Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1656646566
Results 976 to 980 of 980

Thread: #6

  1. #976
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,890
    What are the turbo specs & what was it lifted from?
    I put an IHI RHB51 off a Honda City on a R100rs BMW many years ago.

  2. #977
    Join Date
    12th February 2004 - 10:29
    Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Location
    Henderson, Waitakere
    Posts
    3,861
    RHB51? - monster turbo.

    This one is an IHI RHB31A from a Suzuki Cappucino, I think. I've got a supercharger from an aftermarket kit for one as well

  3. #978
    Join Date
    12th February 2004 - 10:29
    Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Location
    Henderson, Waitakere
    Posts
    3,861
    After much pondering of my pile of bits I've decided to use the 2KR bottom crankcase half as it is already modified, a 3LN top crankcase half as it has the underskirt oilers, and probably a piece of 3LN crank to replace the 2KR piece. I was surprised how much was different between the 2 crankshaft models, see photo below. Measuring the crank journals it is interesting the differences between crankshafts. Each crankshaft has more or less the same diameter journals but between cranks it varies a bit. One crank big end journal also seem so have a taper across it's width.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZR cranks.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	845.8 KB 
ID:	344611  

  4. #979
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    5,007
    Are you going to keep the extra piece of crank past the camchain sprocket ?

    I did a lot of hand finishing of oil gallery holes on my crank. The angled drillings on the mains in particular need radiusing - badly.
    This was then finished up with a linish by a reconditioner mate.

    Good to see some decisions being made - that's always the hard bit, LOL.
    Mine's on the point of being ridden.

  5. #980
    Join Date
    12th February 2004 - 10:29
    Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Location
    Henderson, Waitakere
    Posts
    3,861
    More measuring and test fitting been going on. I have to use matched top & bottom crankcase halves. Odd pairs cause the crank to bind when the bolts are torqued up.
    I've measured a pile of rods. There is a bit of variation between models of rod. Rods with a C on them are all very similar length. Those with a D the same, and so on. Cs, Ds, and others are all slightly different lengths. I will be using a new pair or rods as the old ones were 2KR short rods combined with 2KR pistons.
    I've also measured every piston I have. I can't see identifying marks on the pistons but slight differences in the finish of the castings suggest different batches. Again, pistons within a batch are all very similar size, and the different batches are slightly different.
    I've decided to be lazy and simply replace the damaged sleeve, maybe both, and just need to measure the sleeves to find a pair that match pistons I decide to use. I've got a telescopic gauge to measure the bores which I then measure with the micrometer. I can be reasonably consistent with the measurements but I'm not satisfied just yet. I might just go with a "go/no-go" type system first and then actually measure the smaller bores. Interestingly it doesn't look like there is much wear in the bores/pistons.
    I have also cleaned the cylinder heads to help with checking them out. I just hose them afterwards and then blow the majority of the water off using a duster gun. Very interesting how many bubbles come form the valves when blowing air up the ports.

    After going over so many parts with a micrometer I can see how people are able to build a better engine just using standard parts.

    I received LiPo batteries from China month or so back and the fancy charger a few weeks back. I've cycled the batteries a few times like they suggest and the batteries all picked up capacity after cycling. I got 2 types, 3 cell(3S) and 4 cell(4S). The 3S batteries are rated at 11.1V and the 4S batteries are rated at 14.8V. Both are higher voltage when charged and the 11.1 is over 12V so perfect for a bucket. The 4S might be a bit high voltage so I might put a diode or two in series and see. Each cell in each battery is rated at 3.7V but is fully charged at 4.2V.

    I also have an original powerblade lithium battery. The charger knows about these LiFe batteries and happily charged it to the recommended voltage and also discharged it to the minimum voltage. It monitors power applied which was a smidge over 2200mAH. With this charger you can charge/discharge batteries to the optimum voltage for storage, so they are now all stacked on the shelf at the recommended voltage for each battery. For $23 the charger seems to cover every common option, NiMH, Pb, Li(3 types), and another one I don't recall.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •