Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 6yo first time on a 2 wheel bike.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries

Smile My 6yo first time on a 2 wheel bike.

So I wake up on Saturday at 8am. My 6yo has jumped in to my bed. He lies there head in hands looking at me when I open my eyes. He smiles. I say: "Morning Vinny". He says: "Bike daddy". I close my eyes and think this will go away if I try hard enough. But I can feel his eyes burning in to me. I open my eyes again after unsuccessfully trying to go back to sleep, and yes, he is still there. Smile on his lips he says: "Bike daddy!!!" No, he does not have a speech problem, he just knows that nothing else needs to be said.

I have this oldish and very "pre loved" Suzuki DS80 in my garage that needs some work. We had a look at it in the week and I promised him that it would be his and we would together fix it in the weekend. And 8am on Saturday is weekend. I give him that.

But then I think about it: A 6yo that wants ro ride, that is prepared to give me a friendly nudge to get started. That wants to work on the bike! So I get up, have a V and we get started.

4 hours later we have together washed her, cleaned the carbi, repaired the muffler and refitted so it is not loose, repaired the chain adjustement so it stays where we put it, cleaned and greased the chain, aligned the front end, fitted side covers and seat properly and put some air in the flat tyres (why are they always flat at the bottom?). Also fixed the brakes. And some other small jobs.

Kickstart shaft is round, so kicking is out of question. We push start her in 2 gear, and she roars (well ok, as much roaring that a 80cc 2 stroke can do...) in to life.

He has never ridden a 2 wheel bike before. Or one with gears and clutch. So I show him what to do. But I can see that he is too eager to worry about what I tell him. He just wants to ride! So I leave her in 2nd gear, he jumps on and I push him and let the clucth out. He happily takes off and rides round and round on our section. Until he gets too cocky and ends up in to a tree (see pic). But no harm done, he laughs and thinks it was a blast.

So back on and off he roars again. As the sun goes down later he still is going round and round. OK, so he has had stops for toilet, food, petrol and drink. Also two small crashes. (Note that his hands are to small to pull the clutch and his feet are a fraction too short to reach down, so he does not stop. Just screams to me when he needs to stop!) I come and stop him as it is getting too dark. He jumps off and asks me: "Cant we put a light on it?"

When we put the bike away and go in he tells me that he wants to go and race motocross tomorrow. When I explain that he needs much more practice and also some proper gear. He says: "Why do you have those goggles on when racing?" I explain that it is so that you don't get dirt in your eyes. He looks at me and with a straight face says: "But if you are in the lead you don't need them!"

Today Sunday he has used her in 3rd gear and we have been to the beach. He tells me that he now can race. "When can we race?". Not yet son I say. "Next week?" he says, and then asks: "If we race far away how are we gonna get the bike on the plane"...

Yep. It was worth having 4 boys, as the youngest has inherited it. You go Vinny!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vinny small.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	89476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vinny ib bush small.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	272.4 KB 
ID:	89477  

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    Suzuki Bandit 250
    "But if you are in the lead you don't need them!"

I love it!!!

Bike
    '03 FXD
    One of those times which will stick in your boy's memory for ever.And yours.
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    awesome. thanks for sharing that.

DB

Bike
    S1000RR
    Oh wow that is really sweet lol

A dad of the year!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    A motivated kid like that, and only 6!
    Wicked! He's gonna cost you heaps....

But worth every cent!
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    Sweet my 4year old has been riding for 1 month now on his 03- KDX50 first ride straight into it feet up round the paddock till got tied & fell off . Now after 12 times on the bike its just like he has been riding for a year . Friends cann't believe how much skill he has for his age hope he got that from me LOL . He has been on my bikes since he was 1 & rides in the front on my TTR600 for 2hr rides so may have help with the balance . Better hide the keys to the Aprilia next

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    08 RMZ 450
    hey scott where did you get your kdx50 from?
    i've never heard of them.
    jake wants to ride lukes bike but he cant touch ground on it.
    are they still made?
    cheers man
    Karl

Bike
    Honda PC800
    good onya mate youve joined the club.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by soundbeltfarm View Post
    are they still made?
    cheers man
    Karl
    mate --peewee 50 --best first bike
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Tiger 800
    awesome, bet he was stoked... but next sunday, itll be;

"Daddy, wheres my GSXR1000"

and please, put sommat on the kids knees/shins... (sorry Ive just binned in jeans, but if its in the blood the kids probably a better rider than me already...)

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Well Alex just turned 4 in feb and he's sat pillion up and down our right of way a few times but Chickadee advises me he's still too young for a PW50......but soon.....
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmj View Post
    awesome, bet he was stoked... but next sunday, itll be;

"Daddy, wheres my GSXR1000"

and please, put sommat on the kids knees/shins... (sorry Ive just binned in jeans, but if its in the blood the kids probably a better rider than me already...)
    Yep, jeans on each time now. That was first ride and then in to the tree. After that it was jeans and jacket! Luckily no real damage.

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    Quote Originally Posted by soundbeltfarm View Post
    are they still made?...

Brought it from Feilding from a bike shop there . It is just a Kawasaki version of a JR 50 Suzuki just Green they are pretty rare to find but look heaps better then the yellow JR50s , has 2 heights you can put the suspension at which is great for the small guys to put both feet on the ground . Found mine on Trademe so may be others still around Karl
    Last edited by Virago; 16th March 2008 at 20:46. Reason: HTML

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    Well Alex just turned 4 in feb and he's sat pillion up and down our right of way a few times but Chickadee advises me he's still too young for a PW50......but soon.....
    Try a LT50. 4 wheeler, centrifugal clutch and a kill switch on a string you can pull. Vinny has been on that one for about a year. But he was getting bored. Riding full noise and not enough. You get them from $400. And you get your money back when selling. (as long as you do not go riding it your self...)

Thread Information