Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Internal University Parking

Bike
    Phurball's Mountain Bike and CB900
    im sorry to be a downer guys but looking at the bigger picture, we have trouble finding spots NOW even with parking on symonds st.....imagine what's going to happen when symonds st goes.....and with how anal the fucking paking wardens are being, i cant see a compromise happening.....

great work on both accounts squiggles.....its a good thing we made a hardy bastard with the know how and intiative club president
    "Rock is dead" - Jim Morrison

Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel

Bike
    Too many to count
    what about the grass bit between engineering and the footpath?

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    Im splitting the other thread into 2, this one will relate to internal parking, the other to the symonds st / buslane plan
    see, i very nearly did the same thing this morning but decided to let it up to you as you have mod rights...

so now i've gotten the ball rolling, i'll back off and follow you rather than us stepping on each other's toes. I told whats-his-face that you'll be meeting tomorrow and to correspond through you rather than me

awaiting orders! (actually i might be going to hamilton tomorrow)

Quote Originally Posted by me and whatshisface
    Sent: 13 March 2008 10:30
    To: Earl Wyatt
    Subject: Motorcycles/Scooter parking on campus

Hi,

I'm an engineering student emailing on behalf of the UofA Scooter and Motorcycle Club (SMC), with queries about the parking notices being issued to motorcycles and scooters parked on campus rather than out on Symonds Street. I would have called but after a long string of answering machines it seems email is the best way to go to get a meaningful response.

The response among the SMC and the student body in general towards the parking towing signs and unisafe "tickets" has been entirely negative. The reason for this is largely because we do not understand why they have been put up:

1. Why are bikes not allowed to park under the commons if they do not interfere with the car parking?
    2. Why are bikes not allowed to park on the gravel on Grafton Rd near the new commerce buildings?
    3. Has there been any complaints that should be forwarded to the SMC?
    4. Why are pedal bikes allowed to park wherever they so please?
    5. Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to a shortage of parking on symonds st?
    6. Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to ongoing thefts of the more valuable motorcycles from symonds st?
    7. Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to the frequency of "near misses" where students trying to negotiate into a tight parking slot find themselves caught by a wave of traffic?
    8. Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to the frequency of "near misses" where students trying to negotiate out of a parking spot cannot see traffic (and vice versa) due to the trees blocking everyone's view?
    9. Is it not in the best interests of the university to ensure that it's students are not financially crippled by theft?
    10. Is it not in the best interests of the university to ensure that it's students are not physically crippled by an avoidable accident?

I see that the "no parking" signs have been removed within several hours of their placement. If one of our club members are responsible we do apologise, and are stressing to our members that no member takes any drastic action while we get to the bottom of this - unfortunately the law students among us have made the point that you cannot tow a vehicle if the no parking sign was not present at the time of their parking there, and the common perception is that provided a vehicle is not actually blocking pedestrian traffic, there should be no issue with parking there.

We are aware that Symonds st parking is not the university's property, and are not asking for you to chase that up, but are simply enquiring as to why the university is taking such an unreasonable approach to motorcycles parking on campus; It seems that, with the apparent loss of parking on Symonds st due to take place over the easter break and rising petrol prices further increasing the number of motorcycles/scooters, parking on campus will become more common and should really be resolved sooner rather than later.

Thankyou for your time and cooperation

Andrew Petty - apet067

SMC Comittee

To: Andrew
    Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:14 PM
    Subject: RE: Motorcycles/Scooter parking on campus

Hello Andrew,

Firstly I am acknowledging receipt of your email, however I cannot answer all your questions straight now.

One point however is that the current parking of motor cycles and scooters in Symonds St outside the Rec Centre will remain as is.

I am meeting David Bo, AUSA tomorrow, where I am looking at some options.

CP36 has become hazardous on the pedestrian walkways with motor cycles parked or riding, and those are the only motor cycles that are being targeted, however I understand that other motor cycles that are not offending might have received notices.

I will get back to you further .

regards

Earl Wyatt
    Security & Custodial Services Manager
    Property Services
    The University of Auckland
    Phone 064 09 373 7599 ext. 87642
    Mobile 021 937961, University fast dial 64214

My reply:

thank you, the SMC is currently on a bit of a campaign to secure parking. while the university does assure us that there will be no loss of parking this easter, the council is yet to get back to us, we still have not been able to contact the development manager, and the publicly available plans show only 40m of parking total on symonds street; compared to the current 150m this isn't acceptable. not your problem we know, and trust me i do hope that we have misinterpreted the plans.

I believe you will be meeting the SMC president stephen and the AUSA president David, so i'll let you continue to correspond with stephen, though answers to those questions (or atleast the first thee) would be nice

thanks
    i do like to ask hard questions... just some could call them "scathing", "unfair", and often don't encourage total co-operation.... should have atleast gotten the asshat who ticketed us in trouble though

Bike
    MC19
    Probably a stupid question, but what is CP36?

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850
    Alright well this is the only bit of parking off-street I know, don't steal my spot!!! Fits about 8-10 bikes, damn scooters have found it and are taking up all the space now though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parking%20Map.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	491.9 KB 
ID:	89150  

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by shingo View Post
    i assume it's the area under the commons

Bike
    Too many to count
    what's the outcome of the meeting?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterer View Post
    Along with the above possible problems - today a security guard gave everybike parked under the quad a 'ticket' for parking on the footpath saying that number plate has been recorded and that a tow truck may be called......

There goes another 30-50 parks......
    Is not the quad the area that used to be called the Student Union? Near where the Maidment Theatre is now? Used to be a grassy knoll where the orators held forth at lunch time. The reason I ask is that this area , the Student Union buildings and the grass knoll used, at any rate, to actually belong to the Student Union, not the University. I know this because it was very extensively investigated when the police wanted the University to forbid Tim Shadbolt from preaching revolution on the knoll. Turned out they (the University authorities) , although they administered the area, didn't actually own it, and could not legally forbid its use. Only the SU could, who of course told the cops to go suck a long one. (Cops tried to arrest him anyway, but their phalanx couldn't break through the line of massed students with linked arms , and Tim spouted above it all. The cops wimped out on using batons, just as well for them, there was a contingency plan ready for that). So, if it is still the case, the SU could allow parking ? (Though I have a perception that the STudent Union nowdays are rather wimpish)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Outlined on the map below are some of the areas that are ok to park in, most are even marked for our use.

Under the science centre: The white lined area under by the physics building is ok, if you are parking long ways stick as close to the cage as possible and you should be fine, this is marked m/c parking... Other spots down there include by the steps, in the small angular sections in the corners and so forth. NOT behind the gym along the walkway. More spots can be accessed via the Computer Science service entrance

The area out under the steps on symonds street is fine, fit as many in as possible.

Outside engineering, off the grafton road service vehicles entrance next to the stairs is a marked MC area. Some already park there, others sit clear of it, along the walls of the buildings (between walls + cars), cars have been scratched because of this, so please stick to the marked area.

Owen G Glen parking building. This is the largest parking area. Most corners are large angular parks, Other spots are beside poles and next to the elevators. All are labelled MC but as long as you are not in the way/taking a carpark you will be fine.

There are also parks available in the Law School carpark, and at Grafton campus.

The area's in green are good, the red are a no go zone. If you know of any other good spots let me know and we'll try make them official, They should be fine as long as they dont get in the way of foot/car/maintenance traffic

Non-KB'rs can view the attached image here:
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2364/uniparking.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uni Parking.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	332.1 KB 
ID:	120933  

Bike
    R80, CB400N, Cb200.
    Legend Nice work. _b
    Quote Originally Posted by John Banks View Post
    Yes, but bikes = cool and cars = suck. I think it's Newton's fourth law or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    Queer Retarded Fags I think.

Isn't sniper one of those?

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    Quote Originally Posted by shingo View Post
    CP36 is Carpark 36, which is the carpark between science / maths physics, student union, and the rec centre ( where Steven, Hanne, Andrew, etc park, and I saw your VTR250 there the other day by the stairs up to the quad area ). That whole area is Carpark 36.

Bike
    -
    Awesome, Squiggles. Thank-you so much

I may have interpreted your post incorrectly, but did you discuss with him the little gravel bit between OGGB and the Grafton Rd footpath?

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post

I may have interpreted your post incorrectly, but did you discuss with him the little gravel bit between OGGB and the Grafton Rd footpath?
    Yes, the uni wants that gone (aesthetic value i believe), but to inside the building (and i believe you can exit the lifts just out by the gravel bit)

That way everyone stays dry tooo

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post

i've got the low down on that one

----
    me 1 Why are bikes not allowed to park under the commons if they do not interfere with the car parking?

earl wyattWhere under the KEIC building – commons are you referring to?? Bikes are not to ride or park on pedestrian walkways, which I suspect is possibly the areas – can you explain further??

CP36. stephen has reminded the club that riding on the walkway is unnacceptable, especially considering it is easier to leave via princes st than negotiate through walkways. the issue was with all bikes being ticketed when they were not actually blocking a path, but hopefully new markings will clear that up

2 Why are bikes not allowed to park on the gravel on Grafton Rd near the new commerce buildings?

The whiteish gravel area in Grafton road is either Transit NZ or Auckland Council land, and subject to their laws/whims. The UoA Senior management is also concerned/unhappy with the motor cycles parking there and Unisafe are merely trying to get the riders to park elsewhere

will get back to you on that one, we were under the impression it was uni property (as unisafe was ticketing and not the ACC wardens)

3 Has there been any complaints that should be forwarded to the SMC?

Complaints about ??

If there is a complaint made about a motorcycle or motorcyclist causing obstruction or creating a hazard feel free to inform the SMC and we can tell them, and others, what was wrong and not to do that again, rather than the current system of ticketing the bike and the rider not understanding why.

4 Why are pedal bikes allowed to park wherever they so please?

Bicycles are not allowed to park anywhere, action is taken as much as possible to re-direct them to the racks and bike shed.

thankyou

5 Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to a shortage of parking on symonds st?

Not really – there are quite a lot of quiet out of the way spaces where motor cycles can park – seems to be a few spaces available in Symonds St when I walk past. All parking is severely restricted on campus anyway.

a common opinion among members is how it was often difficult to find spots at peak times. we count around 140 bikes in the bike parking around noon with approximately 150m of parking on symonds street - we do not have an accurate count of the bikes parked elsewhere.

6 Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to ongoing thefts of the more valuable motorcycles from symonds st?

No – have the thefts been reported to Unisafe and Police?

yes reported to the police. on one occasion we saw the theifs in the act. would've been nice of the police to show up while the theifs went up and down the road looking for another bike after the first attempt failed, but it seems the police cannot do much until the vehicle has actually been stolen.

7 Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to the frequency of "near misses" where students trying to negotiate into a tight parking slot find themselves caught by a wave of traffic?

Symonds St is a busy road, and probably will get worse in the near future – inner city streets can be dangerous for all

thankyou. we hope that the new pedestrian crossing shown on the central transit corridor plans will help give clear windows in which to enter/exit parks

8 Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to the frequency of "near misses" where students trying to negotiate out of a parking spot cannot see traffic (and vice versa) due to the trees blocking everyone's view?

We are concerned about traffic – (I am aware that Senior management have approached and discussed road dangers to Council on many occasions and are still doing so.

as above - though the same plans show yet more trees being planted

9 Is it not in the best interests of the university to ensure that it's students are not financially crippled by theft?

I cant answer this – naturally we do not want students to be victims of crime

luckily it looks like we may get modification of the central transit corridor project to include a bar along the bike parking to which we can lock our bikes

10 Is it not in the best interests of the university to ensure that it's students are not physically crippled by an avoidable accident?

We know that, and do all we can to prevent which is why the pedestrian walkways must be kept clear of parked motor cycles or motor cycles travelling on the pedestrian ways.

I see that the "no parking" signs have been removed within several hours of their placement. If one of our club members are responsible we do apologise, and are stressing to our members that no member takes any drastic action while we get to the bottom of this - unfortunately the law students among us have made the point that you cannot tow a vehicle if the no parking sign was not present at the time of their parking there, and the common perception is that provided a vehicle is not actually blocking pedestrian traffic, there should be no issue with parking there.

Motor cycles can park in quiet areas, where they do not obstruct pedestrians, vehicles or cause damage to buildings, cars etc and m/cycles should not receive a warning notice or be removed if they are not offending. Any prudent driver/rider should always park where they know they have authority – if they do not have such authority the prudent driver/rider does not park.

thankyou, see number 3 above

--

We are aware that Symonds st parking is not the university's property, and are not asking for you to chase that up, but are simply enquiring as to why the university is taking such an unreasonable approach to motorcycles parking on campus; It seems that, with the apparent loss of parking on Symonds st due to take place over the easter break and rising petrol prices further increasing the number of motorcycles/scooters, parking on campus will become more common and should really be resolved sooner rather than later.

We actually are trying to be very proactive in providing parking for motor cycles. I have spent several hours walking the OGGB car park and marking out spare areas to be painted as parking spaces for motor cycles – we now have to get the road marker in and they are busy to paint the areas. Hope to have this done by Easter. I also convinced the Management to allow motor cycles to park in the OGGB for free, provided they were not parked in car spaces. We are also in the process of marking out several other motor cycle park areas in sector 400 and 300 – the issue is ‘space’ we just do not have it.

The President of AUSA and a member of the motor cycle group have met with me, walked the campus and seem happy with the initiatives I am taking to make life easier for motor cyclists.

a big thankyou for this one, stephen has given a brief report on the outcome of the meeting and it does sound like a good move forward

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    You fellas are doing a first class job on everybody's behalf, and going about it the right way. Big bling to both Steven and Andrew, keep up the excellent work.

Thread Information