Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: #6

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I "was" gonna do what I said but once I started cutting steel to make the U-bend I realized it was going to take ages to make it look any good so caved in to laziness and put the pipe in the usual place. If I can find a piece of suitable mandrel-bent pipe I'll still do it. I've even got the support bracket made but just have to adjust one hole to get it to all bolt up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smallDSC01783.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	90086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smallDSC01784.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	90087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smallDSC01785.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	90088  

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    that stinger is hugley long... how will that affect performance?
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    that stinger is hugley long... how will that affect performance?
    I'll let you know after it's been on the dyno, again. Got some base runs from the old bike for comparison.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    I'll let you know after it's been on the dyno, again. Got some base runs from the old bike for comparison.
    top end speed for a stinger isnt it?
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    It's got real low gearing at the moment with the stock FZR rear sprocket. Just another thing to sort out at the wreckers tomorrow.

Bike
    Big Orange KTM
    That motor is mounted very high which makes the beginning of the chamber very long, is this why the stinger is soooo loooong to balance it all out?
    It still looks heavy to me & no I havent left yet
    If you're not living on the edge you're not leaning over far enough

Bike
    BSA A10
    What are you doing with the old rolling chassis?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    The motor is mounted high as one engine bolt hole lined up perfectly with one bolt hole on the frame and the sprocket is more or less where it should be. The first bit of the chamber is tapered and hasn't changed from the old #6. The stinger is long because of where the chamber ends and where the muffler starts. It looks like it'll be about 80Kg but there will be a few kilos to lose after everything else is sorted so it isn't as bad as it looks. The chassis is fairly thinwall sheet and a couple of castings.

Old #6 chassis is just sitting in the garage at the moment. I need to take the shock(RS125 shock) out of it but otherwise I'm keen to get rid of it as is.

Bike
    Gixxer
    So your using a Yamaha chassis and a Honda motor?
    Thought you were a kwaka man? Or have you actually come to your senses?
    Motorcycing is not a hobby, It is a way of life!

Missed forever! NEVER FORGOTTEN!!
    LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Friends dont let friends ride Hyosungs

Bike
    ninja 250
    Could you run the pipe straighter so it went under the motor, between the swingarm and exited out the tail section? Be fairly crash proof then? And yes it does look as if it is mounted very high in the chassis.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I reckon if you modify it enough you can call it what you like. This is #6.

The rear cone finishes past the shock so to turn it up inside the swingarm is nearly impossible, I did look at that option. The ideal I think is still to put a U-bend around behind the shock to the muffler on the left of the pipe with the exit pipe crossing over to exit over the header on the right side.

The motor may look high but the top chain run still drags on the top of the swingarm at full extension. It's Ok, just, with me sitting on it.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    It's ALIIIIIIIVE!!!

Slow run up and down the road after I got the fuel cap and fitted the tank and lines. It could be just me but it seems to pull to the left if I grab a big fistful of brake, The forks look to be bottoming out so I will have to see what the best approach to fixing that will be. The brakes feel a bit spongey and it looks like a soft brake hose. I thought it might have been OK after all it is genuine RG50 brake hose, but it swells nicely. The back lifts in a nice controlled manner on the brakes but hopefully that will be reduced once the front dive is sorted, the lifting that is, not the control. It is also WAY undergeared with the stock FZR rear sprocket.

This thing is going to take a bit of getting used to I think. Might just have to cruise out to the track this week for a little test session.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Wellllll . . . . . . .

got the new 40T sprocket fitted after much machining. Had to use cap screws as the sprocket is so small compared to the carrier that ther isn't room for the chain and normal mounting bolts. Also had to relieve the carrier where the mounting bosses are as the chain rode up on them as well. May have to rethink the swingarm protection where the chain runs as it is gonna rub a bit more with the smaller sprocket. Pretty well last thing is just doing the rear set for the gear shift. Have modified the lever so the angle to the rose joint mount is correct and now have to lengthen the rod and get it around the frame between the gearbox gear shaft and the lever.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    It goes, and it goes real good. I thought I had enough clearance with the chamber but I ended up dragging it on the entrance to the sweeper. I will need to get the grinder into the frame and then remake the stinger again to get around the swingarm. The chain seems to be stretching pretty badly as well but it might just be the new chain settling in. I've made a new chain guard for the top of the swingarm as well.

I'm impressed with this thing straight away. In places where I was tippy-toeing round on the old one, now I'm on the gas hard. The ripples do not upset it at all and even though I don't feel like I'm trying hard I can pull people back under brakes, and the rear is staying down as well. I'm comfortable on it as well which is nice for us old guys.

Had one little moment. I'd managed to sneak up the inside round the sweeper to the hairpin and not wanting to have the passee getting back past at the hairpin I gave it a big handful really early while still cranked right over. The back did a little slip and slide and that was about it.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Sounds good. Why riding it on a saturday? practise day perhaps? How did races go?

[edit] seen other thread. So did races?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information