Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coppins World 2008 FIM Thread

Bike
    2006 RMZ 450
    Don't hold your breath for sky.....
    That sucks!!!
    I would gladly give up half the bloody rugby coverage we get to watch the World Motocross Champs which there is a good chance a Newzealander will win unlike the rugby........

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    More from the Thor website

Quote Originally Posted by THOR
    Coppins unstoppable in Valence 02-23-2008

Josh Coppins swept all three races at the Valence International meeting in southern France; beating a host of world championship peers including 2007 number one Steve Ramon.

The New Zealander won the popular French event for the second year in succession and took holeshots in two of the three motos, enjoying small battles with Sebastien Pourcel, Julian Bill and Ramon across the race programme to mark his perfect score-card. It was the second time that the 30 year old (31 next month) walked the top step of the rostrum after his proficiency last Sunday at Montevarchi in Italy and in spite of discomfort in his left shoulder than he aggravated at Mantova.

It was an enjoyable race because the weather was good for once and the track offered near Grand Prix conditions which meant that I could really go for it, said the YZ450FM rider. I cannot complain with the build-up I've had. We have been using the race-bike for three weeks now and I am coming to grips with it. My shoulder is not 100% and I will go for a scan tomorrow. It has become better since Mantova but gave me some trouble on the long and rough down-hills at Valence. I will find out this week what I have to do, whether it be physio or rest, and there is plenty of time before the first Grand Prix to get back to normal. I am in great shape, so my confidence is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    And Harold has some news about Katherine too

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/...ectid=10497794
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike

Bike
    It gets worse!

Quote Originally Posted by some overseas mag
    Yamaha Monster Motocross Team’s Joshua Coppins is facing a rush to be fully fit for the opening round of the 2008 FIM MX1-GP World Championship in two weeks after an incident while training Saturday morning (22nd March) caused the New Zealander to break two toes on his right foot and undergo immediate surgery.
    here http://www.mxlarge.com/detail.php?cl...todisplay=1247

Bike
    SV1000, RMZ250
    He'll be sweet, its only a couple of broken toes, could be worse.
    Go Coops

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by arj127 View Post
    He'll be sweet, its only a couple of broken toes, could be worse.
    Yeah - like a broken shoulder blade - oh that was last year.

Bike
    SV1000, RMZ250
    Nup, not like a broken shoulder blade. Its his right foot, he really only needs it to stand on the peg with the arch of his foot. Not like its his gear shifting foot. Pump some drugs into him and he'll be sweet. Depends on how much he really wants that championship i think
    Go Coops

Bike

50/50 for first GP

Quote Originally Posted by JC
    "I cannot believe my luck, this is the third injury in a row that I have had that was not my fault, Valkenswaard is 50-50 at the moment. My foot has to heal naturally and we might run out of time; I'm not too sure how things will go at the moment. We will have to assess things over the next few days. I am trying to stay positive but clearly this was not what I wanted. It is a long season though and we have to keep looking ahead."
    from here - http://www.dirtrider.com/features/14...red/index.html

Bike

and more from the man himself

Quote Originally Posted by jc's web site
    As you may know I crashed in France last Saturday injuring my toes. On some web sites it’s been reported that it was my small toes - I wish it was but it was the big one and the one beside that. The break is not really the problem though. I stubbed them so hard the bones came through the skin and the end of my toes mostly came of. Dr. Claes treated me and I can’t thank him enough for doing his best to get me ready for GP1.

I was thankful to be wearing Alpinestar boots. Without these it would have been a lot worse. So from here I’m just trying to heal up and I see Dr. Claes most days to follow the progress. At this time Valkenswaard is still doubtful but I can promise you I will try my best to be there. To speed things up I’ve been doing some physio and today I started back at the gym as I was going crazy sitting round the house!
    ooooowwwww!

Bike
    Just listened to a radio interview of JC where he said he would be riding this weekend.

Bike
    KTM
    That would be great news if Josh is fit for this weekend.

Found this footage of the MX Valkenswaard 2007.

Some crasy riding going on.

Go Josh!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMzk4...eature=related

Bike
    KTM
    Latest news interview ex Alpine Stars

On the Ropes: 5 Minutes with Josh Coppins

Last spring at the giant sandbox-like Eurocircuit in Valkenswaard, Holland, Josh Coppins handily rode to victory in the curtain-raising Grand Prix of the 2007 World Motocross Championship Series. Aboard a full-on works Rinaldi Yamaha, it was to be Coppins year. So long the bridesmaid on the global stage, Coppins had everything he needed to finally win the FIM MX1 Gold Medal he so desperately sought. And proved that by trouncing the competition so soundly once the series spooled up, that he was leading the World Championship by 107 points before destroying his shoulder at round eleven of the series at Loket, Czechoslovakia. Signed up on the potent Monster Energy Yamaha Rinaldi team and in possession of a mighty Yamaha 450FM, all was set for 2008 until a recent practice crash broke two toes on his right foot. Coppins and company went right into damage control mode and now have the 31 year-old New Zealander patched up and ready to ride in this Sunday’s season-opening Grand prix, once again poised to be held in the deep, hot chocolate brown sand of Valkenswaard. Is Coppins ready? Can he overcome the pain, misfortune and, once again, bad luck that has plagued him? Today, we spoke at length to the friendly, talented and fiercely determined racer.

Josh, I spoke to your business manager Glen Dempsey. He told me your toes are okay to race with, but it's the pain threshold you'll have to deal with that is concerning. How will you deal with this on Sunday at Valkenswaard? Are there any precautions you can take? And at what percentage do you think you'll compete at?
    Well, I’m not sure how bad it will be. As I sit here right now, to be honest, I don’t think it will be too bad. I have a doctor who will be at the race to give me some medication if need it as well as to re-dress the wound each time I ride. I can have an injection for the races to numb the end of the toe, but I hope it doesn’t come to that. The broken toes are one thing, but the major problem is the wound itself as it was a compound fracture. It has not healed up yet and I have to be careful for infection.

Do you have a plan or a strategy just to be able to get through Valkenswaard?
    Not yet. A lot of guys have worked hard towards GP1 and are pushing hard but to be honest I just want to make as many points as I can and look to start winning as soon as I’m healthy. I doubt I’ll be attacking. I’d say I’ll just be smart. As we know, it’s a long season. I’ll know more when I get on the bike.

Do you like the Valkenswaard circuit?
    Yes I do – it’s not deep sand, but it gets rough. Valkenswaard has cool jumps, and overall, it’s a fun track. And I won there last year!

Upon leaving Valkenswaard on Sunday evening, what type of result would make you happy?
    A top 10. That sounds pretty lame, I know, but 10 days ago I was looking at my toe sticking out the end of my boot and I thought the season was over! So to be lining up this weekend is a bonus. Don’t get me wrong: I want this title and I think that with a steady start I can still get it.

Will the additional time between Holland and the Grand Prix at Belpuig, Spain — Belpuig set to be run a fortnight later — help matters a lot?
    For sure it will. I hope to not do too much damage racing GP1 in Holland and then rest a week after the race. Then I hope I can train again and get my fitness, feeling and riding back to where it needs to be.

If you had to guess - and if all goes well - when do you feel you'll be back to 100%?
    By the third Grand Prix in Portugal. But if it goes well in Holland, I’m not ruling out a good result at the second GP in Spain.

Josh, just how did you hurt the toes?
    I was training at a heavy sand track in Dunkirk on the French coast. A rider fell over a jump and was on the blind side. I didn’t know and landed on his bike. My toes hit his footpeg.

What went through your mind when you got to your feet and knew you were injured?
    I was like: Not now! Not again! And not like this!

Was 2008 to be your year? Can is still be your year?
    Ummmmm... Well, I thought 2007 was my year... You know Ricky Carmichael says he believes you make your own luck and I used to agree with him, but not anymore. The last two Injuries there wasn’t a lot I could do and it was really out of my hands. I can still make this year my year. There’s a long way to go. The Monster Yamaha [Rinaldi] team is great and the bike is awesome. I’m confident I can make it happen. This is just a kink in the road.

How long did it take to shake off the disapointment of 2007?
    About a week. I laid around at home feeling sorry for myself and then I thought: “You know what? It’s shit, but Im still one of the luckiest guys in the world. I get to do what I love every day of the year and get paid for it.” So from that day on I got on with it.

You're about do some good luck, aren't you?
    Yes I am! I don’t need luck, though. I just don’t need bad luck.

Will you keep going until you win the title?
    I’m not sure. I believe I’ll win this year. As for my future, it’s up in the air. I guess Yamaha and I will have to make some decisions soon. I see Joe Gibbs racing is looking for an outdoor rider! Shame I haven’t got the title already otherwise I could be riding outdoors in the U.S. this year.

How are things within the Monster Yamaha Rinaldi team? Is the bike good?
    The factory Yamaha 450 is awesome. I think everyone knows that the Yamaha 450 is a lot better in 2008. My team is really good and professional. I’m very happy there.

Can you tell me a little about each of these riders I’m about to list and how do you think they'll fare in 2008?
    Sure.

Steve Ramon.
    He is very consistent and is technically a good rider, but lacks the X factor. I think he’ll win some races in 2008, maybe even this weekend, but not the title. He got lucky last year and he needs to be better and fight a lot harder if he wants it in 2008. He is a top three guy.

Kevin Strijbos.
    Kevin is a good guy and also technically very good. He is on a new team (Note: Kawasaki) and has had a few problems adapting to the new environment. He’ll win some races and is a top three guy, but I think it will take him a bit to get going.

Sebastien Pourcel.

He is fast, but not that often. He also isn’t too fit. However, he is getting better all the. I rate him as a top five guy.

Ken De Dycker.
    He is really fast, but not for long. He will be good early season, but not later in the season. Condition is his problem.

Mike Brown.
    Mike is an awesome starter. He likes the hot races. Mike is fun to race with! I see “Brownie” as a top 10 guy.

Billy Mackenzie.
    I’m not too sure about Billy Mac. I think he’ll be better in 2008. Consistency has been his problem. Maybe he can get into the top five in 2008.

Marc de Reuver.
    Sand races he can win, but he struggles to keep his concentration all season. I think he’ll be much better this year than last year.

Josh, what's your goal for the 2008 season?
    World champ.

Will it be a highly competitive year?
    I think it will be more than last year. A lot of the riders you mentioned are in their 2nd year of MX1 so they will be stronger. I think it will be like last year: Many different winners but consistent good results will win the title.

Would you ever hope to race here in the U.S.?
    Yes, that would be great. I’d love to do outdoors and see more of your country, but it’s a matter of doing it for the right team and the right reasons. So at the moment, it’s only a dream, which I love to make come true.

I ran into you at the 2007 Motocross of Nations at Budds Creek. What did you make of the event and of the U.S.-based racers?
    The event went off well, I thought. Sure there were some minor issues, but mostly because of how big it was! The U.S. based riders were mostly a big step ahead of the Europeans. To be honest, we are dragging the chain a bit over here at the moment. You have so many good kids coming through here in the U.S. that want it bad. And “Want” is the key word. I’m not sure it’s like that as much over here in Europe anymore.

Bike
    07 KDX 200 (Miss Piggy)
    Just got this email from Josh's web site.........sounds promising....Go Josh...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi there,

Just a quick note to let you know that I went riding today. I was a little nervous and wasn’t really sure what to expect of the toes but it went better than expected. Of course it’s not 100% but I am sure I can have a respectable result this weekend and not lose too many points in the championship.

Alpinestars sent me a pair of Tech 8’s which my trainer, Stefan was able to modify and it worked pretty well. I’m off to see Dr. Claes for a final check before the weekend, but as you can tell I’m pretty happy after today.

See you in Valkenswaard!

Josh.
    clmintie 1, Grim Reaper 0

Visit my web site http://clmintiepix.co.nz You'll laugh, you'll cry, it'll change your life....

Bike
    '03 FXD
    Shit I know motocrossers are a tough bunch but fuck they breed em real steel in Mot!!
    Makes all other sports look like a bunch of pussies.The only one I can put in the same boat is Colin Meads playing the Boks in a test back in the 60's one week after breaking his arm and remember this was pre camera days so hard/dirty play was the norm.,
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Thread Information