Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Speeding, ouch..................

Bike
    Super Adventure 1290s, Bonnie T214
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    Got some real issues with the HP havent you ?
    No more than the average biker I guess. To be honest, the H.P's I've had the misfortune to meet have been really polite, nice (hmm) guys. In total contrast to UK traffic cops who are really brash, loud and aggressive.

I just hate geeting caught speeding!
    This weeks international insult is in Malayalam:

Thavalayolee
    You Frog Fucker

Bike
    2001 Suzuki GSF250V
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteThePom
    Really? What part of "such as on the exit to a sweeping right hander wich goes onto a long straight away with excellent visibility in light traffic" don't you understand?

I could see for well over a 100 metres clear road in front of the truck I was passing, so no objects, stationery or otherwise were 'invisible' to me...................so I was not passing at an inappropriate time and I'm not bloody dead!!!
    Apart from the fact failed to notice a cop and couldn't slow down in time to avoid losing your license. So obviously you weren't paying that much attention and didn't have that much control.
    Look, it's an itsy bitsy Bandit.

Bike
    1996 Yamaha SRV250
    Quote Originally Posted by Judderbar
    I would gladly accept the fact "You got me" and take the points like a man. In the past 3 yrs I have had 2 tickets one for 111kmh and one for 116kmh. Both in a 100kmh zone. On a clear day.
    Some Quick Questions:
    Is 111kmh > 100Kmh?
    Is 116kmh > 100kmh?
    Was the speed limit 100kmh?
    Are demerit points handed out for getting caught exceeding the speed limit?

Comment:
    I speed on occasions. Hey - I went out on a ride on a Learner's permit and had the bike up to 130. I didn't get done. I'm lucky, but I knew the risks when I chose to do 130. *shrug* My choice. Don't wanna get the points? Don't speed ... simple.

Just because we choose to do something that is illegal, doesn't make it any less illegal, even if it is a nice straight road, nothing coming, nice clear visibility, perfectly safe at 320 Kmh, 111 is still 11k over the limit.
    Yokai - bendamindaday

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    I tend to agree with Mike L on this, its sad fact that the person who this will most effect is the poor sod who gets pinged for 111kmh and over two yrs manages to accumalate enough points to loose his licence. Was this person a danger on the road. I doupt it. Where as the real problem, (the guy doing 160-200 and overtaking where ever he feels, you know the guy, he is also indestructible) Doesnt worry whether he has or hasnt got a licence. I dont mind the fine for 111kmh (though at the time I do get annoyed) But c'mon giving demerit points out for it, is a bit harsh, Why dont they lift the point at which the demerit points are given out for speeding, anything over 120 and I would gladly accept the fact "You got me" and take the points like a man. In the past 3 yrs I have had 2 tickets one for 111kmh and one for 116kmh. Both in a 100kmh zone. On a clear day. The 111kmh was even funny I was in a stream of traffic, I just happened to be the guy on the end. The officer attempted to give me a leaflet on the dangers of speeding. Im afraid I just laughed and gave it him back. I already had the ticket so no point being polite about it. Jumped into the cage and accelerated back up to 110kmh.
    The majority of people who are aginst speed enforcement say that the problem is that it is centred around revenue collecting. Now you are suggesting that fining people is the way to go and that dishing out demerit points is over the top.

What would have the greater impact on getting the general motoring public to slow down, increased fines or increased demerit points and therefore a greater chance of losing your licence?

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spudchucka
    What would have the greater impact on getting the general motoring public to slow down, increased fines or increased demerit points and therefore a greater chance of losing your licence?
    Probably points. Yeah, definitely points. I'd say the points, yeah.

You can skip out of paying fines, but the points are unavoidable, relentless, implacable, gnarsty.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokai
    Hey - I went out on a ride on a Learner's permit and had the bike up to 130. I didn't get done. I'm lucky, but I knew the risks when I chose to do 130.
    I would just like to say, I had nothing to do with this, was not involved in such way or form. Didnt do it, nobody saw me do it, cant prove anything.

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries

just as an aside - Biff Baff, what are you doing using my avatar?
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Super Adventure 1290s, Bonnie T214
    Quote Originally Posted by celticno6

just as an aside - Biff Baff, what are you doing using my avatar?
    Sorry dude - I actually nicked it from a UK biking forum. Mine doesn't look as sexy as yours though as it's not animated.

Wrist duly slapped and currently looking for a replacement.
    This weeks international insult is in Malayalam:

Thavalayolee
    You Frog Fucker

Bike
    2015 S1000RR
    Some Quick Questions:
    Is 111kmh > 100Kmh?
    Is 116kmh > 100kmh?
    Was the speed limit 100kmh?
    Are demerit points handed out for getting caught exceeding the speed limit?

Comment:
    I speed on occasions. Hey - I went out on a ride on a Learner's permit and had the bike up to 130. I didn't get done. I'm lucky, but I knew the risks when I chose to do 130. *shrug* My choice. Don't wanna get the points? Don't speed ... simple.

Just because we choose to do something that is illegal, doesn't make it any less illegal, even if it is a nice straight road, nothing coming, nice clear visibility, perfectly safe at 320 Kmh, 111 is still 11k over the limit.

I agree, but you have missed my point. By all means hit my wallet if you have to for 111kmh. I just feel it targets the wrong person when you average joe ends up losing his licence for having collected speeding infringements for 111 kmh-120kmh within two years. Was this person a danger on the road, NO. I just feel that the fines should happily start at 111km. (I would rather they didnt, but wouldnt everyone) But the demerit points should kick a little higher.
    I have no problem with either, I just dont feel it neccessary targets the right person, it more or less just pisses people off. If you get a ticket for 111kmh on a straight piece of road on a nice day, what are you going to think, "hmmm I was going to fast, I better slow down." If thats how you think, great your better than me.
    The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.

Bike
    1996 Yamaha SRV250
    I agree, but you have missed my point. By all means hit my wallet if you have to for 111kmh. I just feel it targets the wrong person when you average joe ends up losing his licence for having collected speeding infringements for 111 kmh-120kmh within two years.
    sorry, but average Joe is consistently exceeding the speed limit by more than 10% - he deserves it. He knows as well as we do what the penalties are

Was this person a danger on the road, NO. I just feel that the fines should happily start at 111km. (I would rather they didnt, but wouldnt everyone) But the demerit points should kick a little higher.
    I'd claim he was a danger on the road, because he wilfully exceeds the speed limit by more than 10% consistently. He just can't get it through his thick skull... Would you trust someone like that to drive you around? I wouldn't...
    I have no problem with either, I just dont feel it neccessary targets the right person, it more or less just pisses people off. If you get a ticket for 111kmh on a straight piece of road on a nice day, what are you going to think, "hmmm I was going to fast, I better slow down." If thats how you think, great your better than me.
    Nah - I'm gonna be pissed off... hey - I got SERIOUSLY upset in the cage when I just got here and thought that the limit was 110 and got pulled for 113.... But really what we get most pissed of at is ourselves for not spotting the cop or taking reasonable precautions to avoid the speeding ticket...

Yup - I think "F*** that - I can drive better than that, and do, and that's unreasonable" but then sanity and rationality kick in and I think "Well - that's the law ... Stuffed up there didn't I"

It's a matter of perspective. There are people out there that shouldn't travel at 4kmh let alone 84 .... The speed limit is there for a reason - you (or I) choose to break it, then we deserve what the law says. *shrug*
    Yokai - bendamindaday

Bike
    2015 S1000RR
    I agree but my point is taking away the licence of someone who has realistically only exceeded the speed limit by a small percentage will not stop the person that I perceive as the real danger as (boyracer, hoon, NUT) will continue to drive, all you will do is antagonise (spelling, hehehe) the average joe. Personally a fine is a great deteritant as far as Im concerned but only up to 120kmh at which point the points system can kick in as well. Hey after that point it wouldnt worry me if it was 2 strikes and your gone (loss of licence for 3 months.) Plus a fine. I just feel if the average guy looses his licence for minor speed offences, that wont slow him down, it will just piss him off.
    I had a quick scout around and found this:

In recent years the amount and the visibility of speed enforcement has increased. The increase in both types of speed infringement notices reflects a decrease in enforcement tolerances and a policy of issuing tickets rather than warnings. The advent of a dedicated State Highway Patrol has resulted in a sharp increase in non-camera speeding infringement notices, particularly to vehicles travelling at speeds between 111 and 120 km/h.

http://www.rsconference.com/pdf/RS030064.pdf?check=1

THis is from 2002.

I gladly except everytime I dip over the speed limit I may get a ticket. Just I feel at times the wrong particulars of speeding are being pushed on us. Speed kills no denying, but so does poorly built roading, drunk driver, poorly sign posted roads, bad driving habits. The list can go on.
    As is stated above it is clear the LOW end of the exceeding the speed limit has been targeted, I imagine it still is.
    The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by spudchucka
    The points for me but my son who is studying money for him. So there you go.
    Most people are frustrated with the lack of police action on non road crime. Then when they speed they get hit hard. Just the way it is. I came out swinging here from time to time but took me a while to figure out it was the lack of other policing that was the problem not the road tickets.

Bike
    1996 Yamaha SRV250

speed limit + ??

I would say that minor infractions of the speed limit are to a certain extent unavoidable. I think that the big thing here is that 111kmh is 11% over the limit. The speed limit in this country is 100kmh, not 110 - that there is a "leeway" extended beyond that, is not there for us to take advantage of; rather it is to allow those minor infractions to be corrected by the driver/rider.

I'd rather see the 120 speed limit that is on US highways (west of the Mississippi only). But that isn't the point. I know that it is frustrating to get done for 111 or 113, but the point is that this is not only over the speed limit but also beyond the point where the driver/rider should have corrected.

These people that continuously travel at over 100 (+ their little bit on occasion) while picking up tickets deserve to lose their licences. They are irresponsible. It's like saying you shouldn't put someone in Jail for continuously stealing Moro bars over a period of 2 years when they have been cautioned lots of times. Of course you should - they are fscking irresponsible.

Now... am I irresponsible? Probably. Do I try to get away with stuff? Yes. But if I knew that I had a chance of losing my licence because of speeding and knowing that I only had 3 demerit points left on it would I speed? NO! I like to ride my bike, I like driving my car... If I got to that situation, I'd not go over 100 if I could help it. And I sure as heck would get back down to 100 as quickly as possible.

It's a matter of consideration - I'm not saying that someone should lose their licence the first time that they go over 100 or 110, what I'm saying is that if someone is stupid enough to keep doing it for 2 years and getting points, then they are too stupid to be trusted to drive/ride for a while, and deserve to be seriously punished.

This hypothetical Average Joe must be some kind of moron if he can't count the points on his licence and the number of months he has to drive without exceeding the 100 kmh speed limit.

If the speed limit were 110, I'd agree fully with your points, JB
    Yokai - bendamindaday

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    It's like saying you shouldn't put someone in Jail for continuously stealing Moro bars over a period of 2 years when they have been cautioned lots of times.
    Hmm... incarceration for recidivist chocolate bar thieves...

Some might say there are ways of dealing with such problems more appropriate to the gravity of the offence...
    Age is too high a price to pay for maturity

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    The advent of a dedicated State Highway Patrol has resulted in a sharp increase in non-camera speeding infringement notices, particularly to vehicles travelling at speeds between 111 and 120 km/h.
    ... which must have contributed significantly to the drop in average speeds, since most speeding is likely to be concentrated in this range. What, I wonder, is the change in the number of people travelling in excess of 120?
    Age is too high a price to pay for maturity

Thread Information