Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Fork cartridges...Ohlins vs Traxxion

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by k14 View Post
    Can you retro fit ohlins caps to oem forks? Would be very handy on the RS. Takes at least 30 mins to change the springs on that. Quite a monotous process and something I tend to shy away from at the track. Being able to do it in 5 mins with (buy the sounds) one or two spanners sounds very appetising.
    Youve concurred with excatly what I was eluding to with two key points 1) monotonous process ( actually frustrating ) and 2) ''tend to shy away from at the track'' ...which means very often the spring rate you have raced on might not actually be ideal.

With respect to fitting an Ohlins top cap its also about the boss on top of the main cartridge rod. Not impossible but it would be a nasty job. The specific Ohlins 125cc road race forks have this quick change system, these forks are available at $5999 incl. Before there are howls about the price from certain quarters pricing new RS125 ones would be an interesting exercise.

One other thing that I failed to previously mention is that you absolutely do not have to remove the forks to change the springs or to use a cumbersome and fiddly to use spring changer manipulated down the length of the fork leg.

Products designed by engineers rather than accountants normally are nicer to work with! Those that have actually changed springs in Ohlins racing cartridges or have closely viewed the whole exercise will know exactly what I am talking about. If during the Nationals we were still using products that still employ the standard oem top caps we would have been frustrated to hell about it. The real world value of those caps cannot be underestimated.

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Just to clarify.... 15 minutes total to change the springs, from the bike sitting on it's wheels with one set of springs installed, to ready to ride with the other set installed, and that included letting any oil on the springs coming out being allowed to drain into the legs
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Youve concurred with excatly what I was eluding to with two key points 1) monotonous process ( actually frustrating ) and 2) ''tend to shy away from at the track'' ...which means very often the spring rate you have raced on might not actually be ideal.

With respect to fitting an Ohlins top cap its also about the boss on top of the main cartridge rod. Not impossible but it would be a nasty job. The specific Ohlins 125cc road race forks have this quick change system, these forks are available at $5999 incl. Before there are howls about the price from certain quarters pricing new RS125 ones would be an interesting exercise.

One other thing that I failed to previously mention is that you absolutely do not have to remove the forks to change the springs or to use a cumbersome and fiddly to use spring changer manipulated down the length of the fork leg.

Products designed by engineers rather than accountants normally are nicer to work with! Those that have actually changed springs in Ohlins racing cartridges or have closely viewed the whole exercise will know exactly what I am talking about. If during the Nationals we were still using products that still employ the standard oem top caps we would have been frustrated to hell about it. The real world value of those caps cannot be underestimated.
    Hmm, $6k. I'll get back to you on that one...

Seeing as I'm ususally doing it by myself I'll normally take the front wheel out. Then i need to find something to hold each fork leg in the compressed position to get some of it protruding out the top. Then its the hard bit of compressing the spring (usually by hand) enough to slide the 17mm spanner underneath the cap to loosen it. Then you slip off and dent the tank or graze your knuckles. Hmm, 6 grand you say....

P.S. Brand new set of oem forks go for roughly $2k.

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Quote Originally Posted by GSVR View Post

One thing is for sure when a tyre starts to cold shear like that it will only get worse.
    Hmmmmm, I dunno if I should get involved in this or not......

.....but I fitted a nearly new slick to the rear of my R1 for the Rider Instruction Day at Toe-paw. As the day went on and my pace increased, my rear tyre was well on the way to emulating Tony's pic's, to the point where I was seriously worried it wasn't going to last for Sunday's race day.

The ol' girl is fitted with an Ohlins rear shock but as became evident when Robert cast his expert eye over it, and the bike history, the thing was well overdue for a freshen up. Even so once Robert had set it up as best he could (my apologies Robert, for the compromises you as an obvious perfectionist had to make) the bike felt much more settled and the tyre slowly but surely looked better as the weekend wore on.

So, given the cost of tyres I have absolutely no doubt that the cost of freshening up the suspenders or fitting quality suspension will well and truly be recouped... even for a Clubman's level racer like myself.

Bike
    SV400
    Yep I should refrain from using quotes from other racers. Seriously Slowpoke I'm not even sure what size or compound tyre to use anymore. Manufacturers guidelines aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Dunlop recommends 23 psi in some of their slicks.

Bike
    08 CRF 450, 2K RSV-R
    Quote Originally Posted by GSVR View Post
    Yep I should refrain from using quotes from other racers. Seriously Slowpoke I'm not even sure what size or compound tyre to use anymore. Manufacturers guidelines aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Dunlop recommends 23 psi in some of their slicks.
    actually its 22psi hot off the warmers, and its only the ntech rears
    XLR8 Racing
    Spectrum Motorcycles
    Computerforce
    Metzler, Maxima oils

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherWC View Post
    actually its 22psi hot off the warmers, and its only the ntech rears

Are you sure its 22 and not 22.5 because the page I'm reading says 21cold and 23 hot.

I don't want to start a war over 1 psi.

pt

Thread Information