Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes the best street-motard?

Bike
    Mooootards
    Probably as unruly as a unicorn too I'd imagine......not that I've ridden many unicorns obviously
    Largely Misunderstood

Bike
    04 R6
    Im going to go test ride a DR400SM tomorrow, will give you the ride report

Bike
    Mooootards
    Quote Originally Posted by FilthyLuka View Post
    Im going to go test ride a DR400SM tomorrow, will give you the ride report
    Ah yes, my friend has one of those. Pretty to look at and has all the creature comforts but is too slow as standard. He changed the pipe and jets and modded the airbox, goes better now but still not mental enough for my liking....pretty stable handling though so not too bad.
    Largely Misunderstood

Bike
    04 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by mammaryman View Post
    Ah yes, my friend has one of those. Pretty to look at and has all the creature comforts but is too slow as standard. He changed the pipe and jets and modded the airbox, goes better now but still not mental enough for my liking....pretty stable handling though so not too bad.
    Yoshimura 450 big bore kit, includes bore, high compression piston, cams and an ignition module...

I think that would fix it

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Yoshimura 450 big bore kit, includes bore, high compression piston, cams and an ignition module...

I think that would fix it
    What's the point of spending up large on a big bore kit on a 400, especially a heavy, low spec unit like a DR? It's still gonna be slower than your average XR650 and be a whole lot more hassle getting it set up. Then you are still stuck with crap suspension, crap brakes and too much lard.
    The only thing going for a DR are it's price and reliabilty, both of which you lose once you start talking big bore kits etc.

Bike
    04 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    What's the point of spending up large on a big bore kit on a 400, especially a heavy, low spec unit like a DR? It's still gonna be slower than your average XR650 and be a whole lot more hassle getting it set up. Then you are still stuck with crap suspension, crap brakes and too much lard.
    The only thing going for a DR are it's price and reliabilty, both of which you lose once you start talking big bore kits etc.
    Who knows, ask yoshimura Race and Development

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ps-3458-...arts-only.aspx

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    #sigh#

Kids these days...
    I've had my car learners for 3 years, probably spent about half an hour total behind the wheel during my lifetime.

However, not having a car to a teenager is like not having a cellphone, which I don't have either. Had one, lost it, couldn't afford another cause of the bike
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeback View Post
    matinance $500 will do up the top end do it 8-10,000km for the road 4-5000 for race , pritty much bullet prof, cush drive rear hub would be smother on the road and eazyer on the box,
    For the ZX10, i had one b4 the WR Retard, and i dont regret selling it to buy the WR , i sold my ZX for 13.5k and spent it all on the WR , it's the most fun youll ever have on a bike, and i can ride it faster than the 10 in the tight stuff by 15-25 km. watch out as they tuck the front verry fast and run wright of the tyre with ground clearance.
    What other costs were involved? I keep hearing the oil has to be done regularly.

A ZX10R would be better as a commuter/fun bike wouldn't it? Since the WR's maintenance intervals become closer in between since so many k's are being racked up.

I probably won't rest until a ZX10R is out of my system, but I'm not getting one anytime soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero165 View Post
    The 525 seems like the largest bike you can buy without going into the adventure/simi roadbike, motard thing.
    http://www.tmracing.it/eng/modello.p...o=82&anno=2008

Don't think it'd take too much to get that dirt ready.

Top of the list of all the Motards I'm keen on.

Bike
    Mooootards
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    http://www.tmracing.it/eng/modello.p...o=82&anno=2008

Don't think it'd take too much to get that dirt ready.

Top of the list of all the Motards I'm keen on.
    Gotta love the TM, but like the Vor....exclusivity has a price....
    Largely Misunderstood

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Quote Originally Posted by mammaryman View Post
    Gotta love the TM, but like the Vor....exclusivity has a price....
    Parts are difficult to come by aren't they?

Initial cost isn't too much more is it?

Another one at the top of the list, the Maico 685 2 stroke: http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Maico/20...ial%20Edition/

Can't find one for sale, but they are re branded as the ATK 700 in America. They're going for around $13000 NZD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008ATK700-620ccIntimidator.pdf  

Bike
    Mooootards
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Parts are difficult to come by aren't they?

Initial cost isn't too much more is it?
    In Europe no problem....but here....I'd rather stick to a more widely available brand like KTM and have no part searching headaches
    Largely Misunderstood

Bike
    06 625 SMC
    Mammaryman,

I've heard of the 525's have a problem stripping the starter motor cog. Have you experienced this?

Bike
    Mooootards
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero165 View Post
    Mammaryman,

I've heard of the 525's have a problem stripping the starter motor cog. Have you experienced this?
    Nope, not once, I've been riding it for just under a year now and use the electric start everytime.
    Largely Misunderstood

Bike
    06 625 SMC
    Thats good to hear!

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeback View Post
    For the ZX10, i had one b4 the WR Retard, and i dont regret selling it to buy the WR , i sold my ZX for 13.5k and spent it all on the WR , it's the most fun youll ever have on a bike, and i can ride it faster than the 10 in the tight stuff by 15-25 km. watch out as they tuck the front verry fast and run wright of the tyre with ground clearance.
    Hmmmm, I dunno OB, I kinda agree with ya but not whole heartedly. Yup, they are awesome fun on the right bit of road.....but getting to the right bit of road is the pain in the arse (literally).
    I loved my Husaberg 650 and only live about 30km's from the 'Taka's. As you mentioned, I was comfortably quicker over there than on my R1 and on this sort of road the thing made perfect sense.......but even 30 pissant km's was an exercise in boredom and discomfort. Not to mention a tank range of just over 100k's meant at least one fill every time you went out.
    Around town you'll be battling to avoid tickets but if you get one on the open road you are to be congratulated as cruising speed ain't gonna much over 100km/hr.
    Don't forget the wedgie with a 4 x 2" feeling either. You soon learn all the bum dance moves on that frikkin' torture plank they call a seat too: leaning forward, leaning back, weight on one cheek, then the other, standing up through towns etc etc. The 100km tank range is almost blessing.
    They do stop and corner like very little else (dry weight of 112kg's) but come any sort of straight and you'll be left wanting more.

Bike
    06 625 SMC
    I agree. The straights are why I sold my WR. I've since reconsidered and have decided to purchase a motard AND a sports bike. Sports bike for the traveling and motard for the playing.

Makes sense to me...

Thread Information