Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Speeding, ouch..................

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

oh dear

163km in a 100km speed zone is a tad pushing your luck when the cops are around... just pay the fine off at $10 a week like a lot of kiwi's do....
    28 days without ya bike.... hope they secure it in a safe place for ya til you go and pick it up....

Bike
    Blog Entries
    it's 28 days suspension. the bike shouldn't have been impounded, unless it's gone under the 'unnecessary display of speed or acceleration' BR rules

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    OK now im a bit 2 faced about this,

a) i would have to be pretty balsy to stop if i was doin 160+, been there done that and you may as well resist arrest cos you aint got much more left to lose.

b) but i mean come on passing on double yellows - why the hell would you do that? Im all against the severe punish of speed exceeders (if the money went to an organisation i would feel better, but to the govt....get fucked), but bein a (suicidal) person, passing on double yellows????? They saved your ass for next time when you cant even walk away

But then again im another kamakazi sometimes, do as i say, not as i do
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger
    I think that there are only about 3 places in NZ where you can legally overtake a vehicle that's travelling at 90-95 k's. But 160 is pushing it...
    Have you been here for quite a while? In your situation I'd have kept my UK license handy...
    "Sorry guv, just a tourist here. Thought it was 100 miles an hour, that's 160 kays, innit?"
    I know a few people who've done that.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by alarumba
    The police is just another buisness out there to make money. It's not about making the roads safer. No warnings, just fines. Don't stop people tail-gating, just stop people speeding and take their money.
    That's right. Blame the cops. They made Pete the Pom pass the truck at such a speed then pushed him over the lines to make even more money. I have come to realise that the frustration I vented here over the period of time was not with the cops that gave me tickets on the road but with the lack of action with the cops in other matters. No time to help out to recover the stolen tools etc but stick your noise out on the road and BAMMMMMMMMMMMMM money please.
    So do the speed, pay the fine, and tell us all about it. it does help. Could even slow some of us down.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey
    Have you been here for quite a while? In your situation I'd have kept my UK license handy...
    "Sorry guv, just a tourist here. Thought it was 100 miles an hour, that's 160 kays, innit?"
    Now that's clever.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by spudchucka
    And you'll probably find yourself locked up for obstruction, or stupidity, which ever way you want to look at it.
    I'd go with the 'stupidity' one - even if there's no such offence!! (bloody prisons would be even more chocka if it was!)
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey
    So do I, they still got the ticket.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    Nothing At the Moment
    We should expect a crazy story from 'the one' about now...
    Every Day Is A Good Day With Two Scoops Of Raisins Peter
    ~Family Guy~

Bike
    '98 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Interesting comments from all of you. As far as the double yellows goes, we all know that there are places where you can safely cross them to pass, such as on the exit to a sweeping right hander wich goes onto a long straight away with excellent visibility in light traffic, such as this morning. Most road markings are calibrated to 4 or more wheeled traffic(they needf a lot more space to overtake for instance, so where it's not safe for a car to overtake, it may be safe for a bike to overtake)

I'm not here to get sympathy, simply sharing my experience and I still stand by what I say, a 28 day license suspension for speeding is ridiculous, look at it this way, if I get it wrong on a bike, I pay the price and thats a risk I am willing to take, speed and thrills are, after all the whole point of motorbikes and ANYONE who disagree's with that is deluded or delusional, take your pick. So I do agree with gixer, do the speed, pay the fine, end of story...but lose my license? How about better driver education instead of draconian laws, anyway I could go on.....personally, given the road conditions, visibility(although as I didn't see the copper(unmarked car but) until he was up my chuff with blues and twos going, visibility is a moot point) and traffic I don't think 160 was pushing it, well within the abilities of bike and rider and yes I know it's not me but the other guy but thats my choice to take that risk, I DO NOT SPEED IN URBAN SITUATIONS, only on the open road.

I got my bike back courtesy of a trailer on the back of my truck(which someone else drove!) the telling point of this whole situation is this, whilst I accept that I should be punished for 'breaking the law' I don't accept that that punishment should jepaordize my very existence by removing my ability to earn a living, how many land agents do you know who don't/can't drive, it's pathetic! However there is a potential solution in the offing, will tell you all about it tomorrow if I manage to pull it off............
    Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Bike
    2004 Voxan Roadster & 1995 Honda NTV650

Demerits

Ching Ching wrote "I didn't know your demerits last for 2 years from time of infringement either."

Well bud, those points last forever if you keep topping them up inside 2 years since you last got caught. And, they don't run from time of infringement either, they tally from date of PAYMENT. Sooooo, record your date of payment somewhere and play it safe for a couple of years, OR, if you're getting real close to losing it just plan a 3 month overseas holiday and blat past a cop. Unless that is unless you've racked 'em up inside a year in which case you'll need a six month holiday!

The other sneak is to delay payment if you can until the two years is up, that way you don't add the insult to the injury and you get an almost clean slate for another two years if you're careful.

Not a lot of people know that. Bugger the IRD and the cops, I say its OUR job to be fair!
    Reality is an illusion encouraged by consensus.

Bike

Delayed fines payment

Quote Originally Posted by crashe
    163km in a 100km speed zone is a tad pushing your luck when the cops are around... just pay the fine off at $10 a week like a lot of kiwi's do....
    28 days without ya bike.... hope they secure it in a safe place for ya til you go and pick it up....
    But read my prev post. That just means your two years starts from when you finished paying instead of from now! Kind of changes things huh?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteThePom
    Interesting comments from all of you.

I DO NOT SPEED IN URBAN SITUATIONS, only on the open road.

I got my bike back courtesy of a trailer on the back of my truck(which someone else drove!) the telling point of this whole situation is this, whilst I accept that I should be punished for 'breaking the law' I don't accept that that punishment should jepaordize my very existence by removing my ability to earn a living, how many land agents do you know who don't/can't drive, it's pathetic! However there is a potential solution in the offing, will tell you all about it tomorrow if I manage to pull it off............
    Most fatals occur on the open road...

Hmmm, most of the members on this site complain only about the monetary penalty and not the loss of licence aspect whereas you have taken the opposite approach...
    EVERYBODY has a reason why the can't afford to lose their licence (me included I s'pose!) but bet you don't make this mistake twice eh?

Bike

Pete the Poms weeeee

Here's his other post from the bike importing thread:
    " As for monitoring my speed here in NZ(the dark blue kph indicators are hard to read at speed) I just go with the traffic when in town and well....let rip once I'm in the sticks....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Must have a urinary infection! Bet he's even more pissed off now!

Bike
    look at it this way, if I get it wrong on a bike, I pay the price and thats a risk I am willing to take,............
    No this is not true. What about the people you leave behind? What about the people who are in what you hit? What about their family and friends? I was keen on going hard and fast for a long time but I have got old and though I still give the Gixxer a hard run from time to time I have realised the cost of what could happen. Both money and people. For every action there is a reaction. Maybe I should sell the sports bike if I am not going to hit the 220 km/h mark every week but the reality is great pain for others if not for you when you expire. Not to mention the people that have to clean up the physical mess.

speed and thrills are, after all the whole point of motorbikes and ANYONE who disagree's with that is deluded or delusional, take your pick.,............
    So explain Harley Davidson then. Oh you mean sports bikes. Sorry But there are race tracks for them

So I do agree with gixer, do the speed, pay the fine, end of story...but lose my license? How about better driver education instead of draconian laws, ,............
    This I agree with. But I would be pissed off if I had to take time off work to go to a training day or two. If I am not working here the work is not getting done. Hence my attitude to the hard out speed now days

know it's not me but the other guy but thats my choice to take that risk, I DO NOT SPEED IN URBAN SITUATIONS, only on the open road..,............
    You ever worked on the road side and or be at an accident? This is not your place to go hard and endanger others. I know I sound a bit like a reformed smoker but life is short so do not take risks that could shorten other peoples.

Mind you I like the blast from time to time and understand where you are coming from. Just that I look too far ahead at the moment.

Thread Information