Page 62 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: #6

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    Prototype up and running with a variable resistor in place of the load cell.

I had thought of something like that drill press but want to be able to measure the pressure without removing the engine
    True your way is far flasher too.
    More digital this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	778-66834.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	340842 https://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/66834/10002/-1
    I remember someone telling me how they set valve clearances in the production line with convention tappet adjusters not a feller gauge and spanner in sight.
    The B and D Drill press is very close to the old proper tool used for Shock springs
    although the new ones are a bit different
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0132-3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	365.9 KB 
ID:	340839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l300.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	340840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pro-66774_5_w_ml.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	340841
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Moving right along, I've been looking at generating a few amps. Only trouble was the only sensible way was to fit the standard alternator rotor. All good for making amps but there is the little problem of one of the 4 trigger teeth being a longer one. Word from the Link forum was that it would not work. Given the options I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I marked the rotor timing marks that you are supposed to look at through a little screw hole in the cover with white paint. I then cut a spare damaged cover so it held the sensor in position but so the white mark could be seen at any point in the rotation. This was done so I could see where the mark was when turning the motor after I reset the trigger to be a 4-tooth disc. Something called the "Trigger Offset" needed to be adjusted to align the timing marks. I got it in the ballpark and then for precision set the "Ref Timing" to 0' and made the final adjustments to line the TDC marks up when turning the motor using the ignition timing TDC mark. Put the plugs back in, fuel on, gave the back wheel a yank in 3rd gear and it fired up first time. It is not obvious that a change has been made which is perfect. The dyno will tell for sure of course.
    Now I just need to fit the pickup to the good sidecover and fit it with the generator stator. Once wired I'll have a nice supply of power and a workable trigger system.

Bit annoying to think of the time and cost of getting the trigger discs cut and fitted.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets

The Old No 6 kissing 30hp... and was eventually the first Bucket I know of to better the magic 30.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    To be sure the Link ECU works properly with the 4 teeth on the rotor the long tooth needs to be cut down to the same length as the other 3. I didn't really want to shorten the tooth without being able to balance the rotor. I also wanted to see how balanced the rotor was to start with. It only took most of the day but made the shaft pictured to fit the rotor onto. Dropped it on a couple of V blocks and the longer tooth went to the bottom. Turned the shaft 180' relative to the rotor to make sure it wasn't the shaft causing the result and the rotor stopped in exactly the same place repeatedly. The long tooth is clearly on the heavy side of the rotor. Pretty confident now to shorten the tooth and also have the rotor balanced better than standard.
    I understand there may be imbalances across the width of the rotor but I suspect it will be immaterial.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZR rotor and shaft1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	494.9 KB 
ID:	341315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZR rotor and shaft2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	509.0 KB 
ID:	341316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZR rotor and shaft3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	666.9 KB 
ID:	341317  

Bike
    husaberg
    An even smaller version
    https://minkara.carview.co.jp/search/?q=IHI+RHF25
    The little one the Cx500 and the kei class 660 cars was the 31
    looks like some Kei class and some Toyota Prius have these.

IHI RHF25 17201-B2061 [General information] The world's smallest and lightest-class turbocharger developed by IHI in 2008

Garret also do a little one now as well GT06
    http://turbochargerspecs.blogspot.co...rim-80-hp.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Found out something interesting when talking to Rob today. I've never been sure about how the teeth get on a rotor. Rob was saying the teeth are pressed from the inside of the rotor, obviously into a die up against the outside so the tooth assumes the desired shape. This might explain the imbalance if the rotor was balanced before the teeth were pressed which would mean it was also balanced before the magnets were installed. Hard to believe if it is true. I'm going to see if I can use the shaft to check the other rotors which have different tapers. If they are all heavy where the long tooth is, balancing before pressing is the only answer.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Amazing what having both days off in a weekend can do for your sense of wellbeing.
    I've shortened the long tooth using my high speed grinder and finished it with a file and emery tape. This changed the heavy side to the opposite. Drilled 3 holes on the outer face not on the perimeter, as per all 3 rotors that I have. The actual balance point moved about a bit so I was enlarging one hole and then another depending on which one was at the bottom. Finally a point 90' around indicated heavy but there was very little in it so I left it there. I now have it all wired up with proper connectors for the Yamaha pickup to the ECU wiring. The generator coils go to the reg/rec and the output of that goes direct to battery +ve which then goes to the main loom through a switch. I have also designated Aux1 output as a tacho output. The Link outputs a 12V pulse on tacho outputs for every ignition event. I'm not sure but it may end up going from reading 1/2 engine speed to 2X engine speed. We'll see. I'm sure there will be a configuration I can change to get it right. Obviously I enabled the tacho sweep at startup function.

Bike
    Exercycle
    What tacho are you using ? The stocker uses the ignitor side of one coil as a signal generator. Has it's own power supply and earth.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    What tacho are you using ? The stocker uses the ignitor side of one coil as a signal generator. Has it's own power supply and earth.
    Standard tacho. Of course with the direct fire ignition each coil is only firing half as often as there is no paired cylinder firing on the exhaust stroke and 360' later on it's compression stroke. Each coil only fires every 720'.

I tried to start it tonight but had no luck. I'll try reversing the trigger polarity tomorrow and give it another go. It sort of made a few noises but it's fairly easy to start now so i've got something wrong and the crank pickup polarity is the most likely thing.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Well that was a bit depressing. Tried to start it and there were a few noise like it wanted to but no luck. Quick test by swapping crank pickup leads over and it fired up but not a happy motor. Went over it last night and reasonably certain I had the wiring right to start with so put it back. Pulled off a few extra wires I had added and ready for a test tonight. After a bit of thought I'm hoping it's just the shortened tooth that has put the base timing out so will check that the next time my helper is available. On the Link support forum it was suggested a while back that the long tooth was going to cause problems as the timing is taken from the centre of the tooth.
    It did run OK with the long tooth although I never loaded it up, just free-running on the stands. I did think that it sounded slightly different to when I was using the 6-tooth trigger disc and maybe there was a timing difference cylinder to cylinder with the long tooth.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    All sorted. With the tooth shortened the timing retarded about 35'. No wonder it wasn't interested in running. I reset the base timing, put it back together, and it started about 3rd pull. It starts a lot easier with the fuel pump fuse in. Got the generator all plugged in and charging the lithium battery so can just take it wherever and fire it up. Probably time to put the turbo back on and get back to the dyno.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Thanks to rob for motivating me to go and have a play today. We messed with it a bit but there was a bunch of horsepower missing. Thinking about it on the way home I think the wastegate may have been stuck and when I put on the new turbo outlet pipe I may have disturbed it so it worked. We did heaps of runs tidying up the fuel and ignition anyway. As a final thing I had rob hold the wastgate closed with a screwdriver. Woohoo h horsepower is back, and then some. I had a few limits set in the "Engine Protection" area, revs at 14,000 and MAP to 1.4BAR. Upped the revs to 15,000 and the MAP to 2.0BAR and got the result in the attachment. I think the engine was still hitting a limit, possibly RPM but maybe MAP as well. Both shot up quickish at the end of a run and then stopped.

I think Rob and I both got a good dose of exhaust fumes. The wife certainly was not impressed with how I smelled when I got home.

Pretty happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Magician_2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	623.3 KB 
ID:	342642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30hp fourstroke Bucket_2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	675.5 KB 
ID:	342641  

Bike
    Exercycle
    Have you any way of tracking boost against RPM ? The power curve suggests boost is late arriving.

Been talking to a rally team locally who run a couple of AP4 cars - and finding out how they tailor the curve.
    They're limited in total boost - and rpm - so the widest spread is desirable. Odd cam timings to achieve it too.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Nice progress Mike.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Looking over the log file there is a real limit with the current injectors. I have less than the recommended minimum injector pulsewidth at 3000rpm and it is a bit rich. At 15,000rpm+ and with boost, the ECU is trying for 10.18ms pulsewidth but there is only 7.5ms(@16,000rpm) available time for a complete cycle. The lambda reading leans out as the revs and boost rises. Manifold pressure peaked at 2.3BAR absolute or about 19lbs boost. Looks like staged injection is required unless I run it RICH at low rpm. Something else to try. I'll post a graph of boost, rpm, throttle once I figure how to take a snapshot of the screen

Thread Information