Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First scooter - any advice?

Bike
    None yet!

First scooter - any advice?

Hi

Im looking at getting my first scooter just to go to uni and back. I don't wanna go spending thousands on something just for that, so looking at spending between $1000 and $1500.

I've been looking on TradeMe and been to a few shops to have a look. There seems to be a lot of unheard of Chinese brands going pretty cheap but I've been told to steer clear of them??

From what I've read and heard, sticking to the trusted Japanese brands or maybe Taiwanese is the way to go. So Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, SYM, PGO are the brands I've read/heard about. In particular I've been looking at a 2006 SYM Jet Euro X, for about $1200, looks pretty tidy, but isn't a brand that I'd heard of before doing a bit of research. Any thoughts on these? Or does anyone own one??

Any other thoughts or advise!? Any other brands that can be trusted?

Please no one telling me to get a bike, I don't want a bike just a bit of advise on scooters!

Cheers
    Adam

Bike
    Suzuki UZ125
    I would suggest you are pretty much on the money with the brands you are looking at. I havn't tested the SYM jet models but the mio 50 and 100 are bloody good kit. For that sort of money you should be able to get something reasonable. A fairly oldish jap 2 stroke or something like the SYM. I would advise you ride a few and do some homework. Make sure it goes fast enough to flow with traffic, that may mean deristricting on newer models if it hasn't already been done. the older Honda's etc go pretty good as they come. do however look for something with a front disc brake as the old drum front models tend to not stop... pretty much at all.

Bike
    Vespa GT200, LML Vespa 130, Honda NXR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Fuego View Post
    do however look for something with a front disc brake as the old drum front models tend to not stop... pretty much at all.
    The difference between slowing down and stopping...

Bike
    Guzzi

avoid the honda today

Hi
    Whatever you do don't get a Honda Today - it will take untiltomorrow to get there and you will feel like all the other vehicles on the road are going to run you down.
    Better to get a good second hand Jap or Taiwanese scoot (Sym, PGO, TGB, Kymco) that is NOT restricted and ride it on a learners. E.G.Try a PGO PMX 110 - fairly quick and good initial acceleration.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    yamaha jog-no contest, i have ridden most of the ones on the market, the suzukis have a shit finish on em

Bike
    '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    you are right not to go for chinese scooters. they are horrible. a local courier man i met at their depot bought a 6 month old chinese scooter second hand that just died on him (totally unrepairable and can't start and everything) a few weeks after shelling out 950 bucks for it.

SYM's taiwanese and at the same plant, they also assemble yamahas - this was what i was told at a local dealer who does both brands (i ended up buying a yamaha cos despite being the same price the yamaha didn't require a baseplate to mount a topbox).

i would skip buying a brand new scooter if this is your first. you will probably end up selling it for something else later, or modifying it (voiding the warranty) . look around trademe - as winter draws near, the price begins to fall a little.

good luck and ride safe!

Bike
    Yamaha TDM
    got a 2003 PGO for sale....
    3000 ks...PM me if inyterested.

Bike
    Sym Jet Euro X 50
    Hey there. I have 2007 SYM Jet Euro X which I am happy with. I scoot round Wellington which has a few hills and the bike is sweet. I guess that the previous owner had the restrictors removed as it does 60-65km on the flat easy enough (no wind). The quality is fine and my helmet fits under the lockable seat. All in all a good little first scoot. If you can find one for the price you are looking at I don't think you will be unhappy. Hope this helps.

Mark.

Bike
    2015 GSR750
    just make sure you buy a pair of high heels, skirt and handbag to match your scooter.

Scooters are made for ladies my friend.

Bike
    Pillion
    I find my Honda Today goes fine....guy in shop insisted it could never go over 50kms and it does quite easily

Bike
    Sym Jet Euro X 50
    I joined Kiwibiker to try and get some advice but instead I see it is full of clowns who have the 'I'm so much better than you because I have a bigger bike attitude'. Well my guess is these people are trying to compensate for something else...my friend.

Bike
    A big one
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Ted View Post
    I joined Kiwibiker to try and get some advice but instead I see it is full of clowns who have the 'I'm so much better than you because I have a bigger bike attitude'.
    What is a bike attitude??

Well my guess is these people are trying to compensate for something else...my friend.
    Too many girlfriends hanging around?? Would you like one or two of the sloppier ones sending your way?

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    I joined Kiwibiker to try and get some advice but instead I see it is full of clowns who have the 'I'm so much better than you because I have a bigger bike attitude'. Well my guess is these people are trying to compensate for something else...my friend.
    thats KB...
    lots a shit talking.
    not much action

Bike
    -
    I second the Yamaha Jog, quick for a 50cc, and reliable. Big under seat storage for all your shit as well.
    Watch out for tow ropes and quickly braking cars

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    thats HAMILTON lots a shit talking.
    not much action

Really?..................

Thread Information