Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 10,000 km in 10 days - Which bike for it?

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezza View Post
    A FJR and you'll do it with ease. I may be slightly biased though.
    You're not biased at all!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    As far as a 'engine service' goes unless it is going to be due for a valve check during the 10k I doubt it will be required - put in a quality semi or full synthetic oil and a new filter before the trip and it will be just fine for the duration. I suspect it will actually come out cleaner after 10k in 10 days than 6k in 6 months of short stop start riding.
    If you are worried check your owners handbook, as the shop may tell you 6k but you may find the factory actually stipulates twice this (as my Honda manual does).

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    As far as a 'engine service' goes unless it is going to be due for a valve check during the 10k I doubt it will be required - put in a quality semi or full synthetic oil and a new filter before the trip and it will be just fine for the duration. I suspect it will actually come out cleaner after 10k in 10 days than 6k in 6 months of short stop start riding.
    If you are worried check your owners handbook, as the shop may tell you 6k but you may find the factory actually stipulates twice this (as my Honda manual does).
    Mine will get new oil and filter and tires in Welly at about 6500 from last service....whether it needs it or not....

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    Choose the bike best suited to you for the ride and forget the manufacture's service schedule and tyre wear rates.

Don't do a service - run the bike the full 10,000kms. This doesn't mean don't check the oil level and top up if necessary. Manufacturer's set a service schedule distance to meet a number of factors, including expected type of running and income for dealers. On this trip the motor will be making only 10 cold starts, about 20 warm starts and a few other hot starts. Also the motor will not be stressed - unless you plan to make a race out the trip. Suzuki have a 6k service cycle and Triumph a 10k cycle - what is the logic to this?

There is a small risk of an argument with a dealer if you have a warranty issue with the motor but I think it is a risk worth taking. If you use your current bike this may be irrelevant.

Tyres are going to wear out and a lower risk approach is to replace during the trip and I would plan to do this early. The rear on the Vstrom is wearing out at 8500kms so I would plan to change at 6000kms and make arrangements with a shop to do this. Why not change the tyre during the day, while having a food break? If the shop is expecting you the job can be done in under 45mins.

Buying a bike you don't like just because of a long service schedule makes no sense.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    It might but will you?....Lugging a 1/4 tonne of bike around NZs twistiest?

Monsters the bike for me....

Quick service and tyre change in Welly waiting for the ferry, and its all systems go
    You make it sound like you will be carrying the bike??
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
    You make it sound like you will be carrying the bike??
    Every one has different opinions and I respect that....I have tried heavy and light, my personal choice is for a lighter more nimble bike for one up touring...

Thread Information