Thread: Kiwitrackdays Training Day

Bike
    08 CRF 450, 2K RSV-R

Kiwitrackdays Training Day

Im not the best at this, but thought yesturday was worth a bit of a review.

It was the first full Training day run by Steve at KiwiTrackdays, and he did a pretty good job overall.

There was only 24 spots availiable, so you had to be "in to win", Keeping the numbers low worked very well as far as instructor time, but did make it a bit pricey. Considering track costs etc, it might be worth him doing this on a weekday instead.

The day started off with some classroom time, discussing some general Techniques with Tony Ree's and then a full session on suspension setup and function with Robert Taylor.

After that there was a quick walk of the short track, discussing lines, braking points etc, then it was track time

The track sessions were split into two groups, with ten minute sessions to start with on the short track. This was very similar to any other track day, with flag marshals and ambulance in attendance.
    This worked really well for initial setup with Robert, and generally following the instructors round.

after two sessions of this, there was a race start session, with instruction then riders lining up in pairs and given flag starts. and then tips for your next attempt.

After this the full track was opened up and the sessions were extended to 15-20 mins. It was during these sessions that the one on one time with the instructors really came to the forefront. With the small numbers, everyone that wanted one on one time got it.

Robert continued to move among the riders in between sessions helping any who wanted/needed it.

Overall, i found the day to be invaluable, going into it, I wasnt sure how much I would get out of it, (from experiance of other "training" days), but by the end of the day, my bike felt safer (setup) and the corners flowed a lot better. I now have a new personal best round the full track (1.38.9), and that was on a new bike that I had never ridden before.

I would like to Thank the Instructors, Tony Rees and Paul Dobbs, Robert Taylor from Ohlins, The tyre guy (bugger his name eludes me) from Pirelli, who was very helpfull (even though Im a Dunlop rider).
    And a final Cheers to Steve and his team, it was a very productive day and a bloody good first attempt.
    XLR8 Racing
    Spectrum Motorcycles
    Computerforce
    Metzler, Maxima oils

Bike
    the one and only Gixer 1000
    lets just see if it paid of on friday aye.....

pfucken....s 138.9 is smokin bro.......

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking that Brian would be there to show us all what he leant today. But no show. Gah and Leong did!!!!
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    08 CRF 450, 2K RSV-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Trousers View Post
    I was thinking that Brian would be there to show us all what he leant today. But no show. Gah and Leong did!!!!
    Wish I could have been there, but ran out of dosh, and my ride was heading back
    Just ask Leong how much video footage he got of me on Sat (considering he USED to be faster than me)
    XLR8 Racing
    Spectrum Motorcycles
    Computerforce
    Metzler, Maxima oils

Bike
    WR269f, WR450f
    Sounds like ya got your moneys worth out of the day mate,would've been good to have ya there on Sunday

Bike
    GSX-R600 K6, 07 CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherWC View Post
    Wish I could have been there, but ran out of dosh, and my ride was heading back
    Just ask Leong how much video footage he got of me on Sat (considering he USED to be faster than me)
    Haha, that was funny!!. I thought he was going to be faster on the straights, but B***er me if he wasn't even faster round the tight stuff!!! I got about 5 seconds of video of him each time he went past... then he was GONE!! Obviously the new bike makes a difference... but he must have been riding it well too. Was my first day on a "new" bike too and we've worked out why, apart from my time away from the track, I wasn't up to my previous pace - whiich is nowhere near a 1.38 anyway!

And yes Steve did very well with the training day. Definitely great to have a team of people providing the instruction. Certainly well worth considering if you want to improve your bike setup and riding skills.
    When in Taupo, stay with Paul and Sandy at CHANTILLYS MOTOR LODGE
    For Suzuki Parts call Dan at COLEMANS SUZUKI - For Tyres ask for Danny at BOTANY HONDA

Thread Information