Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First scooter - any advice?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allycatz View Post
    I find my Honda Today goes fine....guy in shop insisted it could never go over 50kms and it does quite easily
    There are the strong (tail) winds that your area is well known for ...
    Some steep down hills too ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Your mom

For that price I wouldn't get a scooter...

Look into a CG125 or an AX100, a tidy one is in your price range.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Adam mate,

Of the recognised brands, they are all much of a muchness. I had a Malaguti 50cc jobbie to get to town a few years back. It was like an armchair on wheels and could take my 90Kg to and keep it at 80Kph very easily.

I do miss having a runabout for short trips and I am currently looking at getting a CT110 for the same purpose.

Good luck with your search.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Quote Originally Posted by allycatz View Post
    I find my Honda Today goes fine....guy in shop insisted it could never go over 50kms and it does quite easily
    Scooter speedos are designed to be hoplessly optimistic - much like Hurricanes supporters...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    Ignore the trolls, they just want feeding

Vespa are good IMHO but you'd need to spend more than you've got.

Are you dead set on a moped i.e. 50cc or can you get a learner license and go for a 125cc plus? Sure the rego and WOF will cost you more, but the extra oomph might save you from a world of frustration.

Mind you the 80kph Malaguti must have been doing about 70kph, so that was obviously well modded (and therefore should not have been rego'd as a moped!)

Quote Originally Posted by adam228 View Post
    Please no one telling me to get a bike, I don't want a bike just a bit of advise on scooters!
    BTW - I have a 200cc scooter and rode for over a year and 10,000km, got a full license and now she sits in my drive while I ride my 650cc bike instead. Not that I'm telling you to get one... the Vespa is actually better suited for commuting but the bike is just so much more engaging to ride

Cheers - Chasio

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    Really?..................
    Hamilton is pretty shit for rider turnout.

only the few are out there

Quote Originally Posted by chasio View Post

Cheers - Chasio
    The piaggo zip is shit

Bike

Are you dead set on a moped i.e. 50cc or can you get a learner license and go for a 125cc plus? Sure the rego and WOF will cost you more, but the extra oomph might save you from a world of frustration.

Mind you the 80kph Malaguti must have been doing about 70kph, so that was obviously well modded (and therefore should not have been rego'd as a moped!)

BTW - I have a 200cc scooter and rode for over a year and 10,000km, got a full license and now she sits in my drive while I ride my 650cc bike instead. Not that I'm telling you to get one... the Vespa is actually better suited for commuting but the bike is just so much more engaging to ride

Cheers - Chasio
    Fair comment. My cousin owned the scooter shop and asked the mechanic to de-restrict it during the PDI.

It was very quick off the mark and was fine until you hit a bit of open road. You then feel quite vulnerable as you cannot keep up with the cars.

IMO 50cc scooter = OK for urban riding only.

Bike
    BTW: A de-restricted Gilera 125 = Faaarking quick.

140Kph = no problem.

Bike
    Pillion
    Hills???? I live in Kapiti....

Bike
    Pillion
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    Scooter speedos are designed to be hoplessly optimistic - much like Hurricanes supporters...
    and I watch soccer so ner ner ner.....to the thread writer my son (17) uses scooter all the time to college and work....he loves it. Ive offered to get him a bike he says no, rides his dirt bike when he wants to go faster....Honda 50 doesnt take pillions so if you were planning on wanting anyone on board with ya then go for one of the other longer scooters that do and then Id say get ya licence and go for a 100 or 150cc with a bit more guts.

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    The piaggo zip is shit
    No contest, your honour. That must be why it's not a Vespa.

Also it has to be said that the Vespa 50's look good but are shockingly expensive and slower than others. But a second hand GT200 is a good choice, if you're after a classically styled scooter. They're also a hell of a lot better than something like my XF650 in a cross-wind.

The Gilera mentioned above sounds interesting... or maybe one of the Suzuki 125's (can't remember which one is better of AN or UZ) for the intended use.

Cheers - Chasio

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    No contest, your honour. That must be why it's not a Vespa.

Also it has to be said that the Vespa 50's look good but are shockingly expensive and slower than others. But a second hand GT200 is a good choice, if you're after a classically styled scooter. They're also a hell of a lot better than something like my XF650 in a cross-wind.

The Gilera mentioned above sounds interesting... or maybe one of the Suzuki 125's (can't remember which one is better of AN or UZ) for the intended use.

Cheers - Chasio
    the UZ is the better one (still has Fi unlike the AN)

I got a BWS100 which is currently being a bit temperamental.

Bike
    1986 Honda GB 400F
    I've heard that the Yamaha Jog is the best one out there. I currently ride a Yamaha Vino, it's hilarious. The speedo goes up to sixty and (although I'm sure it's a tad optimistic) on the flats/downhill the needle hits sixty but I'm still accelerating
    However it's awful going up hills (as you should expect from a 50cc), it goes about 30k lol.
    Oh, I opened mine up for the lulz and found that hardly any of the screws matched and the spark plug was in terrible shape. There was also a hole in the air filter foam. So even though the outside may be nice and shiny the inside is probably shit.

Anyways, if you're just commuting it should be sweet as, just avoid any steep hills, hahaha

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae View Post
    I've heard that the Yamaha Jog is the best one out there. I currently ride a Yamaha Vino, it's hilarious. The speedo goes up to sixty and (although I'm sure it's a tad optimistic) on the flats/downhill the needle hits sixty but I'm still accelerating
    However it's awful going up hills (as you should expect from a 50cc), it goes about 30k lol.
    Oh, I opened mine up for the lulz and found that hardly any of the screws matched and the spark plug was in terrible shape. There was also a hole in the air filter foam. So even though the outside may be nice and shiny the inside is probably shit.

Anyways, if you're just commuting it should be sweet as, just avoid any steep hills, hahaha
    yamaha jog

as tested by me

Bike
    -
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...0&postcount=13

I have my Jog regularly pinned between 60 and 70kph (IAS), that is if they had bothered to put a 70 on the speedo

Seriously, its a great little scoot.
    Watch out for tow ropes and quickly braking cars

Thread Information