Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Internal University Parking

Bike
    1986 Honda GB 400F
    Quote Originally Posted by jono035 View Post
    That change is a bit of a bastard, means I've got to park in that dark little hole again which means either a U-turn or illegal right hand turn out onto symonds street to get home... Bah.
    Ya and the road works atm mean there's a raised ridge along the centre of the road up there, so you can't even illegally turn right anymore. U-turns it is.

Bike
    VFR400 NC30 "Silver Surfer"
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae View Post
    Ya and the road works atm mean there's a raised ridge along the centre of the road up there, so you can't even illegally turn right anymore. U-turns it is.
    I got ticketed for that illegal right turn so I'm over that approach, anyway

Bike
    THE XS is GONE, long live the across
    Blog Entries
    I got ticketed for that illegal right turn so I'm over that approach, anyway
    That sucks. Thats also the way I get down to my mates place at AUT, had to use the sidewalk instead (being careful to do it when no pedestrians anywhere in the way).

Also, unisafe has been orange stickering things, gotten 2 that i remember, if not 3, for my parking spot (always checked too, such that i wasn't in the way or a problem in any way). Also saw some guy writing something down wearing unisafe looking at one of the bikes on that 'verge' bit next to the gutter, directly ahead as you come in from princes street. That bit thats got a curb that people go up to park on.

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by Folcan View Post
    There was some fun to be had this morning... In CP36 there was a unisafe??? I assume guy telling everyone who wasn't parking in the marked motorcycle parking that they won't be allowed to park there anymore. So I think there will be lots of yellow stickers are on the horzion haha
    yes, there has been a sudden interest in what has otherwise been pretty incident free parking from what i've seen.

Funny how it has all occurred since that little revving session a few days ago where a certain 400, 1000 and 600 were all getting a rev while a certain 100 was trying to clear it's poor little exhaust of oil - when I pootled off down teh carpark, just around the corner was an old dinousaur of a woman (therefore very high up in the university pecking order) with an expression suggesting she had just ate an entire lemon.

so, i'm not surprised. all the blue smoke probably didn't help, but a bit of harmless noise for all of a minute while some elderly academic is around and we're all getting fucked for no clear reason apart from their being a prick.

Not to worry! auckland city council provide free parking... sure it's half what it was two years ago and the police couldn't care less about teh thefts but hey, it's there isn't it? not enough? just park in OGG - but remember to get your bike back before the place locks up while you're sitting that test, and prepare for a hot walk if you use a locker for all your gear cause it's all uphill from there!

also doesn't help that the ninja rider parking by the bank and the vespa rider parking at the base of the stairs into shads couldn't care less. vespa riders are clearly ultra cool rebels

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    That'd be right, theres still a couple of dicks coming in from symonds st and parking in the way...
    caught one of them the other day when it was raining - apparently the 30-odd seconds saved by going through the walkway would prevent him from being saturated by the downpour outside. worst excuse ever, especially when i'm standing there in full wet weather gear having just decided to leave later in the day once the rain had eased.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    Funny how it has all occurred since that little revving session a few days ago where a certain 400, 1000 and 600 were all getting a rev while a certain 100 was trying to clear it's poor little exhaust of oil...
    The 400 may or may not have had a mighty exhaust leak, as well...

Oh well, back to parking in the far less convenient place around the corner... Got blocked in really blatantly by a scooter that was chained to a railing... Luckily the chain was long enough that I could pick the thing up and wedge it into a corner out of the way, otherwise I would have been tempted to just remove its wheel to move it...

Edit: There may have also been an airhorn demonstration happening, as well...

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    That change is a bit of a bastard, means I've got to park in that dark little hole again which means either a U-turn or illegal right hand turn out onto symonds street to get home... Bah.
    Wait wait, what? Right turn into Symond's St illegal? ut I do that all the time. Right turn from where? Since when? Says who?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Wait wait, what? Right turn into Symond's St illegal? ut I do that all the time. Right turn from where? Since when? Says who?
    Google Streetview

Right turn onto Symonds St from Princes St via the access road running parallel to Wellesley St. It's been illegal since at least 9 months ago when I went back to uni. Illegal according to the markings on the road, the signpost on the intersection itself and the cop who wrote me the ticket who reminded me of the last 2 points.

They seem to be making it progressively more difficult to navigate around the CBD. I started parking in CP36 because the only way to get onto Symonds St (to take advantage of the bus lanes) from where I parked under the ECE department was to turn right at that intersection or do a U-turn on Symond St, which is over double yellows and within range of a traffic-light pedestrian crossing or intersections. The only other options are find somewhere else to U-turn (not a lot of great options), go back via Queen St (shudder) or up Grafton Rd (not a wonderful option, all told...).

Bike
    But but but - You NEED to turn right there . Well, maybe you don't but I do. Cos you (I mena me, uh I) can't ride down Alfred ST now (another ballsup). So how am I (uh, you, as in anyone) supposed to get onto the Southern?

I ain't never seen no signs. I can't be having with signs at my time of life.

I guess maybe I can ride up the footpath (there's no sign about that , right?) to Wakefield St, I'm sure I can do a right turn there.
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    But but but - You NEED to turn right there . Well, maybe you don't but I do. Cos you (I mena me, uh I) can't ride down Alfred ST now (another ballsup). So how am I (uh, you, as in anyone) supposed to get onto the Southern?

I ain't never seen no signs. I can't be having with signs at my time of life.

I guess maybe I can ride up the footpath (there's no sign about that , right?) to Wakefield St, I'm sure I can do a right turn there.
    Uhhh, a legal left turn from that intersection can get you onto the southern... Unless you're taking the piss and I'm being dense...

Bike
    Well a left turn from ANY intersection will eventually get you to the Southern .But if you turn left you then have to turn right down Wozzaname hill into Grafton rd and through that perverted intersection and the arsehole onramp. That's a shit route I don't go that way. So I need to turn right for the onramp at Grafton Bridge . I can't be having with left turns at my time of life

Bike
    Well a left turn from ANY intersection will eventually get you to the Southern .But if you turn left you then have to turn right down Wozzaname hill into Grafton rd and through that perverted intersection and the arsehole onramp. That's a shit route I don't go that way. So I need to turn right for the onramp at Grafton Bridge . I can't be having with left turns at my time of life
    Ahhh, I getcha. Just watch out for new model holdens in your mirrors... Mufti was sitting right behind me when I pulled out and he found the thing quite amusing. Worst $150 I've ever spent...

Bike
    '08 DR650
    They seem to be making it progressively more difficult to navigate around the CBD.
    Its a no right turn thanks to the number of near misses imo... The pedestrian mall / bus runway? is the real cockup

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    Its a no right turn thanks to the number of near misses imo... The pedestrian mall / bus runway? is the real cockup
    I think it's more likely that it's due to the difficulty of actually turning right in a car during busy times and those people holding everyone up which is mostly due to its proximity to the lights there...

Bike
    Too many to count
    But but but - You NEED to turn right there .
    we're meant ride all the way down princes, turn right into waterloo, the right again and go all the way back up symonds.

or turn left and run the red to turn right becuase it's past midnight and there's not a car in sight to justify the 5 minute wait, ride slowly up to the lights on grafton as the sensor is placed waaay up by the ogg parking lights so you don't have to stop, then use the "bastard" onramp and use the truck lane.

or just give a squirt and use the plastic barrier thing to literally jump into the queue of traffic

if they were serious about pedestrian safety and illegal u-turns (ie road safety) they'd put up a fence like they have on great south road

Bike
    2009, Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Is parking under the quad/ inbetween science building and shadows still the best place for covered bike parking? Planning on beggining to ride in from tomorrow and don't really want my bike out in the sun all day

Thread Information