Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000 km in 10 days - Which bike for it?

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Don't know yet, but it should be far enough ahead to plan overnight stops. The thing is, not many bike shops like someone asking if they drop the bike off at 9:00 pm for a service and tyres, and pick it up at 8:00 am.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Honda Pan European ST1100
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    I said "close too". And anyway, we had some maniac on an ST pushing us hard...

And anyway, who bet who to Kaitaia?
    Comments like this are common from fellow riders when you ride a Pan.
    You think you are just cruising and they think you are racing.

Buying a low mileage grey import ST1100 is a good option in my opinion. You just have to be careful on those bikes that have their speedos reading MPH as it is really easy to forget. Find yourself cruising at 100 - 110 thinking you are keeping legal.
    Atheism and Religion are but two sides of the same coin.
    One prefers to use its head, while the other relies on tales.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Don't know yet, but it should be far enough ahead to plan overnight stops. The thing is, not many bike shops like someone asking if they drop the bike off at 9:00 pm for a service and tyres, and pick it up at 8:00 am.
    Drop off during day, start riding earlier.

Bike
    None any more
    The FJR1300. But of course I would say that, now wouldn't I?
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    The FJR1300. But of course I would say that, now wouldn't I?
    Of course you would say that. But the big question is: How far do you get on a rear tyre?
    Time to ride

Bike
    None any more
    How far do you get on a rear tyre?
    At least 16,000km off an Avon Storm. 10,000km service intervals too on an FJR. I would also recommend a sheepskin and pile cream.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    The VStrom is a superb tourer, and I will be using it for next year's Southern Cross. However it does need an oil change every 6000 km and I have tried a number of different tyres but never managed more than 8500 km (Pirelli Scorpoins).
    Where is halfway? I cant see a problem with getting tires changed halfway/part way through at a store. Hitcher changed tires on his last sojourn.

Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    The bike is absolutely up to it - as you'd expect from this sort of bike. On the Mini's Reutrn it just hummed along - we kept pretty close to the speed limit and the bike gave an average of 17.7km/l for the whole trip (better than Mark's Bandit 12) with a range of around the 350km mark.
    Big vs Small I get a Avg. Kilometres/Litre:13.96

Which covers some touring but mainly fanging on a CBR600RR, and a range of 200ish

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    seriously consider a modern 600
    Like a CBR!

Quote Originally Posted by Hinny View Post
    or an Honda.
    See above!

Or use the Vstrom for the ride, and hope I can find a shop that can do an overnight service and tyre change at the end of day 6. (my preferred option)
    I reckon if you find a few others on the trip you could pre-arrange a store to stay open a bit later. Ten people with pre ordered tires would make it worth their while to keep a member of staff on to switch tires, and you could do the oil at the same time if required.

Where is day 6?

Bike
    A red one
    Quote Originally Posted by lanci View Post
    I mustn't forget my preferred brand, the Ducati Multistrada, supposed to be great despite questionable looks.........
    Shoot this man for lack of soul. Only question re Muiltistrada looks is are they fantastic or merely superb?

Bike
    . .
    Some tyre mileages from a V-Strom 1000 over the last 160,000kms.

Tires-I prefer the 'old' Tourance. here is the mileage from all the tires I've tried.
    original Bridgestone F & R-9907mi. these were the worst.
    Dunlop rear 9691mi. next worst tire.
    Pirelli Scorpion fronts 21899 & 18985mi, Pirelli scorp rear 9216mi. good tires.
    Tourances fronts 16147, 18018. Front EXP at +14000.
    Tourances rear 12,992, 14775, 14601, 13744. Front EXP 8948.

Remember these are Miles not km's.

Full story here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323749

Use a tourance on the rear and your strom will be fine for the ride.
    Find somewhere off the beaten track and dump your oil and refill yourself. No need to do the filter.

Andy.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
    Some tyre mileages from a V-Strom 1000 over the last 160,000kms.....
    I have seen simialr claims from other USA riders, but that is not a fair comparisom with New Zealand's roads.

My experiences are 6500 km (not miles) from the origional TWs, 5800 km from Battle wings, 8500 km from Scorpions and these are almost identical to the tourance in compound and tread.

In 25,000 km so far no tyres have managed 10,000 km, and I haven't spoken to any other New Zealand riders who have managed it either.
    Time to ride

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    In 25,000 km so far no tyres have managed 10,000 km, and I haven't spoken to any other New Zealand riders who have managed it either.
    Used to be well known among North Is Riders that South Is roads were harder wearing on ya tyres than North Is roads. I think I remember being told it was due to the courser, harder, road chip that is used in South Is. I tended to get less tyre life out of my tyres in your neck of the woods Jantar than up here. What are the USA Roads like? Less twisties would really add life ta ya tyre too.
    Are V-Stroms harder wearing on tyres than other bikes ya had? The Z6's offen gave me 10,000km out of the rear on "Roxanne" (the CBR1000FL) and more from the from the front.
    But would still look at a 3/4 point set-up for at least a rear tyre change day 6 or 7 doing what ya planning ta do just ta be on the safe side.
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    04 honda cbr 600
    the v stroms are great long distance bikes. doing that milage you will struggle with most bikes. i would seek a change and stick to your bike. but the smaller cc bike are far less tyre wearing than the bigger bikes. but there is nothing i would suggest over the mighty v

honda rules

Bike
    ZZR1100 D7
    How about another same colour V-Strom and also keep your old one? When you ride past your home swap over to a freshly serviced bike on new tyres! Is that allowed? Then flick one off after the rally.

Bike
    ZZR1100 D7
    Seriously, have you considered buying a spare set of wheels and doing a pit stop at a pre arranged point? I have seen a V Strom with wire wheels. I may be wrong but I thought they were 17 and 19 inch sizes so it should be fairly easy to get something to fit.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX View Post

Which covers some touring but mainly fanging on a CBR600RR, and a range of 200ish
    200ish KPH squirts?

Thread Information