Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    if you look at the classes now, their is a a few option for young riders
    125gp
    formula 3
    Pro twins,
    Or even Motard (stop the hating people)
    reasonably competitve bikes for these classes for well under 10K,

i am not sure if a brand new class would take off quicker enough
    Maybee there is another problem that people are not thinking about. Its not the fact that there are not enough classes for people to start in, but there are to many.

A small pool of riders spreed over a number a fields results in a watering down of the talent pool and the xcitment. Just a thought.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Mmmmm- scorpio 225 racing.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Maybee there is another problem that people are not thinking about. Its not the fact that there are not enough classes for people to start in, but there are to many.

A small pool of riders spreed over a number a fields results in a watering down of the talent pool and the xcitment. Just a thought.

very good call,

when i first started to go and watch road racing 250 proddy was the only real way to get in, so big feilds were the norm,

Bike
    BMW
    That $12k bikes sounds like a bargain for a full set up bike, thats about the average price of a motocross bike and the mx bike will be rooted in 6 months! I reakon there needs to be something for minis like road racing ktm65s and to try get all the kart clubs to run some meetings, i have friends that would love to get there lil kids into it that are currently racing mx into road racing

Bike
    TZFXR150, R1150GS, DRZ400, Ninja300 prod
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
    My opinion, I'm not exactly convinced that the lack of new racers is due to an absence of a suitable class. F3, 125GP, streetstock, Bucket racing is about as cheap and accessible as it gets. The problem to me seems to be a lack of interest in motorcycling overall and I don't see how yet another different class with different rules will change this.

I agree Hoon, South Island meets get 30-40 S/S riders and the same number of F4 riders at the bigger bucket meets.......I think we need to look at looking after the young riders, not look for a new class......Oyster down here drive's the S/S bus and plenty are on board I think another class may water down a already struggling sport.

Its harder to lose weight than gain horsepower.

Bike
    Honda CBR600RR9
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    I am under the impression that Moriwaki has released their MD250R (or something like that) which is essentially a GP125 frame with a 250 four stroke dirt bike based engine in it. They are around $12k out of the box ready to race. It's apparently the future of the MotoGP support classes so why not get into it now and build up some NZ talent for the world stage.

Rules for the class?

No mods on the bikes, just different tyres and suspension changes?

Or even better get a tyre manufacturer behind it and make it so its more about bike setup and just riding the damn things.

isn't this basically the same (albeit slightly slower) as going to the 125 class anyway? except if an engine shat it self you are looking at alot of money as opposed to less money in the 125s?
    you can pick up a 125 or F3 bike for well under $12k

Bike
    YZ250F, KTM525SM, Bandit1200
    Supermotard on RR circuits?

Cheapish to buy, very cheap to crash.

(Trail rides, MX on your other wheels)

Thread Information