Page 81 of 89 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1326

Thread: #6

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Then again she asked me when we were staying like almost 20 years ago why young guys like me did racing as you and Jimmy were a lot older.

I mean, she had a point.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    . . . . you and Jimmy were a lot older.
    and faster

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    It's a bit "busy" on the left now. I'm going to angle the airfilter up and back a bit to clear the electric water pump, for the moment. My plan is now to make a new as short as possible exhaust manifold and mount the turbo right in front of the exhaust ports. A lot more heat and energy will be retained in the exhaust gas that way.
    It will also tidy up the plumbing a whole lot. I'll get it going first with all the stuff I already have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1358.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	351383  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Sometimes I'm not sure how to make something and start off figuring it out with a basic drawing. This is for the new turbo exhaust manifold. I'd found what size u-bend that was the closest to what I needed and of course I had the size above and size below what I wanted. I was getting my mate Kev to weld the air filter mounting flange and he mentioned that the place over the road had mandrel bends. I popped over to check it out but the guys were saying no they didn't, but . . . . . they had these other little pipes in black steel. They were OK but a bit too solid. However these little SS pieces are basically what I drew so were a bit too hard not to buy. I was considering stainless steel and these kicked that idea over the line.
    Nice little winner to end a cold wet miserable day.

Name:	IMG_1359.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	351408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1360.JPG 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	351409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1361.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	351410  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Had a productive couple of hours spinning up a couple of exhaust spigots for the new turbo manifold. I still need to sort out a few things like whether to weld the mounting flanges to the pipes or not. I'm currently leaning toward welding as it will provide another layer of support. I finally got around to removing the turbo from the bike to measure the inlet. It's way smaller than the gasket so lucky I did.

Name:	IMG_1368.JPG 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	351421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1369.JPG 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	351422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1372.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	351423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1367.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	351424  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    How to assemble the pipes to the bosses and flanges.

I'm thinking the idea is to weld the pipe direct to the boss. I'll need to make a simple jig to line the pipe up on the boss but that's easy.
    Then the flange can be slid down, the pipe oriented at the correct angle to meet up with the other pipe, and the flange then welded to the pipe. I might also weld the flange to the boss on the other side. This should make a reasonably secure structure once welded to the other pipe.
    Where the pipes come together and the turbo is mounted, the 2 pipes with an ID of 28mm will be machined with flats where they join together. Slightly more than 1/2 the diameter will need to be removed and then once welded together the end will have to be made round and hopefully have an ID matching the turbine inlet of about 24mm. A slight adjustment could be made using the flange. I don't think it's critical as the turbine housing inlet is as-cast and not particularly round. Something close would be good though.

I 3D printed a flange so I can get a better idea of how it goes together

Name:	IMG_1374.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	351429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1375.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	351430  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    A bit more progress on the turbo exhaust manifold. In the end I didn't need a guide to centre the pipe on the boss. Instead I made the boss as I had drawn it with a recess that the pipe fits into. I dropped over to Kev's place last night to chat about how this was going to be assembled. In the end Kev machined the taper in the boss, 26mm-28mm, and then the recess. After tacking each pipe to a boss we then jigged it up on the bench and scribed the cut lines. If I had cut it in the mill instead of with a cutoff disc in the grinder it would have been spot on.

The good thing is that cutting the pipe so that the 2 halves fit together leaves the exit a bit small so I'll have to cut it back till the size is correct. Giving it a quick eyeball the turbo was going to be a bit close to the front wheel but there is a couple of things I can do if required.

Name:	IMG_1378.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	351438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo ex boss.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	351439  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Got a bit more done over the weekend. Kev gave me a piece of aluminium. In the lathe I faced off the top and bottom so they were flat and parallel and spun the exterior to clean it up so I could get a good reference off it. Drilled a 10mm hole through the middle to clamp it on the mill. It was then clamped down on the mill, clocked up to locate the centre and then offset in the X axis to the distance for the flange bolts which I then spotted. Took it over to the drill press and drilled and tapped the mounting holes. Once that was done I mounted the first flange on the alloy and mounted it in the lathe. I drilled the centre hole using a big drill and then bored it out to the desired size. I actually went up .25mm in size to get it over the pipes. The 2nd flange was simply a repeat. The good thing is that now I have the alloy boss I can easily make more flanges with good accuracy. The pipes need a bit more taken off the ends where the turbo mounts. It looks like it's OK but until there is a slight gap it's hard to tell if the pipes are under any stress. Pretty happy with how it's coming along.

I have decided to get my own machine tools. A good friend gave me his drill mill which I have used previously a very long time ago. I'm still looking for a lathe. The mill is 3phase and I've decided to go with a rotary phase converter so a 3phase lathe is fine as well. It turns out that I could get a 240v 32amp supply to the garage. I very much doubt I'll need anything like that, but it's nice to know.

Name:	IMG_1397.JPG 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	351512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1396.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	351513  

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Update. Change of plan with the rotary converter. The motor on the drillmill is only 1hp although it is 3ph, so I'm going with a simple(cheap) 1ph to 3ph VFD. I'm hoping I'll be able to retain the 2 speed on the mill as it simply switches the motor from 2-4 pole. The VFD will be used to start/stop the mill.

The Argon Arc lighting system I bought has a small 15A plug. Basically a standard 240V 10A connector but with a larger earth pin. With the wiring kitset there is an industrial style 15A outlet and plug. I'll definitely install the outlet but may not bother using it just at the moment. A smaller residential style 15A outlet will be sufficient I think as that's what the welder has fitted although it does say that the maximum input current is 22A

I have a large 240V 32A switch and socket which i thought might be needed for the mill but it seems it's only purpose may be in the future "if" we ever go with an electric vehicle.

The other toy is due mid-month so it's all a bit exciting.

Reassembling the drillmill is looking like a bit of a challenge. The problem is that it's a bit hefty. It got moved with a forklift and a crane was used while we dismantled it and loaded it on my trailer.

Name:	drillmill - Copy.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	351751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welder - Copy.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	351752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welder&wire - Copy.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	351753  

Bike
    Exercycle
    Hire or borrow an engine hoist. They're on wheels and can go up quite high.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    An engine hoist does look to be the answer.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Assembled and more or less where it will probably end up. There's a bit to do before it can be used, like getting power to it, and I need to check the setup.

Name:	at home.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	351758  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Great stuff. I convinced work we needed one over 20 years ago that looked very similar in size and construction. If they ever make me redundant I'll be angling for it.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I've been a bit lazy. Various bits have arrived from China about 2-3 weeks after ordering which I am pretty happy with. I now have a collection of ER32 collets and associated collet chuck, and a boring head which supposedly goes to 2"/52mm. I think if the boring bars are put in the end rather than sticking out the bottom it might just be able to bore a cylinder the size of Gary's bucket. I also ordered a collection of tool steel cutters. Probably not so great for cutting steel but just fine for aluminium. I got a VFD/VSD as well to run the mill. That will need a bit of wiring and I want a "kill" button somewhere handy as well but the electrician wiring the rest of the garage can sort that out.

I had a plan to visit Edgecombe on Friday but the weather was crap so I didn't bother driving down. Cricket and I still went to Hamilton to visit Boyd Motorcycles to collect a new slick. Had a quick chat with Aaron Gullery who works in the parts department. He's an ex bucket racer from a few years ago and also ran an RS125 for a short time. I haven't seen him for a very long time. Aaron is a real decent sort as was his Dad, Charlie(RIP).

I have the MB powered bucket ready on the trailer for HD tomorrow. Cricket is riding it. I'm really looking forward to it. Just a shame that the FZR twin is not really ready for a race day. That was one reason I was keen to go to Edgecombe, to get a bit of low pressure time running the bike and to gather data for tuning.

I also had a thought about going to Edgecombe on Monday. You can do that when you are old and retired. What I forgot was that a new toy is being delivered Monday morning which I need to be here to organize. There's going to be no excuses for not sorting out my rolling road and anything else that needs to be fabricated.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Charlie was super keen. He seemed to enjoy his life so I hope that continued.

Thread Information