Page 75 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1326

Thread: #6

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100

boost control

I have been looking at wastegate control. I was hoping to use the ECU in closed loop mode which would have been complex to configure but would have meant precise control. Unfortunately it seems the base model ECU I have can't do closed loop but is limited to open loop. In the configuration help file it seems to control the wastegate on a throttle position versus rpm basis with no account of the actual boost value. I emailed David from Tune Technic who I bought the ECU from and he came back with a suggestion to put Manifold Gauge Pressure(MGP) on one table axis and RPM on the other. The table values are the amount the wastegate is opened effectively. To me this makes it more or less closed loop. Values are entered in the table below the desired boost that result in the wastegate remaining closed. As boost approaches the desired value the table entries result in the wastegate progressively opening. The boost control solenoid has a pulse width modulated(PWM) signal applied which opens a bypass valve an amount depending on the pulse width. Failsafe mode is fully open which will pass manifold pressure to the wastegate without restriction. I can see this working really well with the wastegate closed until boost closely approaches the desired value. This will assist with spool up. I know with my big bike that this can really help. With boost on the big bike set to 12lb the turbo spooled up a bit slower from about 8lb. With the wastegate set for 19lbs boost the turbo spooled up to 14-15lbs really quickly as the wastegate was completely closed until then. Fun day at Taupo running 19lbs boost. The front wheel would not stay on the ground over 6000rpm in any gear.

Bike
    husaberg
    I always wondered what Ryan Martin and Justin Shearer was talking about when he wanted to check the CO2
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I went through all the MB100 bits I have. It's reasonably obvious that MB100 rods have a fault. You can see from the 2 rods in the photo that they have both failed more or less exactly the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rods.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	349618  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I have another bin full of gearboxes and clutches plus a couple of pipes in other places and a 34mm carb plus a 36mm carb on the shelf. Sort of wondering what to do with it all.

Some of these bits belong to Gary Cunningham.

Name:	pipe1.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	427.6 KB 
ID:	349619   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bits2.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	439.4 KB 
ID:	349620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bits1.JPG 
Size:	482.5 KB 
ID:	349621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pistons.JPG 
Size:	423.1 KB 
ID:	349622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe3.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	427.8 KB 
ID:	349623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe2.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	416.6 KB 
ID:	349624  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ooh, he is hard on gear.

I snapped a rod when my foray into yz100 pistons using adapters failed and a couple of crank pins with steps. But that was it. Was getting no where near 13,000 though.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Several
    If you want to get rid of any of that, I'd be keen to buy some stuff.
    I'd expect I'd actually use it eventually, or set someone else up to do so.

My main focus now is Dave's 100 and I'm sorted for that for years but have a few slow builds for learner club bike stuff ticking along too.

I have a Derbi made from Gary's old stuff.
    That goes (really good!) Just needs a pipe of it's own (I've cut up a kart pipe to start with but it's a bit wrong).
    I've got all the stuff to build another one too but will probably hand those off to someone to build up.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    I went through all the MB100 bits I have. It's reasonably obvious that MB100 rods have a fault. You can see from the 2 rods in the photo that they have both failed more or less exactly the same.
    That is really interesting!

I've not had any failures like that but also probably less revs, 12500 over rev for the red bike that I've done most of the time on.
    That's using standard pistons still so built to suit the big thick rings.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    The Track & Trace on the new stator has been saying it left China for over a month and no further progress. It arrived this morning

Bike
    husaberg
    Read something interesting the other day in an old old classic mechanics of the 1980s
    it was honda admitting they f-ed up the stator side bearing on the MB5 It miust have been sht as bearing mind i am pretty sure their version was a weak as piss restricted 30mph.
    turns out they clearances it wrong from the factory it don't even think it was a proper c3 makes me now wonder if it was the same on the H100 and MB100
    I killed at least two with factory bearings.
    I killed one and a stator at the Last Wigram where you won.
    My son wants to go racing i seen a MB100 for sale the other day i was almost tempted.
    But fuk supersport 300 is likely more fun less fetiler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I killed several big ends because I was on a budget and kept finding $70 engines that had been sitting. Of course 2 would have paid for a rodkit and labour to press a crank.

When I finally did I got a Longrod kit. Mike will tell you happened. The Honda rod was the same price as the kit and another $25 bought the bearings and washers.

Slow learner.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Standard MB100 piston and ring in my sidecar was good for 14,000rpm. On the dyno it revved to 14K all the time. Originally it lasted 6 years and saw plenty of racing. Every now and again if you pushed it a bit a tip would fall off the ring. I only used one ring. Pretty sure original MB100 main bearings were C2 clearance. I always replaced them with C3 and went to C4 on the good motor.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    And yet the MB50 once you hit 12,000 a few times would lose a ringtip and fall right off power straight away.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Woohoo! New stator arrived from China. After a bit of fiddling it has been fitted and is generating electricity.
    I made a little video about the stator and balancing the rotor after the long tooth was reduced in length. As per the old 2KR rotor this newer 3LN rotor was out of balance before I modified it and modification made it worse.
    I have also converted the cooling system from the mechanical water pump to an electric pump the same as in my scooter. It's a Davies Craig EBP15 made by Bosch. There's a little video about that as well. The whole cooling setup is a lot tidier now and doesn't have the pipe from the pump sticking out the side acting as crash protection. there's also a small video(with sound) about the cooling system.

Alternator video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7_gwmGjHGs

Name:	Water2 small.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	349803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pump9 small.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	349804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0730.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	349805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0692.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	349806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water3 small.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	349807  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Big change for today. The FZR frame I got from ESE is not needed by Kevin as his involvement with the 1/4 midget is ending and there will be no need to dyno that engine. I've decided to put an MB100 engine in it and have it as a spare for anyone to ride. I have all the bits and just need to put it together. As part of that process I have a bit of machining to do. Due to changes in stroke, rod length, and piston height I need to take something like 3.6mm off the base of the cylinder. I squared up the top of the cylinder as well which was a tiny bit off. The photo is of Kevin's adjustable mandrel in his lathe. The shaft has slots cut which have varying depth from one end to the other. In each slot is a wedge with a similar taper which makes the outer face of each wedge parallel with the length of the mandrel. There's a collar at each end that is used to push the wedges back and forth in the slot which has the effect of varying the diameter. Soooo easy to use. Jam it in the lathe, slide the cylinder on, tighten one collar until the cylinder is wedged tight, and nip the other collar up. It sticks out a way so I put a centre up it as well. Perfectly square every time and no setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0766.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	338.6 KB 
ID:	349831

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I'm making a bit more progress towards putting an MB100 engine together. It shouldn't be surprising that there is a bit of work to do before an engine can be assembled from parts I have lying about. I'm not being too serious about this build, I just want an engine that is reliable for the spare bucket I'm building that other people can take for a ride. Having said that it will be asembled properly with squish clearance set correctly, and so on. One thing that is required is to relocate the head properly so that the combustion chamber and squish are centred on the bore which it isn't at the moment. Small video, part 1 - https://youtu.be/l3tlupvNCk8.

Thread Information