Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fitting wider tyres.

Bike
    WR269f, WR450f
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Can some one please find and copy and post on here the rule in MNZ rule book that says- I cannot find it!

Tyre size may only be fitted to what the manufacturer of the wheel says

ie 5.5" wheel 180 or 190 or what ever

Some one please do a good search, think a bit criptick if required
    All I could find........
    ProTwins:
    4. Tyres
    Tyres V or Z rating must be used. Only tyres on general sale to the public in
    New Zealand as road legal fitment will be permitted. For all events other than
    endurance races only one set of tyres per meeting will be allowed for races
    counting towards the MNZ championship.

F3:
    5-6-1 Wheels, brakes and tyres are optional. Racing tyres and tyre warmers are permitted.

Steetstock:
    22-12-10 Tyres
    Gazetted Tyres for 150cc Street Stock Class.
    Tyre sizes, 80/90, 90/90, 95/70, 90/65, 100/80, 110/90, 120/80 x 18 TT900, 110/80 x 17
    Applies to 150cc Street Stock only.
    1. The choice of tyre is optional, either a slick or a Dot/European approved road
    legal tyre on sale to the public. (No grooved slicks, modifications or treatments
    allowed to tyres)
    2. All tyres fitted must be mounted on a corresponding rim as per the tyre
    manufacturers recommendations of rim to tyre specifications. These shall be
    gazetted on the MNZ website and up dated as necessary.

Dunno if that helps

Bike
    aprilia

tyres

hi shawn,
    maybe i'm the guy you called a wanker,down
    here in south island, the problems with streetstock is mnz rules are rim size = tyre width, so some of us understand the way of thinking on that, some don't ,
    but once they make a stand.......
    rim width = tyre width.........

so if someone had a 4.5 rim and a 190 tyre......outside suzuki homologation and outside dunlop recommendations.........

rule 10-1-2, must be within manufacturers specilfications and permitted limits, and a 190 tyre has fitment from 5.5-6.0 .
    a 160 tyre ca fit 4.5-5.5 in dunlops catalogue......

protwin says inless mentioned below it must remain as homologated...... you go to tyres, it doesn't say a tyre size bigger or smaller so it must be as homologated....homologated size even has a part no and states size of 160
    can you see how some south islanders might see the rules .
    the class will only get bigger ..........

Bike
    Big ol' Hornet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    AGREED! Respected him so much as rider years ago, but as OUR PAID CEO, he is useless
    New career option for you??
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
    Heinlein

MotoTT Trackdays

Bike
    Bicycle

Thumbs down SV tyre rule

Quote Originally Posted by johnsv650 View Post
    hi shawn,
    maybe i'm the guy you called a wanker,down
    here in south island, the problems with streetstock is mnz rules are rim size = tyre width, so some of us understand the way of thinking on that, some don't ,
    but once they make a stand.......
    rim width = tyre width.........

so if someone had a 4.5 rim and a 190 tyre......outside suzuki homologation and outside dunlop recommendations.........

rule 10-1-2, must be within manufacturers specilfications and permitted limits, and a 190 tyre has fitment from 5.5-6.0 .
    a 160 tyre ca fit 4.5-5.5 in dunlops catalogue......

protwin says inless mentioned below it must remain as homologated...... you go to tyres, it doesn't say a tyre size bigger or smaller so it must be as homologated....homologated size even has a part no and states size of 160
    can you see how some south islanders might see the rules .
    the class will only get bigger ..........
    My understanding is that Morgan used 190's because he couldn't get the new 160 Pirelli's (few could) which are the poop, they tell me. Anyway, there is no advantage to a bigger tyre - the narrow rim pulls it in creating a sub-optimum profile for sidegrip - you just spin more tyre than you're using which is a bad deal on a little gutless bike.
    How could someone deny him the championship for that technicalty?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Hey a rule is a rule. right or wrong If the rule was clear and unambiguous then thats what protests are for.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Hey a rule is a rule. right or wrong If the rule was clear and unambiguous then thats what protests are for.
    Firstly better quote the rule as written:

10-1-2 At all times the onus is on the competitor to ensure that their equipment is being operated within the specifications and limits (if any) imposed by the eqiupment manufacturer or supplier.

Remember this is in "Motorcycles Technical" which applies to everyone.

What happens when you get a hot cam grind in F3? Surely your bikes now out the the manufacturers specifications.

What if someone steps up to the mark and says they supplied a rider with 190 tyres and didn't impose any restrictions on how they where used.

My personal view on why a certain rider was so much faster than the opposition was he can ride very well and he's had a very good engine tuner thats made a very quick engine within the ProTwin rules that allow for considerable tuning.

Bike
    Bicycle
    Geez Frosty we'll make a traffic cop outta ya yet! Show us ya whistle. Surely rules are to stop people having an unfair advantage - Morgan had no tyre advantage - he RODE FASTER. ALOT.
    Side point - is tyre availability (= manufacturer allocation) an important issue in classes like Protwins? Its just not fair on lazy broke bastards like me who expect to buy tyres the last payday before a race...

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by svr View Post
    Geez Frosty we'll make a traffic cop outta ya yet! Show us ya whistle. Surely rules are to stop people having an unfair advantage - Morgan had no tyre advantage - he RODE FASTER. ALOT.
    Side point - is tyre availability (= manufacturer allocation) an important issue in classes like Protwins? Its just not fair on lazy broke bastards like me who expect to buy tyres the last payday before a race...
    Wouldn't it be great if MNZ and Pirelli did a deal and supplied everyone with a cheap control tyre. The class could be called "The Pirelli ProTwins". Pirelli would make a good profit with a captive market and get great advertising.

And in theory the racing would be closer with everyone on the same rubber.

Bike
    Bicycle
    Sounds good Garry but I suspect someone would put a 160 on the front or run non-homologated valve caps or something and still get there arse protested.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Pussy - get one of these 360's on that rim (the narrow rim may actually pull the tyre into something resembling a curved shape).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vee360.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	88442  

Bike
    Honda PC800
    shit sometimes I hate this way of communicating.
    DRIP GREAT GOBS OF SARCASM-
    " If the rule was clear and unambiguous then thats what protests are for"

This is THE perfect example about rules being badly written.
    Instead of --10-1-2 At all times the onus is on the competitor to ensure that their equipment is being operated within the specifications and limits (if any) imposed by the eqiupment manufacturer or supplier.

Why Not simply actually ASK what tyre size all the pro twins bikes are SOPOSED to run and make that the rule.
    SAY---- Pro Twins supplimentary
    All pro twins bikes must use 120/70/17 front tyres which must be DOT tyres
    All Pro twins bikes must use either 150/50/17 or 160/50/17 rear tyres which must be dot aproved tyres.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    aprilia
    Quote Originally Posted by svr View Post
    My understanding is that Morgan used 190's because he couldn't get the new 160 Pirelli's (few could) which are the poop, they tell me. Anyway, there is no advantage to a bigger tyre - the narrow rim pulls it in creating a sub-optimum profile for sidegrip - you just spin more tyre than you're using which is a bad deal on a little gutless bike.
    How could someone deny him the championship for that technicalty?
    what a load of shit, there were many dunlops in stock and after ruapuna he went to dunlop and got 2 160 rears but never put them on, some people talk shit and were surposed to believe them hes a class rider, but as a rule reader and tyre stocks he is ............. well not as good as his riding..

Bike
    GSXR450
    what a load of shit, there were many dunlops in stock and after ruapuna he went to dunlop and got 2 160 rears but never put them on, some people talk shit and were surposed to believe them hes a class rider, but as a rule reader and tyre stocks he is ............. well not as good as his riding..

OK THEN ALL ( "US") OLD BASTARDS ON HERE HAVING OUR SAY

1) How many of you, knew to look in Motorcycle technical for rules concerning the class?

2) I Bet 99.9% of ya, just read the RULES ONLY for the class ( AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN WRITTEN)

3) ie, that is how someone paid someone to fit the wrong illegal cam/s- mistakes, and interpretations-

4) It seems it is all about having a go at a young 20 year old, who has come back to the racing scene after many years of illness and stuff, has done an awsome job out there, and what is the point of protesting over such a pathetic rule?

5) Or is the protest thing really about a huge hidden JEALOUS FACTOR

BLOODY WELL DONE ON YOUR CHAMPIONSHIP CARL MORGAN, YOU EARNED IT MATE- I THINK
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    SV400
    Seems as a rule reader your the same. Started a thread about it!!!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=61218

Sorry mate I'm not really trying to have a go at you becuase I'm always getting the rules wrong myself. Infact I brought a bike that isn't on the homogated list and has all this extra emission stuff on it that I'm sure the rules wont let me remove...

Just let it go... Becuase the class is just getting going theres sure to be a few glitchs. I'm hope any confussion in the rules will be addressed.

Atleast we don't have to deal with the F3 rules anymore which I think are a complete unupdated mess.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    But isn't it a bit like the cops with the "anti smacking" law ?
    You know the laws/rules are a total mess and basicly WRONG.
    You use whatever means you have available to get the laws/rules changed.
    It seems that the only way to highlight issues is for there to be public outcry. -arrest/protest a "good kiwi bloke" for breaking the law/rule.

Thread Information