Page 51 of 89 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: #6

Bike
    Several
    Great to see team Green/Shnanny up there.

Actually, just about to open a GP poll, what am I calling you lot?

You are going to need another bike for Cricket, he's outpacing B grade at a great rate! Not a bad issue to have!
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Here's hoping. Dave's bike is completely untouched from Edgecumbe and Gary's engine has a new balance shaft and bearing. I also took all the gearbox bearings out and found one that seemed to spin freely but with just a little resistance. I suspect one ball may not have been rotating freely possibly because of a bit of crap jamming it. Washed and cleaned but couldn't make it free so replaced. Also went up a couple of oversizes but sadly as usual ran out of time for planned mods. It should be making 23+hp as previously. Hopefully with a little drizzle at Tokoroa it'll keep making that for a whole race.
    We compared Cricket's power to weight ratio with Gary's. We'd need 32hp for Gary to keep up, either that or Gary needs to lose a leg(or two).
    Also, not bucket related but 2-stroke and of interest, I managed to have a look at a disassembled Martin jet pack V4. Very very nice with billet cases, billet crank and heads, and CR cylinders, flash forged pistons etc etc. Very cool bit of engineering. No photos obviously and I didn't even bother asking.

Bike
    Exercycle
    There are pics of the MAV4 on the ESE thread. I got given a couple and gave them to Husa who also found some more.
    yes, very nice - and as I've said elsewhere, RPM limited for airworthy certification. 5500 RPM I think.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    There are pics of the MAV4 on the ESE thread. I got given a couple and gave them to Husa who also found some more.
    yes, very nice - and as I've said elsewhere, RPM limited for airworthy certification. 5500 RPM I think.
    Pretty sure i never posted the inside pics for some reason.........
    Same as the RSA ones..........
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I have heard that some of their engines had a 2 minute life, must have fixed it since
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Finally got a moment to write a small report on the GP. Pretty much a mission on both days. Gary's fresh engine was trying to seize on Saturday every time he backed off. Found my flash new gasket sealant doesn't much like fuel and where I used it to seal one set of surfaces on the reed valve it was now leaking. Fixed that but it was still trying. Dave D lent us a bigger pilot jet which seemed to help but the damage was done. Sat night we pulled it apart and the piston and cylinder were given a good sanding with emery tape. We fitted one size up main jet as well, as the plug was looking "clean". Put it back together on Sunday morning in the rain and off the guys went. Video attached of the Tokoroa Cup looking rearwards with Cricket riding. The bike seemed to be going OK but at the end he reckoned something happened and he pulled off the track and dumped it. We got it fixed for the GP and Gary did a number of laps. Dave's bike seemed to be going OK and he cut some pretty quick times on Saturday but come the race it was off and he was having difficulty getting out of corners so parked it.
    As usual we had a good time camping. I was in bad at 8:11pm and it was still hard getting out of bed at 7am the next morning though once we'd had bacon and eggs and a coffee it was all good. Haven't looked at either bike yet. Seems to be a lack of enthusiasm plus I'm painting the inside of my garage at the moment.
    I'll post the video later, got some problem getting it small enough to post.

Got a new modem and the connection is faster than ever. Uploaded a downsized vid but if it doesn't turn out good will upload an original size copy and let youtube sort it out.

http://youtu.be/KUy-0lpYjgo
    Last edited by speedpro; 10th April 2015 at 13:07. Reason: video link

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR
    Good to have you lads at the GP as usual. Cricket looked like he was riding really strongly!
    I was wondering what was wrong with the bike when I passed Dave and Gary... that's not exactly normal to me haha. I was going to ask if the engines felt any noticeably stronger in the wet but it doesn't sound like they were running right enough to gauge.

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Cricket looked like he was riding really strongly!
    Wasn't he just, really smooth in the wet! The little bugger caused me to crash trying to keep up.
    Dave was on fire in Saturday practice, he must be pleased to have set the lap record.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Tokoroa Cup video uploaded here: http://youtu.be/KUy-0lpYjgo

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    What an awesome weekend at Mt Wgtn.

F4 A-grade saw 2Ts place 1-4 in race 1 with Dave Manwell 2nd and Gary 3rd. Manwell was on a mission but Nathaniel held him out for the win. Race 2 looked to be shaping for a repeat. Dave put a move on Nathaniel in the sweeper but Nathanial wasn't having any of it and shut the door on Dave good & proper with the result that Dave lost a lot of ground and spent a moment on the grass. I was flagging and saw Nathaniel go past with no Dave in pursuit and thought the worst, but Dave flew on past a moment later. It seemed that Nathaniel could pull a length or 2 on the straight but Dave made it all back in the sweeper by carrying some serious speed all the way. Running clockwise, exiting the infield onto the back straight he had it sliding sideways. Pretty impressive to watch. Nathaniel was caught back up in a couple of laps and the pressure put back on. Possibly he succumbed to that pressure, but whatever, he slid off on the infield a few laps later and his race was over. Gary was having a good tussle of his own but managed to hang on for 2nd. So race 2 has 2Ts in places 1-3. When I heard Dave had set a new lap record I thought it must have been in the 2nd race given how he seemed to be riding to catch Nathaniel but the time was from race 1.

Those Aprilia chassis are pretty good. Anyone who has ridden Dave's one really likes it and of course Tim's 50 goes round corners pretty good as well. Both of them are superb riders of course. Gary had his MB flying but he was definitely pushing the limits of a stock MB chassis even if it now has RS125 running gear. One moment exiting the back straight had him pull over to check the front wheel wasn't loose or jamming on something. The likely problem was that he was slightly off his usual line and ran over ripples which caused a bit of an upset.

Cricket was the only 2T in F4 B-grade riding Gary's MB100. He had a handy power-weight ratio and used it to advantage. Having said that he does seem to like diving up the inside of other riders at the end of the sweeper. He placed a fairly handy 5th in both races.

Gary had the camera on for the points races so hopefully we'll have video to post later.

No changes to either bike since Tokoroa. In fact they were put in the shed after Tok' and pulled out for this weekend. They are now back in the shed and will probably only get looked at when we pull them out for the next meeting, unless the new billet watercooled heads turn up. Really looking forward to getting hold of them as both bikes fade badly after a couple of laps at the moment.

Bike
    GPR150

Thumbs up

good stuff ! dave is riding well as normal

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Got a video going here http://youtu.be/wT4Oa5fBMqk

From the last practice day looking out the back of #3 with Gary riding. 1st race on full circuit going clockwise and then the next race on the oval.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Mr Wgtn 10/5 was a near perfect bucker racing day. Gary's bike seemed to be running pretty good despite just being put in the shed after the last meeting, again, and then being dragged out for this one. We were even using fuel he syphoned from Dave's bike from last meeting. The first little problem was a broken clutch cable which is probably a lesson about maintenance. Gary had a spare but the inner was too long to use. I fixed that by tying a knot in the inner where it extended to the engine. Bit ugly but it worked.

Then it stopped half way down the front straight. Pulled Gary's flash new Platinum plug, a B8HIEX or something, to find a nice new coat of aluminium. Fitted a new B9 and found the motor still had compression. Fired it up and it seemed OK but Gary had organised a ride on Blair's FXR. Cricket took it out and was a little cautious with an obviously damaged motor but when he did give it stick it seemed to still have pace. Only trouble is he didn't give it stick often enough and finished near the back of the field.

Expectation is a crater in the middle of the piston crown caused by a too hot plug. Time for a new piston and probably a way big pilot jet as I have bought a small range to try after suspicion that being lean on closed throttle was causing seizures. Hopefully it should then be all good as we seem to have sorted a small pile of problems.

I have also made some progress with the FZR twin. The exhaust manifold is fully welded, except one pipe which I need to fit up and confirm the turbo location. It's just tacked at the moment. Paid Kevin the kart guy to weld it and I must say he's done an awesome job. If anyone is looking for stuff to be done he is a tool maker by trade, has all the tools and is an all round good guy, and not bad at building stuff. Last thing to sort is oil and water to/from the turbo.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Turbo exhaust manifold nearly finished, just need to weld the final join before the turbo flange. You can see in the photos the TIG welding that Kevin has done. The Lambda sensor flange to the end can is particularly sexy welding. Turbo fits in exactly where I wanted it. I need to make oil lines in & out which shouldn't be a problem as the FZR has a banjo fitting at the front of the cases for the oil line to the head so I'll just double it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150512_183513.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	311761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150512_183531.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	311762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150512_183556.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	311763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150512_183609.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	311764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150512_183634.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	311765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150512_183646.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	311766  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Last four photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150512_184242.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	311767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150512_184337.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	311768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150512_184352.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	311769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150512_184405.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	311770  

Thread Information