Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000 km in 10 days - Which bike for it?

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    10,000kms in 10 days?

That's not Rusty Nuts, that's totally nuts!

And yes - as Cola said, and RF would do it easy enough, and with minimal depreciation
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    RF900 /cbr1100xx/GAS GAS 250
    best i have goten out of the bird was 6000k on a rear tyre.
    South island roads eat tyres! all the quartz in the road.
    I wouldnt go 10,000k on an oil change, prob 6-7k at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I'll tentatively put my hand up for a blackbird, good price for the kit you get, not sure on servicing interval tho.

One I rode down to the SI and back within a week had Pilot Road 2's on, and while I kinda... used them a bit (especially on the edges - mental note, 40 odd kg of luggage and a sporty disposition can overheat tyres a bit - sorry boss ) I did find it fantastic for long distances, doing 450km without stops besides gas and thats basically a day ride for me normally. Tyres should last over 10k, and they grip very well.

Just don't get a puncture... 370+ kg didn't do so good for 60 odd km on a deflating tyre, although amazingly enough I could still hold 120 ish through the country, so not too bad
    its Crazy Big Al but if your have lesbian fantasies you can read it crazy bi gal if you like!

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by yod View Post
    why?

i'd be interested in your views on the blackbird as a sports tourer....I understand they're not short on power but how are they comfort/fuel/tyre/maintenance-wise?

cheers
    I could write pages on 'birds because after nearly 7 years of ownership, I know them pretty much inside out, Including strengths and (the very few) shortcomings. It's simply the best bike I've ever owned for the type of riding I do - a mix of touring, long distance endurance riding and fanging it with the boys. I wouldn't have the temerity to suggest there aren't other great bikes around though. Jantar and I did the 2005 Southern Cross round NZ ride together and whilst the 'bird was great for that, I was simply suggesting that a big capacity bike may not be the best option for 10000 km in 10 days and that a bit of thinking outside the square might be appropriate.

If you want specific info on owning a 'bird, PM me your email address and I'll send you some info.

Geoff

Bike
    2002 SV650S
    Go with a katana 600 or 750,on my 600 i get easily 12k plus out of the rear and about the same if not more out of the front and thats mostly open road backroads. bloody good fuel consumption up to 380 out of a tank 15ltrs i think. and chains and sprockets are pretty much lube them and thats it ,id say its a near perfect bike for that type of thing ,as its meant to be economical in every aspect of ownership and i can honestly say it really is and they dont cost an arm and a leg to buy brandnew and especially cheap 2nd hand
    Kiwi Biker - Keeping you up with the latest gossip...no matter where you are
    signaturepics/sigpic12191_4.gif

Bike
    Steam powered rocking chair
    Sounds like an excuse to buy a new bike, I'd just be looking on the map of the route and pre booking tyres/oil change ,whats the big deal?? 30-45min fresh tryes and fresh oil ,and back into it. Can't be any worse than having to deal with a puncture etc.

Bike
    1997 Moto Guzzi California
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Tyres: It is well known that I don't ride hard, and don't have a surplus over Horse power that I'm trying to put down, but I'm running Z6's front and rear, 13000 between changes no problem at all.

Fuel: Twice in the last week I have touched 380Km from full tank and not flicked to reserve. I know I have put 21.8 litres in my tank without having to push it in to the gas station (must have been close though, listed as 22 litre tank). Most this trip was 19 litres (381km).

Should my wife win that debate and I not do the 10,000km ride, you may be able to hire my bike .
    Riding style must have a lot to do with tyre life, I'm running Michelin Pilots and so far up to 16000km with I reckon, 1/2 as much to go again.

Bike
    . .
    I got 13000kms out of a Metzeler tourance on my R1100GS without being too nice to it. I suggest you use your V-Strom and a metzeler rear. You can do an oil change during the ride - would only take 30 mins.

Bike
    Apriliaaah!
    I dare ya - no, double-dare ya - to do it on the RE5. Get people to sponsor you 1c per KM (ie: $100 per sponsor if you make it the whole way). I'll put my money where my mouth is if you do! And think of the book rights at the end of it all . . .

Other than that, if money was no object I'd personally want something like a concours or k1200s, but I like the suggestion of something like a GSR600 or similar. Nice thinking, I'd imagine it would be a small decrease in comfort (and wank factor), but a huge saving in cost.
    I told him,
    "Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?"

He said,
    "Coach, I don't know and I don't care."

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by WRT View Post
    Other than that, if money was no object I'd personally want something like a concours or k1200s, but I like the suggestion of something like a GSR600 or similar. Nice thinking, I'd imagine it would be a small decrease in comfort (and wank factor), but a huge saving in cost.
    One issue with the smaller bikes is range. Ok smaller engines tend to be economical but not if they're pulling a zillion revs for hours on end. On one Southern Cross my 1200 Bandit used 24L less fuel than my mates GSX750F and had the better range. On the Mini's Return I was getting better economy on the 14 than he was getting on his Bandit and had a bigger tank. Depends on how much you want to stop I guess.

Also, comfort could be an issue on a naked GSR or similar. Maybe the 650 Bandit or GSX650/750 would be more comfy??? What about the 650 V-strom? They're supposed to go over 400km to a tank and get great write ups in the mags. Mite miss the thou though...

Horses for courses - whatever works for you. As long as it's comfortable & reliable.

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    ...... On the Mini's Reutrn it just hummed along - we kept pretty close to the speed limit and the bike gave an average of 17.7km/l for the whole trip (better than Mark's Bandit 12) with a range of around the 350km mark...........
    Yeeeeaaaah riiiiiiiight!!!!!!! and I was following cinderellas pumpkin last Tuesday!!

Nice bikes those KFC's (Kawasaki Frickin' Concoursis), but I was having to do half tank fills just to be sociable.

The ST will still do 400+Kms to a tank absolutley hammering it and I've had 520Km in a hit, taking it easy, with probably another 20-30Km in the tank when I got home.

On Pilot Road 2's, I got 12,500Km out of the rear and 18,000Km from the front, .....but I'll never put another dual compound tyre on it (at least not on the rear). The bike is just too heavy for them. I will stick to either Storms or possibly a Pilot Road (single compound) on the rear.

The oil & filter changes are scheduled for every 12,000Km but I have them done at 6,000. Time and short runs are as big an enemy to oil as Kms and for that type of running, I would have no problem doing changes before and after.

I don't have a problem doing 1,000Kms in a day, but stringing 10 of them together will be a real pain-in-the-arse. The bike will hack it no sweat....but I doubt I will.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WRT View Post
    I dare ya - no, double-dare ya - to do it on the RE5. Get people to sponsor you 1c per KM (ie: $100 per sponsor if you make it the whole way). I'll put my money where my mouth is if you do! And think of the book rights at the end of it all . . .

Maybe a KB challenge is in order. KB'rs SPONSOR our mate Jantar. Monies raised go to the KB web-site funds...IF HE DOES IT ON THE RE5. Minimum ONE cent per kilometre traveled, payable ONLY if he finishes.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
    Yeeeeaaaah riiiiiiiight!!!!!!! and I was following cinderellas pumpkin last Tuesday!!
    I said "close too". And anyway, we had some maniac on an ST pushing us hard...

And anyway, who bet who to Kaitaia?

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
    ...On Pilot Road 2's, I got 12,500Km out of the rear and 18,000Km from the front, .....but I'll never put another dual compound tyre on it (at least not on the rear). The bike is just too heavy for them. I will stick to either Storms or possibly a Pilot Road (single compound) on the rear.

The oil & filter changes are scheduled for every 12,000Km but I have them done at 6,000. Time and short runs are as big an enemy to oil as Kms and for that type of running, I would have no problem doing changes before and after.....

Thanks KoroJ, That is the type of information I'm looking for. I would rather ride a bike that is purpose built for this type of event than compromise and hope.

Many thanks to those who have offered to sponsor the RE5, but that sponsorship would have to extend to a travelling support vehicle with extra fuel. The RE5 only gets 140 - 160 km per tank of fuel, and requires servicing every 3000 kms. And, a service on an RE5 isn't simply an oil change, it is an involved process of cleaning internal filters etc, carb synch and adjustment among other item. It takes 3 to 4 hours. It also only gets 3500 per rear tyre and almost 5000 on a front and around 6500 per chain. Not a suitable ride for 10,000 kms in 10 days.
    Time to ride

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    After reading the Twisting Throttle book I'd say the strom is still a good choice.

How about leaving another rear wheel with new rubber on it around the 5000k location? Rears should be common.

With the centre stand and some willing help the rear could be swapped and the oil changed quicker than you could take a dump or while you are sleeping.

That way you get to ride on your already sorted bike, a bike you know well and have already made all the mods you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    Grunty beast
    I did 12,000 kms in USA on a 1991 Beema K100RS. The bike was great, (during the trip it turned over 100,000km.) Loaded and two-up the tyres made the distance, while I carried out a 10,000km oil & filter change myself during the trip - simply went into a lube bay and said if I buy my oil from you will you allow me to use your facilities...say no more.
    I would recommend any Beema (1,000 cc and up) for such a trip, and if price is an issue buy an older Beema. Likewise I've done a lot of K's on Honda ST's. I rate these bikes for quick touring - specially loaded and two-up.

Thread Information