Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '08 Hillclimb...Second sucks!

Bike
    Exxon Valdez

'08 Hillclimb...Second sucks!

What a FRIGGIN GREAT weekend!!! Thanks to the organisers for it all.

Saturday morning I couldn't be arsed making a stupidly early trip over, so we got on the road just before eight, while the gorgeous Vicki considered that still too stupid and purred away in her sleep to ride over later. Pick up Helen and off we go.

Managed to get there on time by some miracle, and off we went on the sighting run. First impression..."Why the fuck did they patch it? The road was better with ruts than loose friggin stones!"

Anyhoo, couldn't do squat about it, and everyone has to deal with the same shit, lets have a crack. Off I go on my first timed run, was fastest, but a 2.21 wasn't gonna cut it this weekend. I was having massive rear traction issues, and tweaking the factory Ohlins on the 999s to the best of my limited ability, (yeas Kerry, I should have gotten you the DU number and given you a chance to sort it, I'm a stupid stupid man/boy, take your pick), the biggest problem it was causing was to my confidence though, I as losing heart and quick. Times came down, but once Jay's bike arrived and he got out there I was second by over a second.

The rally was a blast, and anyone who may still be under the mis-conception that MrsKendog is a lovely quiet girl with good manners, THINK AGAIN!!! I got just the right amount of alcahol in me to get rid of my few inhabitions and had a crack at showing the band how to do it, (boy did they not like the mic in the hands of me) time for bed now

Race day dawns and it's ON! I'm determined the traction can be found, and my first run is slightly (like .001) quicker than Jay's last effort from Saturday. Thinking I might have a shot, Jay arrives at the top quicker still.
    Back down to change a tyre and see what I can do. This was how it went for three runs. After lunch, I set the record, so Jay wakes up and totally obliterates it, by now I'm kinda at the end of my tether trying to get the bike to hook up, but I have made remakable gains in controling slides, and would happily bet the rear tyre has MOOOCHO smoke comin off it after hangin out for 30 odd meters of the course in certain places. Anyway, of all people, the stirling chap Andrew Lawrence, (yep, Jay's dad) gives me some more input and I head off for my last run. I really turned it on, and was sliding more than ever before, from turn three to the top, the rear would step out on every exit, one moment of doubt had me coast around the hairpin having given up, a second thought ("losers give up, HARDEN THE FUCK UP, and get on the gas!!!") occured and quickly down shifted a couple times and back on it hard! I did manage my best time, but was .037 seconds off Jay's time, I could have cried.

To tell the truth, I am proud to be so close to such a great guy, and wicked rider, and the sting of second is almost gone, from the respect I have for the whipper snapper.

The thank you list...

First is Flame, as there is no-one I get as much support from, (or other things from for that matter) Kerry Jeffs of Ktl motorcycles, for sending down the 999s out of the showroom, and sponsoring the C2 class we entered. I could never have dreamed of that kind of faith in me, and selflessness. Robert and Cherry Taylor, you guys rock, Anglo American motorcycle club, Siverdale landscape services, Biketranz, Kerry our local Ohlins man, (even if I was too dumb to try and get it fixed).

Special thanks go out to the men of the hour, Weaver (Allan), and Canterbury (Phill). The help you both gave us was totally un-expected, and way above and beyond. I really hope I can someday repay you, for all the help with bikes, warmers, shop runs, (filthy smokers), and the encouragment. Both Flame and I couldn't have asked for a better pit crew, the only missiong ingredient was skelstar, and you both will have done the man proud.

Deano again, you make sure you have your own shit in one sock, then ring around all of us and make sure we dont need anything, you're a star, as is yo lovely wife, and well behaved offspring.

And last but not least, Jay. I am happy to get teh second overall behind you mate, well done, you earnt the top spot.

There are many others to thank too, Numberone, Chancey, Mel, Trudy, and many more I know. You were all fantastic!

Deano, Vick wants to note further thanks, for your support to her, at hill top meant the world to her.

Peace out

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Nice write up mate and good try - ahhhh what will next year bring? or win
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    great write up there Drew...

not hard to support ppl as yourself & Flame .. two really genuine down to earth ppl who work hard to get where they are at ... not to mention having the talent as well

was a blardy primo weekend & even though we were in the quiet corner could hear mrs Kd from there

but missed ya on the mic .. that would have been blardy great to see
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    well done dude...you were obviously enjoying ya self...never saw you with out a big stupid smile on ya dial!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    2005 Firestorm
    Blog Entries
    It was great watching the battle between you and Jay unfold...even though I didn't see it

Next year Drew, next year....

Bike
    HD Cubic inches
    You did it again Drew and Vicki.Made us real proud to have you on our team.No risk what so ever ,Drew,giving you a show room ready bike (yea right).All the damage was done before you got to the event this time.Good forward thinking Bro.You did well on a totally unset up bike. And Vicki,bloody hell,second to a fast 1098s, you rock girl,your one fast chicky babe So on behalf of the Anglo American Motorcycle Club ,Congratulations for an awsome days riding and for just being YOU

Bike
    Goose
    Fuck yeah Drew, it was awesome watching you and Jay battle it out! You did really well out there and you were pretty humble about it too, no really! You really cant be unhappy about your effort, if you werent out there then Jay might not have pushed it so hard. You did AWESOME!Thanks for all your help and encouragement too!
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Congrats - Now for some pictures!

Bike
    Several
    Great stuff man, and congrats on going faster than the previous record by 3 seconds or so!
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Nice result man, well done

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    anyone who may still be under the mis-conception that MrsKendog is a lovely quiet girl with good manners, THINK AGAIN!!!
    She can be a lot louder than that

You and Jay were simply a level above the rest, it was great watching you battle it out.
    I was on the track for two sessions, sitting where I felt safe beside the road trying to get that 'wow' photo. For the most part I felt safe, except when you and Jay came past...... holy shit!!!!!!!!!
    Photo three is not cropped or edited. I could have reached out and given you a pat on the back. I hope I didn't scare you (I was a little scared) or put you off. The photo is not perfect, but it gives a good sense of the action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	723.6 KB 
ID:	89630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	525.4 KB 
ID:	89631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	594.7 KB 
ID:	89632  

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX View Post
    Congrats - Now for some pictures!
    Tadaaaaaaa

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
    She can be a lot louder than that

You and Jay were simply a level above the rest, it was great watching you battle it out.
    I was on the track for two sessions, sitting where I felt safe beside the road trying to get that 'wow' photo. For the most part I felt safe, except when you and Jay came past...... holy shit!!!!!!!!!
    Photo three is not cropped or edited. I could have reached out and given you a pat on the back. I hope I didn't scare you (I was a little scared) or put you off. The photo is not perfect, but it gives a good sense of the action.

damn great shots there Nigel ... blardy heck that 3 one is close
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
    Tadaaaaaaa
    They're wicked shots, thanks heaps. I didn't realise that was you in the ditch, or that I'd come so close. Pity I didn't have the back wheel out a couple feet for maximum cool.

Thanks all for the kind words, I had a ball.

Bike
    SUZUKI road & Kawasaki race bike
    awesome stuff Drew!!
    damn good stuff and cool read as always
    sad i missed all the fun..... cant wait to watch the rematch next year
    Taking it to the track thanks to: KIWIBIKE INSURANCE & PIRELLI TYRES, EXPERIENCE MOTORCYCLES, EBC Brakes, SUPERSPROX Sprockets, TSUBAKI Chains, RST Leathers, REPSOL Oils, FutureGrafix, Autolink

Thread Information