIONALLY, Something MNZ cannot and does NOT DO!
    As long as current CEO of MNZ is at the helm, nothing will change.
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
    Heinlein

MotoTT Trackdays

Bike
    GSXR450
    Can some one please find and copy and post on here the rule in MNZ rule book that says- I cannot find it!

Tyre size may only be fitted to what the manufacturer of the wheel says

ie 5.5" wheel 180 or 190 or what ever

Some one please do a good search, think a bit criptick if required

Bike
    Ducati V4S Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GSVR View Post
    I don't like the look of the skinny little 160 section tyre on my SV and was thinking of fitting a 180 or 190 as I can get these cheap.

Just wondering if the bike will have any handling issues and if so what might these be? Like straight line stability or trouble tipping in.
    I've got a 250 on mine and its beautiful for cornering.

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    As long as current CEO of MNZ is at the helm, nothing will change.

AGREED! Respected him so much as rider years ago, but as OUR PAID CEO, he is useless

Bike
    SV400
    HEY, who what where when, was Bruce A protested over the front guard
    2005 Nationals at Ruapuna apparently.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...6&postcount=28

I only knew it was over some carbon somewhere on the bike.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin

Agree fully. MNZ are a law unto themselves. They do bugger all by way of 'fostering' motorcycling events. They don't enforce their rules or reply when asked tricky questions.

But this is good ol'e NZ, banana republic of the pacific. She'll be right mate, no worries.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by GSVR View Post
    2005 Nationals at Ruapuna apparently.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...6&postcount=28

I only knew it was over some carbon somewhere on the bike.

Wow, I had noticed some bits on his 1000 that TECH did not fit our rules. so I gave them a brake system etc to make sure he could not be protested, but never noticed the front guard

Thread Information